Quality & comfort of ride - nikki
In the market for a small to medium sized car to replace a Cavalier CD automatic. Unfortunately all those I have tried so date, like the Jazz (the new one), Yaris, Mercedes 160,& 220 and the small Skoda all ride like bricks. The cars from France seem to be better sprung but I am not over fond of Renault.
So far I have not tried those from the Rover group! Does any one have experience of a modern car that can soak up the pot-holes, is quite both inside and out and provides at least two comfortable seats?
Quality & comfort of ride - Andy P
Honda Civic

Andy
Quality & comfort of ride - Observer
If there is a dealer handy (they are a bit few and far between, check on the website) see Car-by-Car Breakdown on the Kia Magentis. We are happy with ours, it is comfortable, and handles humps pretty well.
Quality & comfort of ride - Altea Ego
As you like French springs, but not Renaults, tried Peugeot's?
Quality & comfort of ride - blank
Nikki:
I have just returned from driving with a friend to Le Mans in a Honda Civic 3dr. I found the ride to be surprisingly quiet and whilst fairly firm, was very compliant over bumps and ruts as well as quiet from small road imperfections.

It's certainly leagues ahead of A Class or Jazz in the ride department.

Might be worth a try
Andy
Quality & comfort of ride - blank
Must be the afternoon of Andy's recommended Civics. It had taken me ages between posts to type mine and hadn't seen Andy P's!

Bear in mind that the 3dr and 5dr Civic are completely different cars, not just in looks. You might like one, but not the other.

Andy
Quality & comfort of ride - TrevP
The best ride (and handling) of small/medium cars is the Peugeot 306. And of those, the TD is the recommended version.
Quality & comfort of ride - AlanGowdy
I'm surprised you found the Skoda Fabia uncomfortable, Nikki. I drove one and thought it just about the best riding small car I'd ever been in. Too much body roll on corners was the price to be paid though.
Quality & comfort of ride - nikki
Many thanks for the prompt reply and ideas about comfortable cars. It would seem that the Honda Civic is a favorite I put to the test. Many thanks to all for your opinions! nikki
Quality & comfort of ride - Ben79
For a cracking medium car, try a Citroen Xsara HDI, smooth comfy ride, good handling and a great engine. The petrol engines are bad either.

I drove one for 2 years and it seems to fulfil all your requirements.

Ben
On my 3rd Citroen. Saxo, Xsara, C5.
Quality & comfort of ride - Civlian
I can confirm that the Civic 3-door ride very differently to the 5-door. The ride is reasonably supple on most roads, and fairly quiet, too. On my 16 mile journey to work (town, motorway)the ride is perfectly acceptable on all roads except one stretch of 0.5 mile near to my home, along which I've travelled in 3 other cars without noticing any restlessness in the car. I now know what this term means when applied to suspension - it's an unpleasant sensation that seems to affect the Civic only at about 30mph.
I've tweaked tyre pressures in an attempt to soften the ride, but not with any great success.

Buildwise the car is very good, with an excellent gearshift, but there is little power below about 1500-2000 rev, unlike in a Fiesta for example.