Posh Estates - Peter C
I really want an umarket,high spec second hand (2 to 3 years old)estate car. I rather like the Audi A6, the BMW 5 series is good but I am put off that they are everywhere. THe Merc E class is just too expensive. The Saab 9-5 is very appealing but the fact that it is a Vectra underneath puts me off.Should I give them all amiss and become a Volvo V70 driver. Any thoughts on where I should put my money greatly appreciated. I get a mileage allowance which discourages a Diesel with 10p mile. For petrol engines of under 2 litres I get 13p and over 2 litres 15p so just over 2 litres is the favourite.

Cheers

Peter
Posh Estates - DavidHM
Probably an A6, but if it's too common, I take it a 5 series is too expensive. What's your budget?

Also, if you were to go for an A6, real world economy figures of 45 mpg for the diesel, 29 mpg for the petrol 1.8 turbo and 25 mpg for the petrol 2.4 would mean you're making a profit of 2.2, 1.3 and 1.4 pence per mile out of your expenses.

If you drive 10,000 business miles per year, you would get an extra £12 per year back in mileage allowances after your true expenses by going for the 'over 2.0' option. The diesel would give you an extra £97 though - the joys of early morning Excel.

If you then do another 8000 private miles, over the diesel you'd be spending £318 and £448 more on fuel with the two petrol engines against the diesel. Against that you have to weigh the likely extra cost of the diesel to buy and possibly service - but offset by the probably higher resale value. It's a minefield I'm afraid.
Posh Estates - volvod5_dude
You should be able to buy a new shape SE spec V70 2.4T for a reasonable price. This was my prevoius car and the performance is excellent.

VD5D
Posh Estates - Altea Ego
Do not be put off by the fact the SAAB is a gm and has a vectra floor pan. It is light years away from the vectra. Friend of mine has the 5 D estate and it is suprmemely comfortable, drives superbly and flies like the wind. We racked up 600 miles in a day and climbed out fresher than we stepped in. Plus the fact the back is huge - it is an all round cracker.
Posh Estates - Gen
A6 is best image wise. At least in my opinion.
Posh Estates - Trilly
Went through exactly the same cars and ended up with a V70 as the car to go for, don't see as many on the roads and has a good spec for the price.

Was going to buy second hand but so impressed with the range of options and the car in general went for an new XC70 and very happy (after 2 weeks).
Posh Estates - Peter C
Thankyou to everone who gave their helpful suggestions. Especially David HM for his Excel calculations. Very helpful for the mathematically challenged like me! I reckon the Diesel option is the right way to go. Followed by friend in his Saab 9-5 diesel 2.2 ltr in my BMW 318is. It was no slow coach.

Cheers

Peter
Posh Estates - Fullchat
Where I live is quite a posh estate!

Sorry couldn't resist and I've not been to the pub.

Fullchat
Posh Estates - mab23

If you're only getting 10p/mile business expenses I think you can claim the difference between that and the Inland Revenue approved amount of 40p-ish/mile back on your tax return.

I am not an accountant - do your own research and don't blame me if you get sent to clink! :-)

mike
Posh Estates - Dude - {P}
If you`re already a Beem owner, I can thoroughly recommend the 150 bhp 320d SE Touring. There are not many 2 litre petrol cars that can live with their performance, and the build quality is superb.!!
Posh Estates - MichaelR
I dont understand why the fact a car is 'everywhere' should affect your purchasing decision. Surely you are buying a car for it's ability to fulfil your needs, it's equipment level, the way it drives, etc, and not whether you see 3 or 6 of them in Tesco's carpark, what does it matter?

E39 5 Series are everywhere (Well, compared to an A6 I guess, 5'ers are still not THAT common) becuase they are simply outstanding cars. Why miss out on an outstanding car just becuase other people own them?
Posh Estates - roscopervis
The Saab 9-5 is not based on the Vectra, that is the 9-3. The 9-5 has a much better chassis which is a revision of the Omega/Lancia Thema and some other cars platform. It is better than the Vectra based platform.
Posh Estates - DavidHM
Sorry Rosco... no.

The Omega has nothing in common with any of these cars. For a start, it's RWD while all of the others are FWD. It shares a platform with some Australian Holdens, and that's it. The 9000 wsa a product of the mid to late 80s platform sharing with Fiat that also produced the Alfa 164, but more forgettably, the Fiat Croma and the Thema that you mention.

The original 9-3 (and the 900 immediately before it) was based on the Mk III Cavalier platform, of all things.

The (larger) 9-5 is based on the (smaller) original Vectra, while the new 9-3 is based on the current Vectra platform. In all cases, the chassis has been substantially revised and I'm not suggesting that any Saabs are simply glorified Vauxhalls.
Posh Estates - Stargazer {P}
Nobody else has mentioned them, but if somebody else is paying for the petrol then an AWD Subaru Legacy, preferably the 2.5 litre engine. Similar length to a V70, huge luggage area, handling is fantastic whatever the road conditions.

I had an Outback in Australia and would definitely go for one again for my next car except that I pay for my own petrol. Other down sides are insurance group and servicing.

cheers

Ian L.