Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - ExA35Owner

We have about£6k to spend on a 5 door petrol auto, used for shopping, school run, occasionally 150 motorway miles. Somewhere in the Fiesta, Yaris, etc market. Considering Yaris, Rio, Note,

,.... Any thoughts from the collective wisdom? Avoid automated manual systems but is CVT a wise decision?

Thank you all

Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - badbusdriver

CVT absolutely fine at that age apart from the Nissan. So if you wanted a Note, make sure it is the 1st gen car which uses a t/c auto with 1.6 petrol and is a good reliable car (2nd gen uses supercharged 1.2 with CVT). Yaris and Jazz CVT fine, Rio (will be t/c auto at that budget I'd imagine, younger cars use a DCT) and its sister car, the Hyundai i20 also a decent shout.

Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - Avant

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Yaris 'auto' was the unreliable semi-automatic box called MMI up to 2011. when the new model came in with CVT. Manuals should all be fine.

It's worth making sure which transmission is fitted, as there's a sporting chance that the seller won't know.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the Yaris 'auto' was the unreliable semi-automatic box called MMI up to 2011. when the new model came in with CVT. Manuals should all be fine.

It's worth making sure which transmission is fitted, as there's a sporting chance that the seller won't know.

Yes you are right, but we are talking about a £6k car here, so it is unlikely the OP would be looking at the the old, pre-2011 shape. That budget would get you into a 2013ish Yaris or Jazz CVT.

Weirdly, the Rio (and i20) would be around the same age (I had assumed you'd get a younger one for the same money). 1st gen Nissan Note also ran up to 2013, so it would also be around the same age.

I'd happily consider a Fiesta, as long as it was the 6th gen 1.4. This would be up to 2012, after which the 1.6 Powershift took over, which you don't want!. The 1.4 used a t/c auto and is fine reliability wise.

I'd also consider a Suzuki Swift or Mazda 2. Both reliable and use t/c auto, though both a bit less spacious than Yaris, Jazz or Note.

Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - daveyK_UK
If you can live with a slightly smaller car, the i10 auto petrol is very good and easy to work on.

Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - SLO76
Forget anything fitted with VW’s DSG box or Ford’s Powershift. Honda tried automated manual with I-shift and Toyota with MMT and both are also rubbish. Nissan’s with their CVT box are horribly unreliable too.

At this money I’d look at the following.

Mazda 2 auto
Toyota Yaris MK III CVT
Ford Fiesta 1.4/1.6 (pre Powershift)
Hyundai i10 1.2 auto
Kia Picanto auto
Honda Jazz CVT
Suzuki Swift auto
Mk I Nissan Note auto (do not buy the Mk II CVT!)

Look for a well cared for low mileage, full history car that’s been owned long term. Watch for poor quality paint repairs as most are owned by elderly owners and with CVT’s check that any gearbox fluid changes have been carried out. Buy on condition, history and mileage over age and pay extra for a good car up front.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/03/2021 at 10:09

Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - ExA35Owner

Many thanks for all the suggestions. I have very definitely decided against the DSG and Powershift! Inevitably once we are allowed to go shopping again it'll be a question of what's on the market reasonably locally, just in case something goes wrong. Buying in Cornwall while in Northumberland is tempting fate big-time (not that we live in either)!

Pleased with several Suzukis now so may well looks at Swift, but it's all a question of what's there.

Interesting that no-one has suggested a Vauxhall of any sort....

Interesting that no-one has suggested a Vauxhall of any sort....

I'd be happy enough to consider a Corsa 1.4 auto, they are reliable enough cars, and the gearbox is a t/c. £6k is enough to get into a 2015 car, but auto Corsa's not all that common, so not many about. A few years ago we got one as a loan car from a garage, and while I only drove it a couple of times, it was absolutely fine. Maybe a bit less smooth* than the Jazz CVT, but perfectly acceptable.

*I remember it was surprisingly old for a garage loan car, think it was 2007/8, maybe a younger example would be a bit more refined?.

Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - SLO76
The Corsa (petrol) is ok, a bit drab and unremarkable but there’s little to fear from one and they’re good value used. Most autos will be ex mobility and many are abused. Look for cars owned by heavy smokers as the interior is never right again and look for poor, cheap paint repairs carried out before returning the car. Salesman talk up motability as being a positive but you’d be horrified at the standard most of them were returned in.
Toyota Yaris? - Smallish auto £6k - nellyjak
Most autos will be ex mobility and many are abused. Look for cars owned by heavy smokers as the interior is never right again and look for poor, cheap paint repairs carried out before returning the car. Salesman talk up motability as being a positive but you’d be horrified at the standard most of them were returned in.

VERY true...at the dealership I worked at we had many a motabaility car in and frankly many were mobile skips.

We had one guy who used to go park his car up at the local park and let his dog go excerise whilst he sat in the car smoking his pipe....I don't think the valeters ever completely removed the stains or the odour..!!

I'd be very wary of motability cars.