Any - Buying a car from deceased estate - mondeoman2013

Hi ,

I've seen a car advertised locally which I am interested in. It is listed at an attractive price.

The seller is upfront that he is selling a deceased person's car.

Have you learned gentlemen any experience of this or advice ?

I did a quick google and it seems that probate isn't required for a car the way it is for a house as it is classed as a chattel.

I've found advise on how to proceed as a seller of a deceased relative's car but nothing from the buyer's perspective.

If I get the v5c/2 and the car is free of finance , have i any other concerns ?

The car is advertised for £18k.

Thanks

Any - Buying a car from deceased estate - SLO76
My advice?

If it were £1800 at risk I’d be wary but at £18,000 leave well alone. Only buy in a private sale if the V5 is registered to the seller at the sellers address. If it’s not then the car may not legally be theirs to sell or more likely it’s a dealer trying to flog a car without honouring their post sale legal obligations or pay any tax.

No V5 in their name at the address you view then no buying dis.

The only time I’ve bought a car in similar circumstances was if it was someone I knew well. I did buy a nearly new Honda Accord from a deceased mans estate but the relative who was selling it had registered it in his name first so the V5 was present and correct. This is what I’d want here. If it is their car to sell then tell them to register it to themselves at their own address then when you view and do an HPI check (using the vin no too) you’ll have the backing of HPI’s insurance. It won’t apply if you buy and the car isn’t registered to the seller.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/02/2021 at 23:07