Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 15 months on, - _

Absolutely nothing to report.

1 year 3rd march.

It is comfortable, does the job we want it for and most important of all, zero problems.

Reversing camera very useful.

SWMBO likes it as does the dog.

Just to make you smile.(hopefully) the car is definitely doing better than the owner....

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/05/2021 at 06:47

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - daveyK_UK
Mpg?
Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - _
Mpg?

All my usage has been very very local recently, and honestly.. 29.6 mpg on filling up today. my brim to brim says about 31.1. (i have been counting all along.)

For the other question, no I don't miss the Mg, Kerridges sold it in nov 2020 and it has been mot'd since, but is showing on their website as delivered. for those who can be bothered, you can get the reg number from the advert and see the mileage at MOT and when tax is due.

I sold it at 12, 700 something miles.

The Kia is so much quieter, more composed on the road, and with the 205/70/16 tyres nice and comfy.

No regrets in returning to Kia.

free service next weds.

Happy motoring all.

Edited by _ORB_ on 26/02/2021 at 18:50

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - Metropolis.
Always interesting reading these reports you do, I wonder how the MG has done in its new ownership assuming it was successfully sold on as im guessing it was just near the start of COVID hitting
Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - Avant

It certainly raises a smile, speculating on which of those grounds might be the ones where your performance falls short of the Kia's.

Lack of a reversing camera, probably.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - FP

"Just to make you smile.(hopefully) the car is definitely doing better than the owner...."

I hope that you're well, ORB, and that the above sentence is not a hint of the opposite.

ORB is well if a little weary after his 2nd jab.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - Ethan Edwards

Hi. I had the AZ one last week. A little higher temp for few days and that was about it. Virtually nothing. Hope you are OK.

Hi. I had the AZ one last week. A little higher temp for few days and that was about it. Virtually nothing. Hope you are OK.

Pfizer. 2nd dose on 22nd day.pretty well back to normal this morning.

Back to the car, Was not expecting problems and so it was!

Edited by _ORB_ on 27/02/2021 at 07:12

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - Trilogy.

Always impressed by the look of these cars. Dashboard appears really good too. Would certainly be on my short list if I was looking for a smallish SUV.

One of the things I do like is that the radio display is not full of garish colours.

Everything is to hand , no need to grope for a touchscreen..

Buttons are plenty good enough for me!

Edited by _ORB_ on 27/02/2021 at 19:12

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - John F

Always impressed by the look of these cars. ..... Would certainly be on my short list if I was looking for a smallish SUV.

Only 'smallish' if you are used to an Audi Q7! And 30mpg, even for mainly local, is not very economical. Our slightly smaller sportagey Peugeot 2008 1.2 (same power, much more torque) is doing well over 40mpg, mainly local, top (EAT 6th) gear rarely engaged.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - Galad

My 2 year old Hyundai i30 GDI (petrol) has a similar engine to Kia (Hyundai owns Kia). My daily journeys are also local (4 miles there and back typically), which is why I gave up my diesel (with DPF).

6 months after buying it (new) a warning light came on which the handbook identified as an emissions indicator instructing me to drive the car for up to 30 minutes at 50mph. The car (and I assume all new petrol engine vehicles?) come fitted with a Gas Particulate Filter similar to the DPF system in diesels to clean the soot from the exhaust manifold. After 30 minutes continuous driving the warning light disappeared. Now, the light comes on for me to clear every 5-6 months.

It's a minor inconvenience and caused by my very short journeys but I wonder how many other drivers wouldn't notice/understand the warning light as it looks innocuous (yellow, with a trumpet-like icon)? Handbook says that engine can go into limp mode if regeneration process isn't followed. I did consider a hybrid but self-charging wouldn't be practical with such short journeys and plug-in is too expensive for my budget. Being retired I pay cash for my cars so PCPs are out of the question.

My 2 year old Hyundai i30 GDI (petrol) has a similar engine to Kia (Hyundai owns Kia). My daily journeys are also local (4 miles there and back typically),

6 months after buying it (new) a warning light came on which the handbook identified as an emissions indicator instructing me to drive the car for up to 30 minutes at 50mph. The car (and I assume all new petrol engine vehicles?) come fitted with a Gas Particulate Filter similar to the DPF system in diesels to clean the soot from the exhaust manifold. After 30 minutes continuous driving the warning light disappeared. Now, the light comes on for me to clear every 5-6 months.

I still manageto do some longish journeys lasting between 30 minutes each way and 90 minutes (colchester to Ealing for the dentist) so no problems arisen there.

It's a minor inconvenience and caused by my very short journeys but I wonder how many other drivers wouldn't notice/understand the warning light as it looks innocuous (yellow, with a trumpet-like icon)? Handbook says that engine can go into limp mode if regeneration process isn't followed.

I did consider a hybrid but self-charging wouldn't be practical with such short journeys and plug-in is too expensive for my budget. Being retired I pay cash for my cars so PCPs are out of the question.

PCP should not be out of the question if you 1. Have the means to settle up after a week or so, see other threads on here this week. Some of the discounts are only available with finance.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - badbusdriver

Only 'smallish' if you are used to an Audi Q7! And 30mpg, even for mainly local, is not very economical. Our slightly smaller sportagey Peugeot 2008 1.2 (same power, much more torque) is doing well over 40mpg, mainly local, top (EAT 6th) gear rarely engaged.

In fairness John, the Sportage is at least one category bigger than a 2008. and the economy is due to that n/a petrol in combination with it being a (IMO) fairly big and heavy car. But if you don't cover much miles and are happy with the performance, it isn't a problem.

The closest Kia to your 2008 would be the Stonic. Less than 2cm difference in length (compared with 32.6cm for the Sportage), both have a 350 litre boot (I'm assuming the Sportage has a sliding rear seat, as the figures I have are 439-503 litres), and the Stonic uses a 1.0 turbo petrol, so economy is likely to be much closer.

As said, I also wouldn't consider the Sportage a small, or smallish SUV, but sadly the inexorable increase in car sizes means that manufacturers, and possibly most potential customers, would!.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - mcb100

I'm more jealous of anyone that has done 7300 miles in the last year. I've gone from 30-35,000 to 1500 in the past 12 months...

I'm more jealous of anyone that has done 7300 miles in the last year. I've gone from 30-35,000 to 1500 in the past 12 months...

7710 today at service.

Trips to Heathrow to "rescue" sister in law. and several times to try to get her home.

Trips to London multiple times for PCR tests pre-flight, (then flights cancelled)

Kew gardens when 1st lockdown eased.

ditto Ayleford priory when !st lockdown eased.and Walsingham.

Multiple trips to dentist, ealing, essential medical care, dentist did not want me to go public transport. At first he was dressed up like a frogman...

Bit by bit it has all added up..

At service, nothing to report. Kia free service.

Edited by _ORB_ on 22/05/2021 at 06:52

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - brum

At service, nothing to report. Kia free service.

I've read that Kia dont change oil or filter at 1st service. Maybe they just check nothing's dropped off.

Kia Oil change @ 20.000 miles or 2 years. Not willing to pay £140 extra for the oil change, so will get a filter and get a mate to do it.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - BPL

Kia Oil change @ 20.000 miles or 2 years. Not willing to pay £140 extra for the oil change, so will get a filter and get a mate to do it.

can you buy a genuine filter?

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 1 year on, 7300 miles - alan1302

Have done more than that in 5 months!

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 15 months on, 10000 miles - _

A very boring update to the story....

Nothing to report...

Overall fuel consumption has been 36.5 mpg ish.

Locally it is 30 ish.

Car absolutely fine.

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 15 months on, 10000 miles - nellyjak

There are times when "boring" is absolutely fine.!!

Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 15 months on, 10000 miles - SLO76
With used cars, boring is just grand.
Kia Sportage 1.6gdi 6sp manual - 15 months on, 10000 miles - Engineer Andy

A very boring update to the story....

Nothing to report...

Overall fuel consumption has been 36.5 mpg ish.

Locally it is 30 ish.

Car absolutely fine.

Nickname 'Ron Seal'. Does exactly what it says on the tin, no fuss. 36mpg is not bad for a high-sided car of that size. A Ceed/XCeed/Sportage is on my shortlist for my next car, made handier by my having a well-regarded dealership just around the corner. I also prefer the 7yr warranty over Hyundai's 5yr one, mainly because I don't do that much mileage.

What I like from a car - you only ever see the dealership once a year for the first few years and only occasionally for planned wear and tear maintenance in addition after that. I get to wish my local dealership's staff either a 'merry christmas' or 'happy new year' when mine goes in for its annual service +MOT late Dec/early Jan each year.

Also a good reminder for me to (whilst I 'wait') to go and buy next years crop of birthday and Christmas cars whilst the latter are on sale.