Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - network_gc

Hi, oil level warning light has been coming on intermittently for the past week (ie, on for a few seconds at at time), I checked the level yesterday and it seems to be virtually dry. I've ordered some oil to click and collect, but now I'm wondering whether I need to leave the car where it is and get someone out to top it up, rather than driving to the shop. I'm seeing lots of advice that when the oil level warning light comes on, you must pull over immediately as to carry on driving could cause irreparable damage to the engine.

Thanks

Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - FP

I think your big mistake was not dealing with the problem when the oil light first came on - a week ago - and only yesterday did you actually check the oil level.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. A cold start with low oil is not doing the engine any favours.

Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - John F

Neither would I. Take a nice healthy walk, cycle, or bus, taxi or cadge a lift with your back pack to collect the oil - and top it up yourself to somewhere between the minimum and maximum mark on the dipstick before you even think about starting the engine.

Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - Andrew-T

Can't add much to what has been said, but I might ask when the oil was last changed. If that's not very long, you are losing oil somehow - leak or burn - or if it's a long time, better change it anyway, rather than just top up till it happens again.

If you've driven lots of miles since the warning-light started, maybe another 4 won't make much difference. Intermittent warnings are less urgent than continuous ones. Is the light on before the engine starts ?

I've only been driving short distances (literally 2 or 3 miles) in fits and starts. I've managed to persuade a friend to give me a lift to the shop so I'll top it up and keep a close eye on it. Thanks for the advice

Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - RT

There is a semi-humourous saying that the low oil pressure light is to tell you then engine is about to go "bang"

Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - bathtub tom

There is a semi-humourous saying that the low oil pressure light is to tell you then engine is about to go "bang"

OP says it's the low oil LEVEL warning light.

I've managed to persuade a friend to give me a lift to the shop so I'll top it up and keep a close eye on it.

If it's well past a year since the oil was changed, get that done. The sort of use you describe is not the best for an engine. It needs more than just preventing the warning light showing.

I've topped it up and the warning lights no longer flashing. The oil was done in September last year so I've either got a bad leak or its burning oil. Off to the garage tomorrow then.

Astra 2009 - Oil level low - can I drive four miles to buy oil - RT

Get into the habit of checking the oil weekly, that way you'll know the oil is low before it becomes an issue.

I've topped it up and the warning lights no longer flashing. The oil was done in September last year so I've either got a bad leak or its burning oil.

... or it was inadequately filled at the change. But some is clearly getting lost somewhere, and if you aren't driving much, there should either be oil drips where you park or blue smoke behind, or both. How many miles on the clock ? Could be valve-stem seals ?

And yes, knowing oil is getting lost, you need to check the dipstick regularly. If it's only become noticeable since the oil change. maybe the filter or drain plug has a leak.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/02/2021 at 14:55