Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - ifekas

With a couple of threads of ‘time for change’, I’m sort of in the same boat. I have a 2010 KIA Ceed autometic diesel estate which I have had for seven years, and has been the best car I have ever had; and it has exceeded my expectations in many respects. However, over the last year I had to spend about 200 pounds on a new a/c condenser, and a small amount on a new battery. Then in December the auto gear changer jammed up a bit; no parts needed but something had siezed up costing me a hundred pounds to fix. Then, at the MoT just before Christmas it failed from parking break efficiency failed; again, no parts needed but something else was seized up so another hundred odd pounds.

Whilst the total of all the above is not a great deal of money, and I have an MoT for another year, I am wondering whether now is the time to change. Oh, there was an MoT advisory of lower suspension arms wearing out which probably would cost 300 pounds; and the service is due in two months which will probably cost 180 pounds though I had only done 5,000 miles last year. The Ceed has none of the usual things that honestjohn doesn’t like - DPFs, DMFs and belt cams, so the main bits should be all good. But the MoT advisory, and the fact that the a/c condenser was perished highlights the fact that nothing lasts forever and things do wear out. I would need to borrow a bit of money to change, but with interest rates very low (2.9 percent for a car loan from the bank), and much lower outgoings due to covid than normal…. is this the right time?

What do you think? Others have said that the Vauxhall Astra is at fire sale prices, though looking around it only works out about 1,000 pounds cheaper than other makes. The fact that I want a reliable automatic does limit the choice a bit, but quite a number of cars on 66/67 plate car with under 30k miles would cost 10 - 11k which I can afford. For this age of car, the best value remains a KIA as most other makes would only have a couple of months left on the warranty. Motorpoint seem to have no end of Hyundai Ioniqs that are cheap, but they aren’t the most attractive. I could spend a bit more but whilst reliable I would avoid the Priius and Auris hybrids as 70 percent of taxis here are hybrid Toyotas, and they seem to be very prone to having the catalyst stolen.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - Avant

The Kia has done you well, but the signs are that it could get expensive as time goes on.

Is your /low annual mileage typical of more normal times? Unless it's very high, best to steer clear of a diesel: newer ones have more to go wrong.

As you've liked your Kia, another one is an obvious possibility, although you need to check service history carefully to make sure the warranty is still valid. Others in the frame could be the Toyota Auris (petrol if you want to avoid hybrids for the reason you gave), Hyundai i30, Mazda 3, Ford Focus and Vauxhall Astra. There are lots of Fords and Vauxhalls to choose from, although avoid any Fords with the Powershift semi-automatic gearbox.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - badbusdriver

The thing about sticking with a Kia is that a car of that age and budget will have a DCT automated manual gearbox. And while it may not give any grief at all (and will be covered under the manufacturers warranty for a few years assuming dealer history), I'd still be wary.

I'd actually be inclined to go for the Astra simply because of the combination of T/C auto and turbo petrol engine. Though if you were planning to get another diesel I'd be thinking of something else due to the Fiat Diesel engine.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - SLO76
Do you need another estate? With your limited mileage I’d avoid a DPF equipped diesel and I’d aim for petrol and with long term ownership in mind I’d avoid any automated manual gearboxes, this includes Hyundai’s DCT. The following are all worthy options.
A Honda Civic 1.8 auto Estate
Toyota Auris 1.2T CVT/1.8 Hybrid
Toyota Avensis 1.8 CVT Estate
Mazda 6 2.0 Skyactiv auto Estate
Vauxhall Astra 1.4T auto Estate

If the space isn’t required the above in hatchback or saloon form are all good news too, so is the Mazda 3 2.0 Skyactiv auto. In fact the latter is probably one of the best used cars on the market today.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/01/2021 at 08:51

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - John F

It is often a flurry of bills which persuade a change from an old car which might well last a good few bill free more years to a much newer car which will have a depreciation cost in one year that possibly exceeds that flurry. Especially if only doing 5,000 miles a year. Had you thought of postponing the clearly unnecessary service for a year? The MoT will ensure it is safe, and also do most of the checks included in the 'service'.

And no Peugeot recommendation from SLO76?

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - SLO76
“ And no Peugeot recommendation from SLO76?”

Not with long term ownership in mind. As much as I quite like the torque converter 1.2 2008, they’re not the best regarding electrical and trim longevity certainly not compared to the likes of a Honda or Toyota. That said, there’s absolutely no reason not to buy one if the OP wants one, I doubt there would be any major failures. I still have more faith in the Japs though.

Thanks for the replies. I was already looking at one of the suggestions, so it was nice to get some validation. From a sensibility point of view, the Astra 1.4T estate is certainly great value for money; it seems to have so much power (150bhp) and my budget could probably stretch to an 18plate; on the downside the front of the car looks so dull and the local Vx dealership isn't the best. Like many decisions, one has to balance the practicalities with what one wants!

Seems to be very little choice with a KIA, so would probably have to be the diesel 1.6CRDi (places like available car have the 1.4T-GDi but only on much newer plates costing thousands more. Although I don't do a high mileage, my regular commute takes me on the motorway so hopefully dpf regen should be ok. Wouldn't any issues with the DCT gearbox be handled under warranty... I'll make a note to query this with KIA? After being burned by buying my last KIA from a Ford dealer, would only get one from a KIA dealership and would make sure that the warranty is all good. KIA were very good and I had no problem with making some minor warranty claims despite my predicament, but it left a bad taste.

No, I don't really need an estate but do find it handy for transporting pushbikes without having to take wheels off, and occasionally taking rubbish to the tip and transporting the odd settee for friends! If the Niro was better value, I would certainly consider it, but it works out nearly 2k pounds more, which doesn't make sense to me. I have currently got a tow bar mounted Thule cycle rack, but it is very heavy and so only use that for longer journeys. I previously had a Roomster which was fine for getting bikes in, but it was an unusual shape.

Other than those suggested models I did look at something smaller, a Suzuki Ignis 1.2 DualJet, but I think the bike transporting bit would be too difficult, and it's debatable whether 90bhp on a petrol engine is enough; the 115bhp on my Ceed is plenty fast enough for me, but I wouldn't want anything that was much less responsive. The Picanto we have is very nippy at lower speeds, but seems to lose speed quickly at the same throttle when encountering the slightest incline which I find tiresome, though maybe it's just what I am used to. Am I right in thinking that this characteristic is less of an issue with turbocharged petrols?

And yes, putting back this year's service and hanging onto the existing Ceed is something I have thought about. I don't think that it missing this year's service will likely affect the car's value. In this climate that proper test drives are difficult, probably the only car I would consider without a decent test drive is another Ceed, so hanging onto it for the time being may be the most prudent option.

Thanks again.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - skidpan

Wouldn't any issues with the DCT gearbox be handled under warranty.

If its still got a live warranty (its not unknown for owners on the Kia Forum to find that a car they have bought used - even from a Kia dealer does not have a warranty) with full service records then the DCT would be covered. But its unlikely the clutches would be, probably considered a wearing part. Pretty sure Kia give a time/mileage limit and its only a few months unless it can be proved a manufacturing defect.

And don't forget that a DPF is only covered if its proved failure was down to a manufacturing defect. Simply being blocked with particles/ash is what you expect either through use or misuse.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - barney100

Seems not too much payout compared with buying another car. After all as soon as you change the car the whole cycle starts again.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - badbusdriver
it's debatable whether 90bhp on a petrol engine is enough; the 115bhp on my Ceed is plenty fast enough for me, but I wouldn't want anything that was much less responsive.

Really?

Your Kia has 115bhp and weighs 1426kg, so each of those 115bhp has to pull 12.4kg

The Ignis AGS (automated manual) has 90bhp and weighs 865kg. So each of those 90bhp has to pull 9.6kg.

0-62mph takes 13.1 seconds for your kia, the Ignis does it in 11.8 seconds (despite the cumbersome AGS).

The Picanto we have is very nippy at lower speeds, but seems to lose speed quickly at the same throttle when encountering the slightest incline which I find tiresome, though maybe it's just what I am used to. Am I right in thinking that this characteristic is less of an issue with turbocharged petrols?

Every car will lose speed on an incline unless you push the throttle further down, laws of physics and all. The only difference is how much more throttle you need to maintain that speed. A turbo diesel or turbo petrol will naturally fair better here having much more torque at lower revs, but a car as light as the Ignis with 90bhp isn't really going to struggle.

Edited by badbusdriver on 19/01/2021 at 18:24

What you say makes perfect sense. Other than the work cars/vans and hire cars I don't tend to drive many other vehicles so good to rely on others for advice! What others have suggested of hiring an identical model of the car one is looking at to have for a weekend if that is possible would be ideal.

Seems not too much payout compared with buying another car. After all as soon as you change the car the whole cycle starts again.

That's exactly the conclusion I am coming to, at least for another year or so!

I phoned the KIA dealership the other day and my car was valued virtually (by me taking photos) at just over 2k. But they didn't really have anything to sell that I wanted, even looking at trade-ins that are coming up. The newer model of Ceed came in on the 68 plate and the 1.4T-GDi seemed to become more popular at that point, so it would make sense to go for that, but the dealership had nothing at a good price. Another dealer (TrustFord) had one at a really good price and purportedly reduced by 800 pounds, but it seemed too good to be true.

Yesterday I went for a drive in my current car and 'rediscovered' how good it is to drive, and that there is really nothing wrong with it that a bit of money wouldn't fix, a fraction of the cost of changing. Because the Ceed (and KIA) have been so good, I also felt that if I changed for a different make (apart from say Toyota), I might regret that choice.

So after all that, I think I'll stick with my elderly Ceed, and get the suspension arms changed; I can always revisit if something unexpected happens or it becomes unreliable. But going through the decision making process has been very useful, and of course the advice. The ironic thing is that the car being valued at a certain figure made me realise what great value it is to me, well for the moment anyway! Thanks.

Kia Ceed Sportswagon - (another) time to change? - barney100

I paid out for a cam belt and water pump on my old V70, gave it a good clean and plan to keep it for as long as possible.