Just how ugly can a car get? - badbusdriver

With cars like the Rolls Royce Cullinan and Bentley Bentayga pushing the bounderies of how ugly a car can get, it was with some surprise I came upon a car which makes the above two look like swans.

The Aznom Palladium, heard of it?, no?, hardly surprising being handbuilt in Italy in very small numbers (by that I mean ten of them!) to each owners personal specification.

But goodness me is it ever ugly!. I certainly have a soft spot for some ugly cars (Fiat Multiplayers for example), but there is no excuse for this!,

aznom-palladium_100768893.jpg

aznom-palladium_100768896.jpg

aznom-palladium-breaks-cover-five-days-after-halloween-it-is-five-days-late-151144_1.jpg

Based on a Dodge Ram pickup no less...............

Just how ugly can a car get? - craig-pd130

Good lord. However, it's not THAT much worse than a Bentayga ....

Just how ugly can a car get? - John Boy

At first, I thought it was just that emoji-type grin on the front end, but then I saw the rest! The side view doesn't seem to belong to the rest of the car, so I've got to agree with you.

Edited by John Boy on 10/02/2021 at 21:17

Just how ugly can a car get? - Metropolis.

Looks like the sort of car you get by crowd-sourcing the design stage. "we want a saloon" "we want a 4x4" "we want a raised ride height" "we want it to be premium" and the designer just says "yes".

Dodge Ram could be a good platform, air suspension or coils on the back of those, some of the best riding trucks in the business.

Just how ugly can a car get? - Metropolis.

Also Cullinan, I keep mixing that with another similar sounding word... in my head at least.

Just how ugly can a car get? - NowWheels

I think that the Aznom Palladium is a work of genius.

The car industry is riddled with derivative designs, which try to emulate some aspects of another designs. Most adopt the same spirit, but fail. The result is as cool as market stall Gucci.

Aznom has cunningly sidestepped this crisis, by adopting the inverse approach. Instead of emulation, it has chosen parody, mocking the pretentiousness of the Cullinan aesthetic through absurdist exaggeration.

This Aznom will do for the uber-posh SUV what Spinal Tap did for heavy metal

You are of course entitled to your own opinion, and you may well have a point. However, for a maker of a very expensive* luxury vehicle to deliberately style the car as a parody to mock others is a highly dubious business practice. How many potential buyers are, not only going to 'get it', but approve of the designer's motives enough to hand over a huge sum of money for it?.

As for the Aznom doing anything at all for the uber posh SUV market?, they are only making 10, so highly doubtful.

*I can't find an actual price, possibly due to the highly personalised nature of each version. But I did find that the company made a bespoke version of the Ram 1500 pickup in 2018 which cost $263k, so I'd guess twice that for the Palladium at the very least.

Just how ugly can a car get? - Andrew-T

I don't think it is hideous, just gross. The front is a bit aggressive, but it's certainly not alone in that.

Just how ugly can a car get? - RGCRob

Sorry, the Multipla is top of this list for me. I just can't get my head around how it even got to market. It stings to look at.

Just how ugly can a car get? - NowWheels

Sorry, the Multipla is top of this list for me. I just can't get my head around how it even got to market. It stings to look at.

I love the original Multipla, before it was made bland. It was a fun and clever design.

But it was marmite. A neighbour had one, and my friends either loved it or loathed it.

Just how ugly can a car get? - Engineer Andy

Reminds me of this:

youtu.be/EHGczDHTDpo

The Homer

Just how ugly can a car get? - edlithgow

Would probably depend on how hard and how often you hit it.

My Skywing hit a brand new BMW a few years ago and made it quite a bit uglier.

I do tend to pick ém, but not this time, cos I was 20k away.

Typhoon picked it up and threw it across the carpark.

I blamed a tree.

Just how ugly can a car get? - Sofa Spud

Considering the Aznom Palladium is based on one of these:

www.motortrend.com/cars/ram/1500/2020/

. . . it's not that bad a job! It still looks ugly and is ridiculous in concept - turning a double-cab pickup into a fastback saloon. Also I don't think it's any uglier than the Tesla Cybertruck, although all other Teslas are good-looking.

Just how ugly can a car get? - focussed

My choice for the car that got beaten by the ugly stick is the Nissan Juke (joke?).

Some journo commented that it looks like Darth Vader's helmet that got sat on by an elephant!

My choice for the car that got beaten by the ugly stick is the Nissan Juke (joke?).

Some journo commented that it looks like Darth Vader's helmet that got sat on by an elephant!

I remember reading of the Juke that it "looks like a Suzuki Swift that has gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson"

;-)

Just how ugly can a car get? - Sofa Spud

I remember reading of the Juke that it "looks like a Suzuki Swift that has gone 10 rounds with Mike Tyson"

;-)

I like to imagine that the Nissan Juke was based on a combination of several discarded styling sketches for other Nissan models!

I think I once said of the BMW Z4 that it looked like a Z3 that had been rear-ended another car and then done a slow-speed rollover.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/02/2021 at 16:58