VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - PHD1986

Hi all,

Sorry for starting my HJ career with a question but after some advice. Bought a second hand VW Golf during lockdown and once it was delivered noticed that there was paint over rubber seals and on black plastic in the wheel arch.

We paid a lot for the car and it is nearly new (~4k miles on the clock).

I'm wondering how concerned I should be? I also found glass in the side door pocket.. clearly glass from a window or windscreen. I was told of no issues with the car. Told it was in mint condition.

I've no experience of resprays but I am concerned that the panel sprayed will degrade quicker than the rest. Is this true?

After a bit of advice. I wouldn't have bought the car if I'd have known about it being resprayed given its age and mileage.

Edited by PHD1986 on 20/02/2021 at 08:52

VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - SLO76
This is a common problem today. Almost all new cars are either leased or taken on PCP’s and thus the first keeper will never actually own the vehicle and thus they’re generally not looking after them properly. I’m finding few used cars with complete or appropriate service histories, clocking is common on sub 3yr olds and many have very poor quality paint repairs carried out by backstreet body shops before returning them at the end of contract in order to avoid financial penalties.

I’m amazed at dealers letting people off with this. A good friend recently returned her Ford C-Max at 4yrs and the car had no service record and loads of horrific paintwork and yet they only charged her £300 after she claimed she was skint. They wanted £1300 but even that wouldn’t cover the cost of putting it right, never mind the missing history. You can understand why punters don’t bother looking after their rented cars.

In this case I wouldn’t be too concerned as long as the paint matches the colour but yes it will fade/deteriorate more quickly than the rest of the car. There’s little you can do about it other than learn from it. Don’t buy a car unseen and don’t trust a dealer.
VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - skidpan

I wouldn't have bought the car if I'd have known about it being resprayed given its age and mileage.

If you expect dealers to tell you about every repair a car has had in the past then you are being very naive. Presuming you did not have the opportunity to see the car before buying it you would have had the opportunity to check it over on delivery and then reject it based on the poor repairs. And since most of these sellers have a 14 day return policy surely you would have spotted it during that period if it was so bad.

You are probably out of options now and can only hope the paint repair does not fail. But IMHO if they could not be bothered to mask or clean up properly after there is little chance they prepped the area properly before paint thus I would expect issues at some point.

VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - Andrew-T

Sounds as though that window was smashed in by some scally. Probably an easy repair, but a careless paint job, without checking for all glass fragments. Doesn't mean the car is a bad'un, but as SLO says, the paint match may deteriorate over time.

VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - madf

Cheap nasty paint job.

It almost certainly will deteriorate.. If they could not be bothered to finsh it properly, why do you think they will have prepared it properly before painting?

VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - badbusdriver

I've no experience of resprays but I am concerned that the panel sprayed will degrade quicker than the rest. Is this true?

Yes, it is. As has been said already, best case is that it will simply fade quicker, worst case is that due to the poor standard of work, it may start rusting.

You say you paid a lot of money for the car, which I don't doubt, but I also wonder if the price was the going rate for a Golf of that age/mileage?. If the price was less, well now you know why. If the price was the going rate, then I guess you would be justified in your disappointment.

VW Golf Match Edition - Resprayed panel - sammy1

If you are not happy with the finish complain to the dealer? Presumably you have some warranty, may be in the Manufacturers warranty? you do not say where or when you bought it which would be helpful. You may even be covered by the sale of good act The price you paid is irrelevant if you were not told it had been damaged before you bought it