Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - Micky Myers

Hi, A friend has just has a new battery fitted to her Kia Piccanto. The AA man suggested she save money and not to fit a Stop Start Battery. I own a Zafira Tourer 1.6 cdti with Stop-Start. The difference in price between a Stop-Start battery and normal is about £300. I know the stop start works, but never really use the Stop-Start and actively switch it off before it kicks in. I also note that once the car is running optimum after a long run the Start-Stop doesn't kick in anyway! Should I stay clear of a Start-Stop battery if it needs replacing?

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - daveyjp

I'm on my 5th car with stop start and all have had normal batteries from brand new.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - Micky Myers

I didn't know start-stop had been around that long?

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - skidpan

First stop/start car we had was in 2005.

We had 6 more since that one.

Only one has needed a battery and that was a special stop/start type that had to be coded to the car (BMW). It all seemed fine to me but BMW dealer picked it up during a health check for the MOT at 3 years old, replaced FOC. Told me the cost would have been about £250 fitted etc.

Edited by skidpan on 26/02/2021 at 17:33

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - bathtub tom

Just had to get a new battery for my 7-year-old poverty spec Yaris. Forty-odd quid Yuasa 063, from my local motor factors with a three year guarantee. I expect to get at least a fiver when I take the old one to the scrap yard.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - skidpan

Just had to get a new battery for my 7-year-old poverty spec Yaris. Forty-odd quid Yuasa 063, from my local motor factors with a three year guarantee. I expect to get at least a fiver when I take the old one to the scrap yard.

Bought a Yuasa 063 for the Caterham a couple of years ago. Caterham fit a small, not very powerful but expensive battery as standard simply because its a few pounds lighter. But many find that it does not have enough grunt to crank a hot engine after a fuel stop, happened to me once and once only, very embarrassing. When it finally died (they only last a couple of years) I fitted an 063 (same as the Micra had-plenty of space) and never had another issue, they normally last about 6 or 7 years on average. Since yours is the 3 years guarantee I guess its the 3000 series, for a few pounds more you can get the 5000 series which has a 5 year guarantee, more amp hours and a higher CCA. Well worth the bit extra IMHO.

I got a fiver when I took my old battery back to the factors.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - bathtub tom
Since yours is the 3 years guarantee I guess its the 3000 series, for a few pounds more you can get the 5000 series which has a 5 year guarantee, more amp hours and a higher CCA. Well worth the bit extra IMHO.

Yes it's the 3000 (had to lift the bonnet to check). I wasn't offered one with a a 5-year guarantee.They did offer one with a 3-year guarantee for around a tenner less.

I got a fiver when I took my old battery back to the factors.

That's going to cheese off edlithgow.

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - edlithgow

My (late 70's? Can't remember exactly) Mk1 Lada had stop-start.

Turned out to be due to the HT lead core breaking down, so on deceleration for, say, a red light the engine would cut out, but restart OK when the lights changed and there was no forward G on the lead.

Sort of missed that when I got around to a fix

No battery issues, but the original spec battery was massively oversized for the UK.. Had there been battery issues it had a starting handle anyway.

If you can get a fiver for a dud Yaris battery clearly I should have scrapped the big lump of Lada battery separately.

Depressed now.

Edited by edlithgow on 01/03/2021 at 07:13

Vauxhall Zafira Tourer 1.6cdti - Stop-Start batteries - Xileno

The earliest implementation of stop-start I can think of was the early 1980s Golf and Polo Formel E.