Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - Cbelle

Our Xtrail currently sits at the dealers with a seized engine diagnosis.

Vehicle has covered 47000 miles and has been serviced on time, only last year it didn’t see the main dealer because of Covid, warranty expired last may sadly.

They have quoted us £4500 to replace it, that’s with a 50% contribution to the engine.

Seems a lot but it is a brand new engine.

Just wondered if this is something we just have to suck up and move on or can we take it any further for the failure at such low mileage.
It wasn’t run low on oil or abused, just started knocking one morning after a cold start and then stopped.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - catsdad
What is the service history? You say you didn't take it to the main dealer last year due to Covid. If it's a May 2017 car this suggests it's not been serviced since May 2019? Or did you go elsewhere for a service?

Either way it seems quite generous of Nissan to be contributing.
Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - Xileno

I would want to know why it had seized as this can't be a common failure given it's a Nissan. Maybe just bad luck of course. I think I would explore the option of a decent secondhand engine from a reputable source.

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - SLO76

I would want to know why it had seized as this can't be a common failure given it's a Nissan. Maybe just bad luck of course. I think I would explore the option of a decent secondhand engine from a reputable source.

You’re kidding? Nissan’s today are nothing more than rebadged Renaults and they’re notorious for engine failures.
Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - focussed

I seem to remember that this particular engine had a problem with the main bearing shell bearings picking up on the crank and turning in the block, locking up the engine.

Knock Knock - engine seizes - sounds like it could be what's happened.

Or even in some cases the shells being insufficiently restrained by the bearing tabs, turning ,and causing the seizure.

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - badbusdriver

I would want to know why it had seized as this can't be a common failure given it's a Nissan.

Under the skin it is actually a Renault.

But I would also look into getting a second hand or refurb engine. Still going to be a big bill to fit it mind.

Is it a 1.6 or 2.0?

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - sammy1

Sorry to hear of your problem. Have you tried talking direct to Nissan? Petrol or diesel? In any case as you say you do get a brand new engine. Has the garage said why they think it failed. If as you say the oil and water was OK then why did it fail, top end or bottom?

The cheaper option is a second hand engine, but you would need to find one and get someone to fit it. I would not recommend this as there are too many rogue dealers in the S/H engine market. Maybe your engine can be repaired? A lot of dealers will not bother.

Your best bet is to try and negotiate a better price.

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - SLO76
Does it have a full Nissan main dealer service history? If so then Involve Nissan customer service and say that you’re outraged at having to fork out so much money on a 4yr old car with a full dealer service history. A good friend of mine had a new engine fitted for free to her 66 plate 50,000 mile Juke 1.2T last year without any trouble. Her dealer made a goodwill claim and Nissan funded the replacement in full as they should.

If you’ve missed services or had it done by a non-franchise backstreet garage then I’m afraid the current offer is as good as it’ll get. Either way, it’s a reminder that Nissans are not reliable cars these days. They’re nothing more than rebadged Renaults and suffer all the woe they do as they age. They must spend a fortune on engine claims as I know several people who’ve had new engines fitted over the years. I wouldn’t touch one with a barge pole.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/02/2021 at 16:27

Thanks for all the input.

Sadly due to COVID I had the car serviced locally last March, so it did miss it’s dealer service before the warranty ran out in may, but it had its previous services at Nissan.

Trying to do the right thing has probably bitten me on the a*** this time.

Car fluids were fine, I’m waiting to speak to someone to see what the failure was but it’s proving hard work already.

Tough pill to swallow on a car worth probably £11000 and we were going to sell this year anyway.

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - barney100

Had experience of second engines and it was a disaster, seems you have been very unlucky. Maybe get the engine fitted with as much warranty as you can get on it and run it 'til the warranties nearly up and move it on. Getting it repaired would be worth looking into with the same idea as above, that would be my first step.

Just bad luck, I almost extended the warranty last year but just forgot about it.

Your right about Nissan quality though, never again for me sadly.

will probably end up going to wbac and lose a lot, we will probably lease something next.

the missus fancies a merc a class but the 1.3 petrol has a Nissan engine!

Nissan X-Trail 2017 - Engine failure - RT

Just bad luck, I almost extended the warranty last year but just forgot about it.

Your right about Nissan quality though, never again for me sadly.

will probably end up going to wbac and lose a lot, we will probably lease something next.

the missus fancies a merc a class but the 1.3 petrol has a Nissan engine!

I bought a Hyundai Santa Fe new in 2011 which needed significant engine work under warranty due to head gasket failure - I lost faith in it and sold it just before the warranty ran out but I've tracked it's MoT history online since then and it has gone on to do mega miles seemingly without any issues.

While contributors have said that engine isn't the best, there's no reason to get rid as soon as you've got the new engine fitted, get a year or two's use out of it first.