Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - penguin

Hi all, will be getting another car as soon as we are able to go out and buy one. I currently have an 18 plate crossland x. We will be getting a small caravan (900kg max) and the crossland will never tow it, hence getting rid. Have looked at the Dacia Duster but not sure as they seem cheap so I'm guessing there's a reason why they're cheap. Just wondered if anyone had one and what they're like or whether to avoid.

Thanks

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - dan86

Hi all, will be getting another car as soon as we are able to go out and buy one. I currently have an 18 plate crossland x. We will be getting a small caravan (900kg max) and the crossland will never tow it, hence getting rid. Have looked at the Dacia Duster but not sure as they seem cheap so I'm guessing there's a reason why they're cheap. Just wondered if anyone had one and what they're like or whether to avoid.

Thanks

The Crosland should pull that 900kg isn't very heavy

Hi, no it doesn't unfortunately, its max braked towing is 650kg, shocking I know.

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - badbusdriver

I take it you have looked at the specs of the Duster and know that it can tow a caravan of that size?. Also, while I don't know much about caravanning, I'm under the impression that the car's kerb weight has a bearing on how comfortable it is towing a given weight. To that end, the Crossland X 1.2 turbo petrol is heavier than a Duster 1.3 turbo petrol

So make sure you do the research if you haven't already!.

My mate is on his second Duster, he loves them.

Hi, the duster will tow 1500kg braked, our caravan will be 900kg max. We have the 1.2 crossland, no turbo, pretty basic. The max a crossland will tow is 850kg but mine is only 650kg.

Are the dusters reliable? The last couple of vauxhalls ive had haven't been great, was thinking of the mokka but going off vauxhall.

Cheers

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - Trilogy.

The new Mokka isn't a Vauxhall, so you could be OK with one of those.

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - catsdad

Penguin, Dacia are cheap largely because they use older technology and parts from Renault and Nissan and are relatively simple and lowish spec. However they are not bad cars as such.

My sister in law has a Sandero Stepway, my daughter in law a Sandero and her father a Duster. All have been reliable with nothing other than servicing in more than ten years of total ownership. You might want to check reliability stats however to see the wider picture. I suspect they are average.

None of them tow with their cars but googling suggests the Dacia is a good budget tow car option.

if badges aren’t important a Duster is worth considering.

Edited by catsdad on 13/01/2021 at 19:47

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - badbusdriver

The new Mokka isn't a Vauxhall, so you could be OK with one of those.

Same goes for the OP's current Vauxhall, being based on a PSA platform with PSA running gear. This, presumably, is one of the 'not great' Vauxhalls he mentions.

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - daveyK_UK
New Shape Mokka is a re-badged Peugeot 3008, well worth a look.

He is a she (lol)

The Dusters look pretty good, my husband was looking at them and there was a review which mentioned them being quite 'plastic' has put him off a bit.

To me, a car is a car, as long as it does what I need it to do really. The only reason we are changing the crossland is the fact that it won't tow. With the dusters being so cheap we could replace them every 3 years! My last couple of vauxhalls have had a few issues, one was a 3 year old meriva diesel, had done around 20,000 miles & the engine had gone, was a nightmare to get sorted, I spoke to my solicitor & they spoke to theirs, eventually vauxhall got me another car.

Thanks all for your answers

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - Avant

I don't know what your budget is, Penguin, but I'd have a Skoda in front of any of those. You'd need to check max. towing weights but an Ictavia or one of the SUVs would surely do it.

But if you're not that keen on driving, and just want to get from A to B, a Duster will do the job fine, and cheaply.

Hi,
Had a chat to my contact who works at a Renault/Dacia dealers.
Working on & servicing the Duster, he stated the current version of the Duster is more reliable and better built than the earlier version we had in the UK.
He would have no problem recommending one especially the 1.5 diesel which he states can achieve mega mileage.

It is more reliable than the current Qashqai and Kaijar they also repair and service at the dealership mainly due to both of them having unreliable ‘advanced’ technology.

New Qashqai due out this year.

He rates the current shape Juke but has never seen one with a tow bar so doubts it could pull much
Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - focussed

It seems the current Duster 4x4 is a good tow car for not a lot of money.

www.thetowcarawards.com/tow-car/dacia-duster-2/

It also has a really low ratio first gear, which is not recommended to be used when not towing, move off in second gear says the handbook.

Edited by focussed on 14/01/2021 at 10:08

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - Alby Back
Can't really say why, but I really like Dusters. I could even justify one as part of my mountain biking kit.

A car that you'd happily take up unmade tracks to access biking trails, and wouldn't mind a bit of mud on or in.

Might even get one one day, if we're spared !

;-)
Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - bazza

I think the Duster is appealing as it's completely unpretentious and devoid of badge snobbery. A simple no frills vehicle that serves as a workhorse. I like them too, along with the Suzuki Jimmy, the old Hilux and a couple of others, yes the LR defender. But the Duster is cracking value.

Hmmm, the badge thing, I'm only speaking for myself of course, but that has never been a major factor in my car choices, unless there was a good reason or strong evidence to avoid a certain make.

We have a Mercedes estate, a Nissan SUV and a Toyota city car. Not especially chosen for their badges, but because they all do what they are supposed to do, and were bought for, very well. Certainly not with any view to pleasing or conforming with any "Joneses."

I'd buy a Duster because it's very good at being what it is, and I can genuinely see a place for one in my life. It wouldn't be of much interest to me what anyone else thought of it if I liked it. Which is more or less where I am with our current "fleet".

"Those who mind, don't matter, and those who matter, don't mind"

;-)
Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - bazza

Good to be open minded like that, I am similar, I don't mind really what I drive, although am happiest in small simple cars like fiat Panda for some reason, perhaps because I learnt in minis and Coopers. Interesting that my neighbour has owned a number of large estates including BMW, Audi and Mondeos, when I asked him which one was his favourite he said the Mondeos were by far the cars he considered "best".

I like Pandas too. Had three of the original ones as personal cars, and several of the new ones as renters. Great wee cars. As for Mondeos, yes, I'd agree, they are really good cars. I've had 5, actually, maybe 6 Mondeo estates come to think, which were all great at being mile munching, comfortable and reliable load luggers.

One of them, which I had back in the early 2000s, is still showing as MOTd and apparently has nigh on 400,000 miles on it now. It might of course have been treated a Trigger's broom level of maintenance to get there !

Sorry about the thread drift everyone ! Yes, Dusters...

;-)

Hi, no idea why my response has been posted further up the thread!

My husband is just concerned about the 'plastic ' comment on a review. They look good to me.

Our friend said to us about the Mokkas having a small boot, but I only really use my boot for shopping, wouldn't imagine its much different to my crossland, but I'm getting a bit fed up with vauxhalls. Pretty much owned vauxhalls since the 80's.

Will be out to have a good look at one when dealerships are open again, will definitely consider one.

Thanks all for your responses.

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - Avant

"Hi, no idea why my response has been posted further up the thread!"

If you prefer your response to go at the end of the thread, always reply to the first, original, post in the thread.

Dacia Duster - Anyone got a Dacia - catsdad

Re “plastic” in reviews I would take comments like this with a pinch of salt. Some reviewers will criticise hard plastic even in out of the way areas. As long as the controls you touch aren’t uncomfortable then you are hardly going to worry about plastic quality once you are out of the showroom and are actually driving it.

More important to me than plastic touch quality is whether it creaks or rattles.

Looking at prices of new Dusters it seems they have crept up for higher spec models (now about £19k compared to an £11k base model) but I guess mid range used will be the sweet spot in terms of value.

Agree,
I would take ‘hard’ plastics with a pinch of salt.

I read a review recently criticising the latest shape Octavia due to ‘large swathes of hard plastics’; later on in the article it mentioned the plastics again but added they where mainly out of sight.

Very rare to see a bad or crude interior in the UK new car market, the only one I can think off is the MG3 which is dated despite the rather good stereo touch screen.
Suzuki Ignis is a brilliant little car and you could possibly argue it’s interior is slightly crude and flimsy but not to the point it’s unusable or unreliable.

Some reviewers only want a Mercedes E class interior!

One who used to write for Auto Express would review vans and criticise them for having bland hard wearing interiors and not having plush interiors - vans are designed for commercial use, longevity plus a decent drive is what counts not Jaguar saloon levels of plushness,

Then again, honest John used to employ a terrible Geordie bloke to review cars, possibly the worst reviewer ever.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 16/01/2021 at 09:32