Mercedes A250e - hybrid - barney100

My car is in for work and they have loaned me an A250e 70 reg. Newbury to Basingstoke on electric power and very comfortable, good handling and performance. If you wanted one it would set you back £36k...out of my league...there are so many features on the displays it would take me a long time to come to grips with them.First car I had was a Viva HB with a speedo, fuel/temp gauge and not much else. Wind the windows down yourself and any other fancy stuff you needed like a clock you bought and stuck it in. Happy days. Cost me £400.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - Xileno

"Wind the windows down yourself..."

And I bet they worked without the ignition on as well!

I'm not sure I would want to go back to an 'old' car. Maybe somewhere between the two extremes, such as a Dacia.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - Avant

Xileno, you and I both have happy memories of the diesel Peugeot 205. SWMBO had two of those - a GRD and then a turbodiesel Sceptre. Thinking back to what you got with the 205, it's quite impressive:

- Extremely comfortable seats and plenty of room for four people

- Excellent performance, ride and handling

- Straightforward heating and ventilation controls

- Ability to fold the rear seats down and have a flat floor

- Brilliant all-round visibility

I'm sure the 208 is an advance on the 205 in many ways - aircon and satnav for example - but not all by any means.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - Xileno

I agree - and of course that diesel engine was World-beating back in the 1980s.

I guess the greatest advances regarding 'old v 'new' is safety.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - and 'old v new' - John F

I guess the greatest advances regarding 'old v 'new' is safety......

.....with the impressive reduction in noise, vibration and harshness even in small cheap cars running a close second. My first car was a rusty old 1958 three speed Ford Anglia 100E which at any speed above (and it wouldn't go much above) 60mph was, er, uncomfortable. But - mechanical misfortunes were much easier to repair. When some teeth stripped off the non-synchromesh first gear, it was not too difficult to uncouple the prop shaft, drop out the gear box, take it to bits, and replace the damaged cogwheel. I feel sorry for those who are 'just about managing' being landed with sometimes a four figure bill when something like that happens.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - and 'old v new' - galileo

I guess the greatest advances regarding 'old v 'new' is safety......

.....with the impressive reduction in noise, vibration and harshness even in small cheap cars running a close second. My first car was a rusty old 1958 three speed Ford Anglia 100E which at any speed above (and it wouldn't go much above) 60mph was, er, uncomfortable. But - mechanical misfortunes were much easier to repair. When some teeth stripped off the non-synchromesh first gear, it was not too difficult to uncouple the prop shaft, drop out the gear box, take it to bits, and replace the damaged cogwheel. I feel sorry for those who are 'just about managing' being landed with sometimes a four figure bill when something like that happens.

I had a 1957 version of the same car, but with the help of a mate whose Dad had a small workshop we fitted a Minor 1000 gearbox, we fitted a new manifold with twin SUs etc (bits for tuning these were readily available in the 1960s) and that would do 80 mph on the level.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - and 'old v new' - barney100

Apparently this car has a 1.3 Renault petrol engine, I cannot find any information on the car charging itself whilst running on petrol, anybody have any info out of interest?

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - and 'old v new' - mcb100

As soon as you step off the accelerator it will be charging the battery. It's nowhere near as efficient as plugging it into the mains to properly charge it, but it still helps.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - and 'old v new' - RT

As soon as you step off the accelerator it will be charging the battery. It's nowhere near as efficient as plugging it into the mains to properly charge it, but it still helps.

Regenerative braking is why pure EVs get better range on the City cycle than they do on the Combined cycle - unlike IC cars which are worse in City/Urban than their Combined rating.

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - and 'old v new' - cws

A 'jointly' developed engine between Renault and MB from their previous partnership. A friend who is an MB head tech isn't overly impressed with them, having now seen several which have failed at the big end bearing....

Mercedes A250e - hybrid - barney100

I agree, a happy medium, I remember cars without heaters.