any - New car - paul 1963

Gents, I'm currently compiling a short list of cars to replace my Mokka, currently on the list are the new Corsa, in Sri spec and a Suzuki Ignis in sz5 spec with 4 wheel drive, whatever I choose will be new rather than used.

Anyone got either car? be interested in your impressions please, there's no rush as I'm not looking to replace the mokka until September.

any - New car - Alby Back
Interestingly diverse short list Paul.

A Corsa SRi sounds like it'd be more fun to drive than an Ignis. You'd think anyway. But, a 4x4 Ignis would be way better if you need to negotiate rough tracks sometimes.

My father in law has a 2WD Ignis. He loves it, but it doesn't go far. I've driven it, and I rather liked it too, but I'd not want to drive to the south of France in it. Not that anyone can do that for now anyway !

Out of curiousity, how did you get down to those two? Not that either would be a bad choice or anything, just that they seem quite a bit different to each other and indeed your current car.

Anyway, here's my unhelpful comment. The Corsa would probably be more fun, but the Ignis is cooler!

Edited by Alby Back on 27/01/2021 at 14:25

any - New car - paul 1963

To be honest I looked at the new Corsa when my mokka went in for a service and just liked the shape, the Ignis got on the list because I had a swift 4x4 before the current car and loved the feeling of security it gave and again the quirky shape of the Ignis appeals to me, did briefly think about a crossland but the interior is woefull.

Mokkas been fantastic, comfortable, totally reliable etc but just fancy something a little smaller next time.

Edited by paul 1963 on 27/01/2021 at 15:10

Well, if the Mokka isn't giving you any grief, and indeed you like it anyway, it's probably best to wait until it's more possible to get proper test drives in your next potential cars I suppose.

A lady I work with has just ( well, last year ) gone the other way funnily enough. She had a Corsa but has replaced it with a Mokka. However, she has a Labrador that is only slightly smaller than a well fed Shetland Pony, and a husband of similar dimensions to move about, so the Corsa wasn't really cutting it !

Good hunting !

Edited by Alby Back on 27/01/2021 at 15:25

any - New car - badbusdriver

We have an Ignis SZ5 (not 4wd), apart from the AGS* (single clutch automated manual) we absolutely love it.

*The AGS is not as bad as I thought it might be given some of the comments I'd read about them, but it is an acquired taste and definitely works better if you work with it rather than driving it like a 'normal' auto. However, I'm assuming you plan to buy a manual as you haven't mentioned otherwise, but even if you did go auto, the current model (facelifted around the middle of last year I think) uses a CVT which would be a much better thing to drive.

Edited by badbusdriver on 27/01/2021 at 16:28

Just to give some further comment on our Ignis. The performance is absolutely fine, doesn't have a huge amount of power but it is very light, so its pretty sprightly. I haven't had the opportunity (with Covid) to do a longer run with it, but contrary to Alby's feelings, I'd have no qualms undertaking a long journey in it. Seats are comfy, driving position is good, refinement is acceptable for a car of this type, decent sized boot (even with the rear seats slid right back). The versions with two separate sliding rear seats (all but the base model) have a fantastic amount of space, you really could get two six footers in the back with no problem.

any - New car - SLO76
When buying new there’s no real risk. Take a decent test drive, pick the one you like most then hammer out a deal. I wouldn’t pay the price for either of these new, instead I’d let someone else take the hit and I’d buy used. The Suzuki would drive exactly the same at 3yrs old and it would be substantially cheaper. I’d also bin the 4wd, it just adds weight, complexity and reduces fuel economy. If a 2wd Corsa would manage then a 2wd Ignis will too.

Edited by SLO76 on 27/01/2021 at 23:12

When buying new there’s no real risk. Take a decent test drive, pick the one you like most then hammer out a deal. I wouldn’t pay the price for either of these new, instead I’d let someone else take the hit and I’d buy used. The Suzuki would drive exactly the same at 3yrs old and it would be substantially cheaper. I’d also bin the 4wd, it just adds weight, complexity and reduces fuel economy. If a 2wd Corsa would manage then a 2wd Ignis will too.

TBH, I'd also not bother with the 4wd. As SLO says, if you don't need a 4wd Corsa, you don't need a 4wd Ignis!.

For the record, yes the 4wd is heavier, 45kg over the 2wd manual but only 15kg over the auto. Similarly the quoted economy for the 4wd version is just under 4mpg (combined) lower than the 2wd but about 0.5mpg higher than the auto. I also notice the current Ignis is down on power compared to ours, from 90 to 83bhp (not sure why) along with the increase in weight over the pre-facelift model (due to the current model being mild hybrid) means it won't feel as sprightly.

Personally though, without having driven the Corsa, I'd take the Ignis.

Sometimes I'd quite like a smaller car, but more or less every week, I end up needing the loadspace of my large estate. Whether it's bikey things, tip runs, shifting kids and their stuff, my wife's artworks, my work stuff or whatever, I can't see how I could get away with a smaller car. But people do of course. I fear they must be far more organised than I could ever hope to be. ;-)
any - New car - RT
Sometimes I'd quite like a smaller car, but more or less every week, I end up needing the loadspace of my large estate. Whether it's bikey things, tip runs, shifting kids and their stuff, my wife's artworks, my work stuff or whatever, I can't see how I could get away with a smaller car. But people do of course. I fear they must be far more organised than I could ever hope to be. ;-)

You could do all that a small car and trailer.

Yes, but then I'd have to find somewhere to store the trailer, and also, when I need to take a load of work kit into a city centre I'd have to find somewhere to park it, and I'd be restricted to towing speeds, and I'd have to get a towbar, and...nah...

;-)
any - New car - Senexdriver

Not wishing to derail the thread, but I have been surprised to find that some SUVs are almost as big as their apparently bigger estate car cousins. A couple of years ago I was in the market for a new Volvo V60 and while hanging around in the showroom for the salesman to finish whatever he was doing I had a good look over an XC40. It’s shorter than a V60 but runs it a close second for interior space. More recently I also wanted to downsize from a large estate car (incredibly useful workhorses) and came to the view that a mid-size SUV would meet the smaller car requirement without any drastic loss of load-carrying space. I find myself carrying the same sort of loads as you, except a spouse’s artwork.