Emissions, and stuff - sean
If you've been reading recent posts, you might know that I've just taken the Golf TDi for it's MoT.

It passed, but not quite just like that.

The emissions were OTT.

The advice was "change the air filter, put some Miller's Dieselclean Plus in the fuel, change the fuel filter and run it for 600 miles.

No, I need an MoT certificate today, mate.

Right then, off to the M62. We're talking 5000rpm in 2nd gear and 75mph. Goodness me!. The old girl fairly picks up her skirts and goes. I have never run this engine to 5000 rpm before.

James Bond. People behind were putting their headlights on, with all the smoke. Never seen anything like it before in my life. After 3 miles in 2nd gear, there's no smoke.
Back to Testing Station and clear pass. Absolutely clean.
Italian burn-up, or something but minimal emissions and cert in my hand.

Environment? Air filter? Fuel filter? Millers? Point of it all?

I'm asking. Please answer.
Emissions, and stuff - T Lucas
I thought these new diesel engines were so clean,the emissions coming out of the exhaust was cleaner than the air going in.Filthy coal burners.
Emissions, and stuff - Nortones2
Just because you can see it doesn't mean its harmful. Just because you can't see benzene etc from a petrol engine doesn't mean its not a carcinogenic toxic gas.
You have quoted precisely what I wrote about my daughter's Seat Arosa. Yes, credit to you, another bright writer.

That is correct, by the way. The emissions are lower in CO2, Nox, .... (all sorts of nasties).

I don't know where these things are measured. I do really, and it's all a bit false. Urban, extra-urban mpgs? Do you think the car even goes on the road? NO. It's done in the lab, on a rolling road. They measure the CO2 then extrapolate the mpg.

All I can say to you is that the MoT tester reported an absolutely clear pass on my Golf's emissions, when tested.

I'm not at all comfortable, as I really did pollute the place (and then some) to achieve this, but the advice may help you.
Emissions, and stuff - mlj
what you did is exactly what a lot of diesel drivers have been doing for years to pass this ridiculous part of the MOT.
Most of what you saw was soot from inside the exhaust system. In future, find a quiet road, get the engine at normal temp and run it up to the red line a few times. 2nd gear used to do the job in my old Golf TDI. Interestingly perhaps, The VW garage I used ( I found a really good one!) never failed the car for smoke, but two local garages did. Don't feel bad, diesel exhaust is visible compared to petrol, this does not make it more polluting.
Thank you.

People, not as privileged as we are, will pay fortunes to get their cars passed.

"It's the rotary diesel pump, Sir, we can change it for £400" and such.

This must be what Honest John is all about. Try ringing VAG (VW-Audi Group at Milton Keynes.) Don't want to know. Ask your dealer, Sir. Then ring your dealer. Bring it in, Sir. Only £112 per hour, plus parts, oh yes. This is true, by the way.

The whole world is going mad.

Why isn't your info published loud and clear, so everyone would know?