Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - memyself-aye

After five and a half years ownership my first MOT 'fail' As expected with i10's it was the rear discs and pads which after the fail, were replaced by me for 50 quid. Actually, five years isn't bad considering rear brakes are a weak item with these cars but my MGB has gone fifty years without needing rear brakes replacing so why do modern cars have discs all round?

Edited by memyself-aye on 28/12/2020 at 19:55

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - Engineer Andy

Why use an MOT to show they were not safe? All it does it make potential buyers later on think you don't look after the car. Such an item would've been picked up at the previous service as one to replace worn parts, or possibly in the case of the i10/Picanto, sticking brakes due to low usage.

All that for the sake of something that costs £50.

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - elekie&a/c doctor
There are plenty of cars out there that don’t have rear disc brakes. Not sure if it’s down to cost or technical issues . With more and more cars having electric parking brake , then more cars will be fitted with rear discs. I’d be interested to know how it failed the mot on rear brakes ? They would have to be completely rotten or fail the brake roller efficiency test . As an mot tester in a previous life , it’s very difficult to fail a car on the braking system . It has to be in a very poor condition.
Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - badbusdriver

After five and a half years ownership my first MOT 'fail' As expected with i10's it was the rear discs and pads which after the fail, were replaced by me for 50 quid. Actually, five years isn't bad considering rear brakes are a weak item with these cars but my MGB has gone fifty years without needing rear brakes replacing so why do modern cars have discs all round?

Firstly, not all modern cars have discs all round. Our Suzuki Ignis has drums on the back. Why?, who knows?, possibly bragging rights?. Discs are considered more effective than drums (which of course they are), so to some, the notion of a small, (relatively) inexpensive car having discs all round would be a plus point.

But I do also agree with Andy. Leaving them till the car fails its MOT is potentially going to put off a potential buyer, for the reasons given. £50 isn't a lot over the course of 5.5 years (about 17.5p per week) than if it had rear drums.

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - blindspot

my thoughts. its a good car. could be better . 11 years ownership now 102 ,000

front wheel bearings. at 50k

alternator bearing guess 70k

whole load of trouble with back brakes. from day one the brakes were tight. rather it was drum brakes.

oil leak from the back of engine

now need top mounting bearing.

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - alan1302

my thoughts. its a good car. could be better . 11 years ownership now 102 ,000

front wheel bearings. at 50k

alternator bearing guess 70k

whole load of trouble with back brakes. from day one the brakes were tight. rather it was drum brakes.

oil leak from the back of engine

now need top mounting bearing.

Ours was 7 years old when we sold it and had done 130,000 miles in that time - other than standard servicing the only issue was faulty power steering in year 3 which was fixed under warranty.

Never had any issues with the brake front discs or bake drums - although does seem to be a weak point going by reviews. Would have kept it longer but needed a larger car.

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - galileo

The i30 (and similar Kia Ceed) have rear discs but the handbrake operates on a drum integral with the disc, this arrangement seems to be quite effective and durable.

Discs all round became common as the top speed of 'ordinary' cars rose, most will now reach 100 mph+ where legal and discs are considered better for high speed brake performance.

Edited by galileo on 29/12/2020 at 10:54

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - Terry W

Other half has a 1.2, 11 year old i10 bought at a year old. Only low mileage (40k) as very much a second car. Never failed an MoT and entirely suitable for around town.

Every time we consider changing it we do the sums. Currently - depreciation negligible, road tax trivial, insurance not much, service +MoT normally ~£100-150, largest non-routine expense during ownership was a new battery.

Worth keeping on the drive just as a back up, even if annual mileage is probably now less than 2000.

ther than serv

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - SLO76
Great wee cars, I certainly wouldn’t be holding it against the wee thing to have had a fifty quid bill in five and a half years.

Eye opener earlier whilst reading through a recent copy of What Car magazine, a test comparing the Kia Picanto 1.25 and new i10 1.2. Both were very well regarded but the list prices horrified me. £14k for the Kia and almost £15k for the i10!!! What utter madness and I would never recommend either at that money. A good used example at 3yrs old and a fraction of the money would be the best bet as they’re utterly reliable anyway.
Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - memyself-aye

yes it is good - I intend to keep it a while yet - and why not at £20 RFL, 55-65 to the gallons cheap insurance bullet proof reliability, easy to park, ok to drive (for a 3 cylinder). As for future buyers being 'worried' that will be years down the road when it will be worth £1-£2k and at that stage it will sell regardless. I knew the rear brakes would be an issue at some stage they were never dangerous- just think rear discs on small cars are a daft idea!

Hyundai i10 - Thoughts on a Hyundai - SLO76

yes it is good - I intend to keep it a while yet - and why not at £20 RFL, 55-65 to the gallons cheap insurance bullet proof reliability, easy to park, ok to drive (for a 3 cylinder). As for future buyers being 'worried' that will be years down the road when it will be worth £1-£2k and at that stage it will sell regardless. I knew the rear brakes would be an issue at some stage they were never dangerous- just think rear discs on small cars are a daft idea!

The rear drums on my Polo were a frequent sticking point, requiring several strip downs and cleaning. Rear brakes are a problem on most cars as they age due to the bulk of braking effort being done by the front rotors and the parking brake being located to the rear. From gunked up drums to sticking callipers, luckily most are cheap to fix.