Toyota Corolla. 1999 T reg, 1.6 petrol automatic. - Idle adjustment - Geoffrey Courtney

Is it possible to adjust the idling speed of my car. It appears quite visible in the engine bay though Toyota recommend that it is not touched as it was set on the factory floor. The idling speed appears a little low and has cut out a few times. Can it be adjusted. I don't yet know if I need a new Idle Air Control Valve. ?

Thank you

Mr G Courtney.

Toyota Corolla. 1999 T reg, 1.6 petrol automatic. - Idle adjustment - elekie&a/c doctor
This will have an old style throttle cable and electric idle adjuster. There should be a base idle adjust screw,(factory set) but before trying to tweak up the idle, I would clean the throttle housing and butterfly and remove the idle actuator to give that a thorough clean . Us carb or brake cleaner .
Toyota Corolla. 1999 T reg, 1.6 petrol automatic. - Idle adjustment - jc2

If it is still slow after cleaning,you need to remove the connector on the idle speed control valve before setting base idle(usually 50-100rpm below nominal).Refitting the connector should return it to normal.