Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - JSalting

Hello, I own a Suzuki S-Cross and I'm having an issue with the boot of the car not opening. This first happened during the recent cold spell we've had. The doors did not open immediately either, so I thought it must be some ice preventing the latch from opening. However, the other doors are now fully operational but the boot still won't open. I have access to the boot from the inside. Does anyome know whether the latch can be opened from the inside and if so how? Also, if this is not a temperature-related issue (as I thought initially), what might be causing the problem? The car has keyless entry. Thanks!

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - elekie&a/c doctor
Firstly, I would pour some warm water around the hatch to body opening , just incase the seal has frozen . If that doesn’t work , there is an emergency lever located at the base of the tailgate , where it meets the rear slam panel . Use a small screwdriver to operate. Instructions in the handbook or m.youtube.com/watch?v=WUXGAH-BSQI

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 10/02/2021 at 20:13

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - JSalting

Excellent, thank you! I'll try that tomorrow morning.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - philonenko

Hello, I'm resurrecting this thread as the problem is more stubborn than I originally thought. Having shown the car to an independent mechanic and to someone at the dealership, they have both been unable to open the boot as it is fully electronic and there is no emergency lever on the inside (although the manual says that there is -- none of us have found one). The independent mechanic proposes to change the switch, however, the dealership mechanic wants to do a diagnostics test first. I'd prefer to have this job done at the independent garage but am worried I could be slapped with an even bigger bill than the cost of the diagnostics if it turns out that the problem was not the switch. How likely is it that the problem is caused by something else and not the switch and what might these other causes be (e.g. a faulty BCM unit?)

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - mcb100
A main dealer can’t do any unauthorised work after the diagnostic if you’ve told them not to. It may be cheaper that throwing parts at it without fully understanding what needs replacing.
For anyone to carry out some kind of diagnostic analysis of the problem, the tailgate needs to be open so that the switch , wiring and electric latch actuator can be tested . It can’t be that difficult to get the tailgate open manually . Has anybody removed the door card to access the mechanism ?

Thank you all for your replies!

mcb100: in theory, that's correct, in practice it's a different matter altogether. I've had the car serviced at a main dealer's and they "discovered" things that then needed "fixing"...

elekie&a/c doctor: do you mean the tailgate trim? I removed that myself and couldn't find the emergency lever. The independent mechanic couldn't either and the dealer confirmed this is a fully electronic tailgate. Or do you mean the tailgate lock? The dealer suggested that maybe something is jammed and offered to have the lock removed to check for that. I'm sure there's no shirt or anything of the sort that's jamming the lock although there was some debris around the tailgate lock area from my wellies which I neglected to clean up. Could it be debris causing the problem? I've heard that debris can cause the switch to malfunction, but could it also cause the lock to jam? Also, if the lock is removed to open the tailgate, how easy is it to put back in place so I can drive the car away and not be held hostage to what they choose to charge?

Andrew-T: unnecessary electronification, totally agree :-(

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - Andrew-T

.... they have both been unable to open the boot as it is fully electronic and there is no emergency lever on the inside (although the manual says that there is -- none of us have found one).

Oh dear - another example of unnecessary electronification ! I do wonder why we must be driven inexorably towards overcomplication. I really don't see the advantage of this one.

Luddites unite !

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - Rerepo

I don't see how the boot latch can be 'fully electronic'. Surely there must be a mechanical lever that is moved by an electrical actuator like a motor or solenoid? When you have removed the trim you can access the mechanical lock and spring it open.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - skidpan

.... they have both been unable to open the boot as it is fully electronic and there is no emergency lever on the inside (although the manual says that there is -- none of us have found one).

Oh dear - another example of unnecessary electronification ! I do wonder why we must be driven inexorably towards overcomplication. I really don't see the advantage of this one.

Luddites unite !

We had one as long ago as 2005 on a pretty basic 1.2 "S" Micra. About 2 weeks in it stopped working with a boot full of shopping, bad batch apparently, water could get in. Easy to sort, even the wife managed it, lower the rear seats and there was a slot to release the hatch. Switch replaced same afternoon (they had them in stock) whilst the wife waited about 30 minutes.

Had that car another Micra with the same boot release for the next 10 years and no more issues.

Pretty sure every car we have owned since then has had an electronic button and not a mechanical release.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - Andrew-T

<< Pretty sure every car we have owned since then has had an electronic button and not a mechanical release. >>

Well, yes, cars with central locking will need actuators on every aperture. But as you and the OP have found, it has to be over-ridable in case of emergency, and it seems his can't.

Suzuki SX4 S-Cross - Suzuki boot won't open - skidpan

Just found an on-line manual for the SX4 S-Cross and there is an emergency release. Like the Micra you have to gain access to the boot from inside the car but unlike the Micra its not just a simple matter of poking something in a slot. You have to remove a trim panel (probably not easy in a dark, cramped boot) like you would to replace the revering bulb which will reveal the lever, simply push to open the tailgate.

So it is doable but so obscure and difficult not even the dealer was aware.

The the OP should have a manual, its on page 29 of the on-line one.

Nissan 1 Suzuki 0

Hi skidpan,

There's an S-Cross manual available online which i have consulted. It shows a method of opening the tailgate internally with the help of a flat screwdriver. The manual that came with the car shows a different method of opening the tailgate by means of an emergency lever located behind the trim. I removed the trim and identified the lever as per the graphic in the manual and tried to slide it. The damned thing wouldn't budge! I turned it left, right, up, down but no luck! I also showed the manual instructions to the mechanic and he couldn't get the lever to move either. Is the lever stuck or is the dealer right that the tailgate is fully electronic?

I'm familar with the Micra tailgate issue as I came across a website explaining the issue and identifying the switch as the culprit. But there's no known issue with the Suzuki switch, so it's gamble if I go with the switch change, isn't it?

I realise now that my reply to elekie&a/c doctor above was a bit confusing. When I said that I couldn't find the emergency lever I meant I couldn't find a lever that would open the boot. There was something that looked like the lever in the manual graphic but it didn't do anything. Sorry if this has caused some confusion to people trying to help me. :-(

All latches are mechanical, it’s the method of how they are activated that’s relevant. Could be by key , cable or push button . If it doesn’t release on the emergency lever , perhaps the latch is jammed . That’s why it won’t work on the push button . You may need to wreck it to release the latch .

I see. So the logical first step is to "wreck" the latch to see if it is jammed. Can this be put back relatively easily and inexpensively? Also, in your view, what is the logical second step, diagnostics or switch replacement?

Edited by philonenko on 07/03/2021 at 19:02

I would say that the priority here is to get the tailgate open . Can't see how you can fix it unless there is access to the wiring connector at the latch. It may be possible to test the circuit in the tailgate if the connector can be released. Wrecking the latch will probably damage it beyond repair. Diagnostics will only show if the tailgate is open ,which it isn't, and operation of the push switch. Don't think that's going to be very helpful.

Thanks elekie&a/c doctor. I think I'll have a word with the mechanic tomorrow and see how he proposes to resolve this issue.