2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - katiekatie24

Hi. I am looking for a used car for around 6-7k which I think could get me around 5 years old car. I quite like the look of a Ford Fiesta ( 1.1L or 1L ecoboost) and Toyota Yaris 1.3L petrol cars (both 2016 models). I'm having hard time deciding between the two so was hoping for some opinions on which on may be a better choice? I'd like the car to be nice to drive but also reliable.

Thanks.

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - Xileno

Provided you get the Fiesta 1.25 (Yamaha) then there's not much to separate the Fiesta and Yaris for reliability. Many on here will say to avoid the Ecoboost.

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - badbusdriver

£7k is actually enough to get you into 2019 or 2020 car depending on exactly what you want from it.

As Xileno says, the 1.0 Ecoboost engine in the Ford would probably be best avoided. And you don't get a 1.1 Fiesta * so not sure what you were looking at?. The 1.25 or 1.4 Fiesta is absolutely fine, and the Yaris, like most Toyota's, is legendary for its reliability.

*Edit, actually you did, but its been a very long time since a 1.1 Fiesta was was part of the range, 1995 I think.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/03/2021 at 13:15

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - daveyjp
£7k will get you a last model Yaris 1.5. We’ve had one for three years and no issues whatsoever which is what we expected!

I’d avoid the 1.0. You may be tempted by price, but it’s no more efficient and the 1.5 having over 100hp is a better all rounder.
2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - JonestHon

The Yaris will be the 1.33 from that year, the 1.3 was dropped earlier during the MK2 model run.

It's a small difference in displacement but a different engine all together, the old 1.3 was pumping out 85 bhp while the 1.33 is a 99bhp, the car weight is similar so the 1.33 is fairly zippy.

I would go for a Yaris Mk3 with the 1.5 displacement, this gives you a 111 horses and it is a very relaxed car to drive and is in your budget.

Edited by JonestHon on 01/03/2021 at 13:19

I would go for a Yaris Mk3 with the 1.5 displacement, this gives you a 111 horses and it is a very relaxed car to drive and is in your budget.

Agreed, but very few 1.5's available under £7k, 3 on Autotrader, 2 of which have over 70k miles.

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - skidpan

For your budget you can find the excellent Skoda Fabia 1.0 TSi from as new as 2017. Its slightly bigger than the Fiesta and Yaris and with the excellent TSi engine performs better and is more economical that the Fiesta and Yaris.

You will also see 1.2 TSi's at this price/age and whilst they are OK having driven both I can say that the 1.0 is way better, its the one we own.

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - nellyjak

For me, it would be the Yaris every time.

Had several and had nil trouble with any of them.

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - Steveieb

Apart from the legendary reliability of the Yaris, I’m told to avoid the automatic on this year.

But can some one confirm that there is no cam belt to worry about on the Yaris, whereas the Fiesta has one ?

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - JonestHon

Not sure about the Fiesta but every European/Turkish Toyota since 2007 has a chain.

Apart from the legendary reliability of the Yaris, I’m told to avoid the automatic on this year.

But can some one confirm that there is no cam belt to worry about on the Yaris, whereas the Fiesta has one ?

Not sure which car you are talking about re the auto, but in the case of the Fiesta, the 2015/2016 cars will use the Powershift DCT which should be avoided. To get a Fiesta with a reliable auto transmission and engine, you'd have to go for a 6th gen, pre-facelift, 1.4. So that is 2008/9-2012/13. 5th gen 1.4 auto used the Durashift automated manual (though weirdly, the 1.6 used a t/c auto). 6th gen post-facelift introduced the Powershift mated to a 1.6 (later replaced by the Ecoboost). Current shape Fiesta's use a t/c auto (hurrah!), but with the Ecoboost (boo!).

With the Yaris, since the 2011 model came out, all petrol auto's are CVT and have no problems. The Yaris hybrid uses a different type of transmission, but is also very reliable.

Having a belt is not something to worry about unless you are lax regarding having the car serviced. And, having a chain does not mean no problems. Earlier VAG TSI engines which used a chain were unreliable because of this, whereas the newer versions with belt are fine. Also, neglecting old changes on a chain engine will cause problems.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/03/2021 at 18:10

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - primus 1

Oh gawd....somebody mentioned ecoboost....

2015-2016 - Toyota Yaris or Ford Fiesta? - Xileno

Fiesta 1.25 has a belt. Easy job on these so nothing to worry about.