How to look after a soft top hood? - Blue {P}
Related to my thread about the Z4, we've never had a convertible before. How do we look after the soft top?

Is normal washing using a bucket and sponge OK to use on the soft top as well? And how about drying? Is a normal chamois leather OK, or should we not bother drying?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Blue
How to look after a soft top hood? - teabelly
The owner's manual should give you a good clue ;-)

Hood care depends on what the hood is made of. But I would find out what the manufacturers recommendations are. Does it have a plastic rear screen or glass? The plastic ones you have to be careful with especially as some of the plastic screen cleaners are too abrasive. Renovo's webswite www.renovouk.com/ should have some helpful hints.

teabelly
How to look after a soft top hood? - chris2
remove bird droppings asap !
I've checked the owners manual cover to cover looking for the cleaning section, it doesn't appear to have one!

I'll look again today of course, but I'm pretty sure there's nothing in it.

Blue
How to look after a soft top hood? - daveyjp
Just use sponge and water. In normal conditions it shouldn't get very dirty. As for the cabrio window you'll need some cleaner if its plastic. BMW garages should sell it - smart do some for about £5 a bottle.
How to look after a soft top hood? - paul swindon
Best thing to do to prevent getting it wet or messy is surely to take it off and bring it indoors when it looks like rain, or if there are birds about, or when going for a long drive. That way it will always look as good as new.
Yeah, that would work well, but it ain't very practical! :-)

The car is garaged but it's still gonna get dirty...

Blue
How to look after a soft top hood? - J.B.
BMWs should have a separate booklet in the manual pack entitled "Looking after your car" p10 is dedicated to the soft top. Too much to repeat here, but basically dont put it away (IE fold it) wet,clean up bird droppings pronto,never use stain removers or solvents, and spend lots of money on BMW soft top cleaner and BMW impregnating spray (Making sure your girlfriend/wife stands well clear when you use the latter:) )