50 mile round commute - electric - Fishboy
Evening all, I’m in 2nd interview stage for a job located 25 miles away, we’re currently a 1 car family (mondeo 2009 1.8 diesel) and my wife uses this for work a couple of miles away, so I’m looking at the possibility of a 2nd hand electric as we have a car port on the side of our garage. This is very much thinking out of the box as my normal option would be a tidy bangernomics small runabout for her short run to work and I use the mondeo for the longer run
50 mile round commute - electric - badbusdriver

Kind of depends just how 2nd hand, and more importantly, how much, this electric car would cost. An older Renault Zoe could be had cheap enough, but (a), may be tied to a battery lease deal (as I believe many early ones were), and (b) 50 miles could be pushing it, certainly in winter. I do remember a thread a while ago where some guy had bought a 2nd hand Zoe, and with it fully charged, range was showing as something like 47 miles.

50 mile round commute - electric - Big John

How about using the electric car for the local driving/shore commute and the diesel Mondeo for the longer run - I think a 2009 diesel Mondeo will have a DPF which would not suit just a short drive every day,

Edited by Big John on 15/02/2021 at 19:46

How about using the electric car for the local driving/shore commute and the diesel Mondeo for the longer run - I think a 2009 diesel Mondeo will have a DPF which would not suit just a short drive every day,

Sorry, I didn't read the post right, I think that is what was meant John!.

Assuming you have off street parking where you can charge (or plenty of local charging points) and the electric car isn't tied to a battery lease, sounds like a good enough plan to me

50 mile round commute - electric - sammy1

I think your best bet is to start thinking " back in the box" Electric cars are still a fanciful notion for most especially second hand ones

I think your best bet is to start thinking " back in the box" Electric cars are still a fanciful notion for most especially second hand ones

Surely even a high mileage electric car is going to manage a 4 mile commute?

Back to budget though, cheapest electric car on Autotrader is 2011 75k mile Leaf at £3995.

50 mile round commute - electric - alan1302

Why?

50 mile round commute - electric - mcb100
With Nissan Leaf prices now down to £4,000, that’s what I’d be doing. Preset it to be warm whilst it’s plugged in on a cold morning, it’s attractive in the way that only it’s mother could love it, it’ll probably be faultlessly reliable as well as quiet and comfortable to drive.
50 mile round commute - electric - Terry W

The solution to your new commute is another car.

The next question is what car - new, old, banger, electric, petrol, £££ buy, PCP etc.

10 year old EV is clearly an option - but so is a small city car on a PCP deal, or a 12 year old E class etc. No right answer - depends on personal circumstances, money, expectations and aspirations!

50 mile round commute - electric - bathtub tom

A two mile commute, that's cycling territory, or if they can't be bothered how about a second hand mobility scooter?

50 mile round commute - electric - Lee Power

107 / 108 / C1 or Aygo with the 1 litre Toyota engine should fit the bill for a short trip runabout.

50 mile round commute - electric - Xileno

47 miles on a full charge for a Zoe doesn't seem right. There must be something wrong with it (the battery particularly)

Our neighbours opposite had a Zoe, they were very pleased with it but the renewal lease at the end of the three-year period wasn't anything like as attractive as some of the 'sweeteners' had been removed. So they went back to a small petrol car.

Edited by Xileno on 16/02/2021 at 19:09