Box Oil - Amin_{p}
Could someone please explain to me if there is any damage which can be caused by overfilling your gear box oil? is the box not sealed all round? and can the oil escape to some where else? (car=AX)
Box Oil - John S
Amin

The box certainly has oil seals to prevent leakage, but it will have a vent at the top to prevent pressurisation when the 'box heats up in use. This vent is designed to allow air to flow in and out, not oil.

Overfilling is usually difficult as most designs have a combined filler and level plug, but if the car isn't level then it could possibly be slightly overfilled. A small excess amount won't cause problems, but a very high oil level will probably end up being forced out the vent. It may also give gear selection problems when the box is cold.

I must ask - what prompted the question?

Regards

John S

Box Oil - Amin_{p}
John

thanks for the help. Some while ago, (i would say about two to three months) i changed my drive shaft and at the time just recycled back the gearbox oil that was already there, as the oil seemed clean and otherwise new. however as you can undrestand, some oil was wasted (i would guess less than half a pint), and i had it in mind that the next time i serviced the car i top it up. this weekend i did the normal 6k ritual and replaced oild filteres, changed engine oil, and also bought a litre of box oil. however the bix does not have a gage and also since i did not know how much was already in there, i couldnt calculate how much i should add (assuming of course i knew the total capacity), so i just poured the litre in the box and it went it, with no obvious signs of over filling (i mean oild pouring back out etc...) however, after this topping up i noticed that gear change had become a little "harder" and i wondered whether some further damage could be caused by overfiling the box (its far fetched, but i thought it might leak to the clutch) or is it just a matter of shifting becomming harder. thanks cheers
Box Oil - John S
Amin

A litre is a large proportion of the gearbox contents of an AX. Did you locate the level plug on the 'box? It's usually about halfway up the side or end of the gearbox. Provided you had this open, and as I say you normally fill the box through this, you should be OK. However, if you filled the box via the top for some reason and didn't remove the level plug it could be overfilled. You need to be sure what you've done here. if it's grossly overfilled, yes, the front seal could leak oil to the clutch.

Regards

john S
Box Oil - Amin_{p}
John, no, i filled it from a little tube right on top of the box next to the reverse gear sensor which is also on top of the box. i take it this the ventilation tupe you were talking about and not where i should have filled the box from. If I locate the level plug and remove it, will the excess oil automatically discharge from the box? or some sort of trick is involved?

Regards
Amin
Box Oil - John S
Amin

Yes, I reckon it's overfilled. You're right. The best way to get it correct is to locate and remove the level plug, which will drain off the excess and leave the level correct. I'd do it sooner rather than later to be sure the seals don't let oil into the clutch.

Regards

John S