E Type Jaguar - historically stolen car - Timothy Manners

Anyone know where I stand with this car? I bought it a year ago at auction and have a V5 which shows the correct chassis number - I know this as the manufacturer records from 1969 confirm matching body and engine. But the chassis marks on the car are all altered by one digit - overstamped or re-engraved. In addition I have an unconfirmed story of a police investigation in 2018 of 2 cars with the same reg plate which resulted in the allocation of the correct chassis number to my car, but retention of the number plate, which the other vehicle had to change. The owners of both were permitted to carry on driving them. My car had 20 years of continuous ownership prior to sale to me. It seems likely that my car was stolen at some stage, definitely before 2001, maybe many years ago, maybe in the US where it spent 20+ years. DVLA will not release any details of their investigation which allowed the number change. I cannot get any sense out of the very elderly previous owner. Id like to know whether I should report it again to get some documentation as to title, and if so who do I report it to? And what does it do to the value of a resale?

Thanks

E Type Jaguar - historically stolen car - 72 dudes

Very unlucky.

I doubt that anyone on here will have sufficient legal knowledge to advise you.

You'll probably need the services of a lawyer to sort this conundrum out. Shame the DVLA refuse to let you have sight of the investigation, it's your car now.

E Type Jaguar - historically stolen car - Palcouk

What is it or what happened to give rise to your belief that all might not be right with this vehicle, the V5 been updated with your name? at the DVLA