Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - 12lozzy .

Hi all I just bought this car last wednesday and had it in for an MOT and service the day after .It majorly failed its MOT and the garage has quoted me £1280 just for the repairs , the mechanic said something along the lines of for the dust cover failures for his type of car he can only get the parts from renualt and has to go into the subframe to access it and also for the door handle he will have to strip it down to find the problem ( which is obvious ) however again said he can only get the parts from renault and hence why the quote is so high . The parts he needed actually cost more than the labour. The headlights i know is something electrical and again he said it will need a new comms unit to fix ( something else very expensive ) but he also said all of this without really looking for the problems he said he ' just had a quick gander' . Now i know nothing about cars and only bought the thing for £550 but before i send it for scrap i want to know is what the garage is quoting me expensive for the repairs needed ?

MOT failures

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
  • Nearside Rear Tyre has a tear, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
Repair immediately (major defects):
  • Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (3.5 (a))
  • Front passenger door cannot be opened from outside the vehicle (6.2.3 (a))
  • Front Position lamp adversely affected by the operation of another lamp lights flash on and off (4.2.3 (c))
  • Nearside Rear Direction indicator incorrect colour (4.4.3 (a))
  • Rear fog lamp not working (4.5.1 (a) (ii))
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
  • Offside Front Suspension arm ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
  • Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (5.3.4 (b) (ii))
  • Nearside Rear Service brake grabbing severely (1.2.1 (c))
Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
  • Nearside Front Suspension arm ball joint has slight play (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Front Play in steering rack inner joint(s) ()
  • Nearside Front Tyre worn close to legal limit/worn on edge (5.2.3 (e))
  • Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing (5.2.3 (d) (ii))
  • Nearside Non obligatory mirror damaged wing mirror ()
  • different size tyres front and rear
Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - RT

If you bought the car from a trader, reject it and get your money back

Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - 12lozzy .

Unfortunately i bought it privately naively taking the sellers words that the problems i noticed with it could be easily fixed

Edited by 12lozzy . on 07/02/2021 at 17:24

Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - elekie&a/c doctor
Looking at the mot fail and advisories, it would seem the car has been totally neglected. Nearly £1300 to get it through the test is out of order for faults that are fairly easy fixes . If you’re doing the repairs yourself, it would be a project ,if not , I would move it on and buy something in better condition.
Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - Andrew-T

Unfortunately i bought it privately naively taking the sellers words that the problems i noticed with it could be easily fixed

Moral (as has been said before) - NEVER buy a used car without a current MoT pass. ESPECIALLY one past middle age.

Having said that, some parts may be found on E-bay. Just recently my 2008 car needed a door lock replaced: new, probably about £150+, used £25-30. Some savings can be made, but most of the cost will be labour unless you can DiY. Unless this car has serious redeeming features, perhaps get rid and try another.

Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - edlithgow

Those are all fairly trivial failures. Given that, on your own admission, you know nothing about cars, and yet bought one with no MOT (?!?) and paid more than scrap value for it (?!?), I'd say you got lucky.

However, they'll be fiddly and irritating to fix. I can't comment on the parts prices since I havn't run a Renault in the UK for about 20 years, but you can research those yourself. Try motor factors rather than dealers first.

When I was doing this I used The Yellow Pages but there is that Internyet thing now.

Depending on how bad they are, you can sometimes temporarily patch cracked dust covers with superglue.

You can also tape them, wrap them in bike inner tube and/or use Clingfilm as first aid (which is what I do here in Taiwan), but that wont get you through a UK MOT test.

At this end of the market, if you know nothing about cars, you either don't buy one, or you learn something, sharpish.

Edited by edlithgow on 08/02/2021 at 04:31

Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - Lee Power

Replacement ball joint rubber dust covers are available if you know where to look - but you still have to take the joint apart to fit them & obviously the joint still needs to be in good condition else its a pointless exercise replacing the cover.

A car with this many faults & advisories shows it hasn't been cared for.

Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - John F

Everything is easy.....when you know how. How many miles has this tired old hack done?

I sometimes wonder whether wrapping black duct tape around the suspension joint 'failure' to keep out the dust that day would oblige the MoT tester to pass it? Can't see why not.

Edited by John F on 08/02/2021 at 17:53

Everything is easy.....when you know how. How many miles has this tired old hack done?

I sometimes wonder whether wrapping black duct tape around the suspension joint 'failure' to keep out the dust that day would oblige the MoT tester to pass it? Can't see why not.

Like I say above, I do variants on that here in Taiwan, where the inspection doesn't check that kind of thing. I've found Clingfilm particularly effective as first aid for a failed CV boot. It was on for several months, though I've replaced the boot now.

Logically (Logic of course has no relationship with regulation enforcement) this is no different to replacement, IF you don't clean out the contaminated grease when you replace. I'd be less than confident that a commercial repair would even attempt this on a CV joint. I attempt it, but its difficult, and I'm unsure whether I should be using solvent, though so far I havn't.)

I'd bet they'd fail it, but it might be worth a try.

Renault Clio 2008 TomTom 16v 1.2 - MOT Major Failure - skidpan

Cling film and tape to get a car through the MOT, great ideas.

Cling film and tape to get a car through the MOT, great ideas.

Would be if they worked, but, as I said, I think that's unlikely.

However, even in The Famously Anal Yook, they could still work as first aid, pending a repair to MOT standards. There are lots of circumstances that can prevent one from doing a full repair immediately.

Here I'm of course in an MOT Free Zone, which is nice, but I had to wait to get a CV boot kit from the UK, and the Clingfilm apparently prevented, or at least limited, dirt ingress until I could fit it.

I screwed it up the first time (I have excuses but its a long Sod''s Law Stylee Story, though I'd probably find it a funny one if it had happened to someone else) and had to wait for another kit, so the Clingfilm was on for several months.

I was quite surprised it held up so well.

While we're on the automotive (mis?) application of Clingfilm, I recently did a sort of breakout box for my radiator fan relay, so I could bypass the wiring loom lead from the temperature switch, which seemed to be iffy.

Awkward shape for shrink fit tubing, and I'm none too confident of my crimped connections so I'll probably have to take it apart again sometime. I dunno how much protection a Clingfilm wrap gives it, but it seemed better than leaving it open.

Edited by edlithgow on 09/02/2021 at 15:49