Mitsubishi Outlander - Mitsubishi outlander 2007 - Pete stone

I've a 2007 outlander with the vw bsy engine.

Is it possible to change the dual mass flywheel for a single mass, if so which one would I need.

I believe the engine is the same as they fit to the A4 Audi but not 100% sure.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Mitsubishi outlander 2007 - focussed

Yes if you can live with nasty gear chatter from the gearbox at low rpm and it will probably trash the gearbox in the long run, and a broken crank could be on the cards too!

Mitsubishi Outlander - Mitsubishi outlander 2007 - Railroad.

A dual mass flywheel is there to serve a specific purpose. If it's worn it would be cheaper to replace it with a solid flywheel. However that initial saving will be vastly outweighed when you eventually have to replace your gearbox due to its destruction by not having an energy absorbing dual mass flywheel. Your choice really.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Mitsubishi outlander 2007 - skidpan

A dual mass flywheel is there to serve a specific purpose. If it's worn it would be cheaper to replace it with a solid flywheel. However that initial saving will be vastly outweighed when you eventually have to replace your gearbox due to its destruction by not having an energy absorbing dual mass flywheel. Your choice really.

Not just the gearbox, can affect the engine as well.

After years of diesels with DMF's we bought a Ceed that did not have one. You could certainly tell, it would not run at low revs without vibrations through the whole car. A "Campaign Recall" for a updated ECU map improved matters but it was still annoying having to hold 4th or 5th when 5th or 6th would have been fine in other cars. And it wasn't because it was higher geared either, it was probably lower geared.

Does not seem to cause any reliability issues with those cars probably because that is how they are designed to be used, just a bit agricultural.

Mitsubishi Outlander - Mitsubishi outlander 2007 - jc2
First vehicle to use Dmf was,in fact,petrol!