oil filter tools. costs. etc. - henry k
There have been various recent recommendations re tools for removing oil filters.
This is a list of what my nearest Halfords have in stock plus their prices, rounded up, as a target.

£4 Simple chain wrench
£6 Chain wrench for use with a socket & drive
£9 Oil filter pliers

Professional tools range
£13 Steel band for use with a socket & drive
£15 Steel band with tightening screw within the handle
£17 Spider for use with a socket & drive

In case your car requires it
£3.50 Drain plug hex key - many sizes in stock for use with
a socket & drive

They did not appear to stock
The fabric band type for use with a socket & drive.

Happy unscrewing to you all.
oil filter tools. costs. etc. - blank
£9 Oil filter pliers

Are these the slip joint/water pump pliers as recommended by Dr Dave and others in an earlier thread?

Thanks
Andy
oil filter tools. costs. etc. - henry k
>> £9 Oil filter pliers
Are these the slip joint/water pump pliers as recommended by Dr Dave and others in an earlier thread?

No. They are specificly designed for oil filters.
They have jaws with a large circular throat the shape an oil filter. They have NO adjustment unlike the pump pliers.
Just squeeze the handles and hang on while you attempt to unscrew the filter.

I would expect pump pliers big enough for an oil filter to be a bit pricy due to low demand / low volume production etc.
oil filter tools. costs. etc. - sean
At the risk of hypocrisy (I wrote that someone was "bodging" the other day when he was going on about coolant leak stopper), why would you not use a screwdriver through the cartridge?

Just tap the cartridge lightly to see if it will unscrew using a long screwdriver and hammer, and if it won't, hammer the screwdriver right through the canister and you then have leverage to undo it.

oil filter tools. costs. etc. - Hugo {P}
Just tap the cartridge lightly to see if it will unscrew
using a long screwdriver and hammer, and if it won't, hammer
the screwdriver right through the canister and you then have leverage
to undo it.

Just double check you've got the right replacement canister before you do that. It may be a long walk otherwise - this happened to a friend of mine!

H
oil filter tools. costs. etc. - owen
I've used the screwdriver method many times in the past with no problems - apart from the mess!
oil filter tools. costs. etc. - blank
Thanks
Bought the pliers this weekend. They look like they will make the next oil change a whole lot easier!

Andy
oil filter tools. costs. etc. - Clanger
My 20 year old fabric oil filter strap is still strong enough to make my motor-bike wobble on its stand while tring to undo the oil filter. Then the filter caved in. I had to take a small cold chisel and a 4lb lump hammer to shift it.

For me, the amateur, fabric rules!
H.