2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - Gordon the golfer

Hi guys. I bought a Vauxhall Astra last year without any service history. I'm wanting to sell it on asI'ive bought a zafira. (more room to help get my jobs done)

The problem is I will struggle to sell it without service history. Can anyone suggest any way that I can find out which garages its been to?

I could do with it gone ASAP as I live in a street with shared parking so I'm having to leave a car at work.

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - glidermania

Hi guys. I bought a Vauxhall Astra last year without any service history. I'm wanting to sell it on asI'ive bought a zafira. (more room to help get my jobs done)

The problem is I will struggle to sell it without service history. Can anyone suggest any way that I can find out which garages its been to?

I could do with it gone ASAP as I live in a street with shared parking so I'm having to leave a car at work.

You could try and main dealer and see if Vauxhall have a computerised central servicing system. However, Id say Vauxhall are unlikely to be that avante guard regarding service records and especially going back 7 years! The car's probably been serviced outside the dealer network as well.

IMHO, you'll just have to accept a lower price for it.

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - pd

You could try looking at the MOT history and seeing if any of the garages who did the MOT did a service at the same time.

Any lease companies in the V5? Could try them. First owner may be on inside of service book if you have it. Try Vauxhall, not sure if they hold digital records. If the selling dealer's name is on the car (numberplates etc.) try them.

It'll sell as long as you ask a bit less. Someone will buy it without history - you did! :)

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - Gordon the golfer

***UPDATE***

I have managed to try the registering vauxhall garage. i have tracked down most of the services.

june 2013 car was regisered.

June 2014 Vauxhall service

June 2015 Vauxhall service 25521

May 2016 Vauxhall service 29311

June 2017 Vauxhall service 36156

im missing 2018, 19, 20

the same owner has owned it since 2015. sadly i bought the car from an auction without any paperwork. The number plates refer back to the dealer who did the above services. any other suggestions?

this is an excellent suggestion. how can i find out which garages have mot'd the car?

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - Andrew-T

Not so long ago, the V5 would have shown the previous owner and you could ask him/her for help. As you own the car, you may be able to find where the MoT tests have been done online - unless that has also been blocked by Data Protection ?

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - bathtub tom

this is an excellent suggestion. how can i find out which garages have mot'd the car?

You can't, any more. Used to be able to, but I suspect it was all down to privacy. Same with the V5 not listing details of previous owners/keepers.

You bought it without any service history and as you've now found some, I suspect you'll find an even more willing buyer.

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - skidpan

You can't, any more. Used to be able to, but I suspect it was all down to privacy.

You can. Go on the MOT history website, click on View test Location and enter the V5C number.

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - pd

As per post above, yes, you can. Even gives their telephone number I think.

Getting some history is a big step forward. At least it now has "no" history. If you can't find any more maybe give it a quick oil change so you can say it has just been serviced.

You'll be surprised how little most buyers are bothered if it has some sort of history and doesn't need a service 1 day after purchase.

Edited by pd on 12/02/2021 at 18:04

yeah, im going to order the service bits in on monday and get it done by a local garage to get that extra stamp in the book.

surely there must be a vauxhall datebase or any other database with all the service information held?

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - Andrew-T

surely there must be a vauxhall datebase or any other database with all the service information held?

Only for work done in the Vauxhall network IMHO. Jobs done by independents, even good ones, won't be, for the simple reason that they are independent.

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - daveyK_UK
No offence, but I doubt a detailed history will help much with price when it comes to selling a 2013 Vauxhall diesel .

It’s worth £2k tops, what where you hoping to get out of it?

£1200

2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - daveyK_UK
At this price point, I am not sure service history other than on something low mileage and in prestige condition will affect the value considerably.
2013 Vauxhall Astra 1.7 CDTI - Buying / Selling a car without service history. - edlithgow

Wouldn't bother me very much at that end of the market, because I wouldn't necessarily believe it anyway.

Given the OP's difficulties, it sounds like it wouldn't necessarily be all that quick or easy to check, and as a banger buyer you can't afford to stall for long. You either make an offer or you dont.

My current car had extensive service records in Chinese. so not immediately useful, though they did exist.

It'd still apparently not had its brake fluid changed for a decade or so.