What happens if..? - primus 1

Idly watching some of these dash cam clips on you tube which, tbh , a lot of aggro could be avoided if the dash cammer, was the bigger person and just let it go, anyhoo, I’m sure you’ve all seen the car in front takes umbridge at being honked at and decides to take action usually by brake testing the driver behind even coming to a complete stop daring the car behind to run into the back of them, so what would happen in this scenario? would there be any defence if it was shown that the other driver made a dangerous manoeuvre and the car behind ran into the back of them?, especially as it’s all on film...

What happens if..? - Terry W

If someone clearly brakes sharply for no apparent reason then they would be held responsible (at least partially) for causing the accident.

More to the point is were you to run into the back of them because they had unreasonably braked hard, you would need to stop and exchange details. As you step out your car, rightly cross at their actions, two blokes with biceps bigger than brains step out of the other car.

The question is - "do you feel lucky, punk"

What happens if..? - badbusdriver

Idly watching some of these dash cam clips on you tube which, tbh , a lot of aggro could be avoided if the dash cammer, was the bigger person and just let it go, anyhoo, I’m sure you’ve all seen the car in front takes umbridge at being honked at and decides to take action usually by brake testing the driver behind even coming to a complete stop daring the car behind to run into the back of them, so what would happen in this scenario? would there be any defence if it was shown that the other driver made a dangerous manoeuvre and the car behind ran into the back of them?, especially as it’s all on film...

I have often felt the same way, that the 'cammer' could very easily avoid the accident/near miss simply by using a bit of patience, consideration, observation and common sense.

As to your question?, not sure where the law would come down, I guess it would depend of the specifics of the incident. Obviously you are supposed to leave enough space from the vehicle in front so that you don't run in the back should an emergency stop happen. But at the same time, if the car forces its way into a small gap in front of you then brakes hard because of your ire, is that your fault?.

What happens if..? - Sofa Spud

Another scenario I've experienced at a staggered crossroads while travelling along the main priority road. I'm travelling along at probably 40 mph, can't remember exactly.

A car pulls out from the left, causing me to brake somewhat, then they travel a few metres as far as the right turn part of the crossroads before slamming on their brakes to give way to oncoming traffic. I'm already braking sharply because they pulled out in front of me and have to stand on the pedal to avoid tail-ending them when they stop.

What happens if..? - FP

The worst example I've had of sudden braking in front of me was one summer day on the A30 while travelling north on a dual carriageway section.

I was approaching a somewhat sneakily positioned speed camera at the bottom of a dip, watching my speed, as obviously the temptation is to let the car go a bit, when I was overtaken by a sports car driven by someone who wasn't concentrating, but was going only slightly in excess of the limit.

They braked hard on spotting the camera. Not only that, but pulled right in front of me. Not only that, but they obviously did not know what the speed limit was - it was 70 - and were desperately trying to get their speed down to 60.

I should have saved the clip from the dashcam, but I was too busy avoiding what could have been a very messy situation. It was pretty scary. Brake if you must, but why the hell pull in front of me at the same time?

What happens if..? - primus 1

On some of these clips you can clearly see what’s about to happen, by the offending vehicles body language, so to speak, you can tell the van/car is going to pull into their lane so they speed up with either the I’ve got right of way mentality, or they want their 15 minutes of fame, posting on you tube,

What happens if..? - bathtub tom

What annoys me is the number of these sanctimonious prigs who pull off a roundabout into the outside lane of a dual carriageway.

I confess to having undertaken some of them (hangs head in shame). A police car once!

What happens if..? - Andrew-T

What annoys me is the number of these sanctimonious prigs who pull off a roundabout into the outside lane of a dual carriageway.

Just wondering how you can be sure they are both sanctimonious and prigs - and if no-one is allowed to take the outside lane from a roundabout, why is it there ? :-)

What happens if..? - 72 dudes

Have to admit to watching these Dashcam channels regularly and always being amazed at the lack of observation and anticipation.

However, have a look at the US versions for far worse standards of driving. The mentality seems to be, hey if you're in the wrong, you deserve to be crashed into.

The worst of the lot are the Russian Dashcam clips, where you're constantly amazed at the sheer stupidity of the drivers and the horrendous results. Way too much vodka and/or drugs in play!

Edited by 72 dudes on 05/01/2021 at 23:23

What happens if..? - edlithgow

Just wondering how you can be sure they are both sanctimonious and prigs -

It was a police car. Prigs was perhaps a typo?

What happens if..? - Andrew-T

Just wondering how you can be sure they are both sanctimonious and prigs -

It was a police car. Prigs was perhaps a typo?

That's not how I read it - sounds like only one of several was a police car ?

What happens if..? - KBB

I confess to having undertaken some of them (hangs head in shame). A police car once!

Not understanding the issue here. If there is a roundabout with 2 or more clearly marked lanes and one of the exits is a dual carriageway, why is it a problem to exit the roundabout onto the outside lane of the DC?

What happens if..? - RT

It should only be done if there is a vehicle exiting in the inner lane - but quite valid in those circumstances.

It ,may be local to me, but I've noticed many drivers getting in the outside lane of dual carriageway ready to turn right, despite the fact they're a mile and several roundabouts previous to their junction.

What happens if..? - skidpan

Brake if you must, but why the hell pull in front of me at the same time?

Probably because they believe the urban myth that you cannot get done for speeding if you are in lane 1. Some believe cameras only cover lanes 2 etc where cars go faster.

What happens if..? - John F

I do it regularly if there are two lanes into, on and out of the roundabout. The only hazard is the wally on the inside lane going all the way round - cyclists excepted, of course.

What really annoys me is people pulling off a roundabout with their right indicator still flashing. Seems more common nowadays.

What happens if..? - Manatee

What annoys me is the number of these sanctimonious prigs who pull off a roundabout into the outside lane of a dual carriageway

That'll be me!

What happens if..? - Deryck

Another scenario I've experienced at a staggered crossroads while travelling along the main priority road. I'm travelling along at probably 40 mph, can't remember exactly.

A car pulls out from the left, causing me to brake somewhat, then they travel a few metres as far as the right turn part of the crossroads before slamming on their brakes to give way to oncoming traffic. I'm already braking sharply because they pulled out in front of me and have to stand on the pedal to avoid tail-ending them when they stop.

I have had the same but as it is part of my (previously) regular commute in the evening I tend to anticipate it. I am not so bothered if traffic is busy (although this is a rural route) but what gets me is when they do this when there is nothing following me and they could have pulled out behind me.Just the lack of thought!!

Edited by Deryck on 06/01/2021 at 09:38

What happens if..? - Manatee

would there be any defence if it was shown that the other driver made a dangerous manoeuvre and the car behind ran into the back of them?, especially as it’s all on film...

The problem would usually be evidence. Unless you have something very clear on video or very good evidence of another kind (e.g. multiple independent witnesses), he (the rammer) who runs into the back of somebody else is usually deemed at fault, assuming the rammee doesn't put his hands up (which he won't).

Video would definitely help, especially regarding any possible prosecution. Insurers sometimes can't be bothered to fight. I had a terrible job to get them to see it my way on one occasion where I actually had a signed 'confession' from the other party. They had decided it was 50/50 and as far as they were concerned that was that. They rolled over eventually.