MoT Question - Not Technical ! - Pugugly {P}
As part of Holiday chores took the XT250 we have for an MoT to a local bike dealer. It passed and cost me £14.00 for the privlage.
A couple of issues about the new MoT system.

1. They gave me one of those blue labels as a reminder telling me I should stick it on the bike somewhere. Says on the label not to stick it on paintwork. So where dear Minister of Transport
does one put it on a bike ?

2. The Tester told me that this was the last paper ticket I'd get
as the whole system is being computerized - How will I know when I buy a banger that its got a 12 month MoT on it.

3. The XT's old ticket ran out on 29.5 and I phoned to pre-book a test yesterday in case I got pulled by the Rozzers. If they come up behind me in the future or I run through a ANPR system I will get pulled if they do a PNC check on the bike and find my MoTs run out - and being a cynical type of guy - am I more likely to get booked than I would have been today if I had been stopped on spec and explained the situation before the Officer got tot he "I kmust book him" state of mind ?
MoT Question - Not Technical ! - teabelly
1) on the number plate
on the inside of your visor so you will never forget
on the tax disc holder

:-)

2) Yikes. If the computerised system is anything like as bad as most government computerised systems then a lot of people are going to be done for having no MOT. If you don't have a papery thing as proof how do you get a tax disc?

When did they start dishing out blue labels? I got my car mot'd at the start of the month and didn't get one :-(

One thing that has always intrigued me. If you have the old style silver on black number plate can the ANPRs still read them?
teabelly
MoT Question - Not Technical ! - RichardW
Try a google search for MOT Computerisation - I found several sites a few weeks ago.

The highlights: MOT computerisation due to be rolled out in first 6 months of next year; every testing station will have a terminal; records held centrally; tester will be able to see if it has been tested recently and what it failed on, and I think what advisory have been given in the past; tester will get information as to what emissions standards apply, what weights to use for brake tester, what equipment should be fitted; computer record will include recorded mileage; a 'receipt' will be issued to say car has passed test; I think you will be able to request an MOT history, so when buying you will be able to see anything suspet with the mileage, and what it has failed on in the past.

Do not know if we will start to get reminders, or if it will be linked to PNC so you can get a tug for not having an MOT.

Sounds like a panacea. In reality I expect the usual government + computer system = lots of money and a total farce!

RichardW

MoT Question - Not Technical ! - Victorbox
This website www.silicon.com/news/500022/1/4352.html indicates that once ever car has had a computerised MOT during 2004 all MOT (and tax) dodgers will be picked up on roadside cameras and prosecuted.