Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - Sarnav

Hi.

My Omega have a 2.0 8v engine (x20se). I am having performance loss and engine hesitation problems while accelerating. Sometimes while idling when i touch the gas pedal, little bit of popping sounds, then rpm goes up. Fuel consumption is kinda high. Idle is little bit wavy.

From researches i did, this problems might cause MAF sensor failure. But i asked some mechanics, some say spark plugs and wires, some say ignition coil, one said MAF sensor fault.

I tried unplugging MAF sensor while running, idle is dropped little and started shaking. When i push the gas, popped and stopped. There wasn't an engine light while trying this.

Here is the confusion begins. I never saw an engine light on dash, not even ignition is on. I also gone a car electrician and connected my car to a PC tosee fault codes. He checked while ignition is on, but not running the engine, and there is not a problem about MAF sensor. Just knocking and o2 fault codes due LPG system on my car, he says.

The thing i want to ask is, what should i change? I can replace MAF sensor, but original Bosch one is really expensive (price is almost 2 times of my monthly income). I can buy chinese MAF sensor, is that work? Or is this all about ignition system?

Sorry for long post and bad English.

Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - elekie&a/c doctor
Very likely to be spark plugs and wires . Also common issues with these is the distributor cap and rotor arm . Access a bit difficult as it’s located right at the back of the engine , under the bulkhead. Maf sensors don’t often give trouble on these.

Thanks for the answer. I don't have distributor, it is coil pack setup on my car. Spark plug wires coming from the coil parck that stays on place of the original Vectra A engines (c20ne) distributor.

I guess this is a non UK spec car . I would change the wires and plugs first.
Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - galileo
I guess this is a non UK spec car . I would change the wires and plugs first.

The OP said 'gas pedal' so you are probably correct, most likely he is in the USA

I would say more likely a left drive euro model . Unlikely to see this model with an lpg conversion in the USA .
Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - RT

Referring to Opel in the thread heading gives the game away.

Edited by RT on 11/12/2020 at 19:20

Well, actually i am from Turkey :) My English is not so good. It is very limited getting information about my car in my country since it is rare, so i came here.

Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - Lee Power

Running on LPG does wear spark plugs more, the gap increases meaning the plugs need checking / replacing more often.

When the gap gets bigger it puts greater load on the coil pack.

We are changing plugs every 6 months on forklift LPG engines that run pretty much 24 / 7.

FWIW, we use Denso Iridium plugs as there only £1.86 each to us.

Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - Railroad.

You may also find that running on LPG has reduced the valve clearances, which will affect the valve timing and cause misfire.

I would remove the top cover and check with a feeler gauge between the camshaft lobe (pointing upwards) and the rocker to see if they're tight. If so you'll need a tool to compress each valve in turn so you can remove the rocker and hydraulic lifter. Then prise the clip off the lifter with a screwdriver and pull the two parts apart, taking care not to lose the spring. Then clean out the oil and put it back together making sure you can squeeze it. Sqirt a drop of oil on each rocker and put the top cover back on and start the engine. It will rattle at first but don't worry, it'll soon quieten down as the valve clearances set themselves correctly. You might like to treat the engine to an oil and filter change at the same time.

I used to work in a Vauxhall dealer. I've done hundreds of these.

Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - Big John

If no distributor as mentioned on previous post then i'd suggest changing coil pack

Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - edlithgow

OP, if you havn't got, and can't get, any diagnostic information, I would do the suggested valve clearance first, partly because its based on experience with the marque, but mostly because it wouldn't cost anything, unlike changing the coil pack on a guess, which would.

Opel Omega 2.0 8v - Engine Performance Problem - Big John

As it runs on lpg - checking valve clearances is a good call, also worth doing a compression test. Lpg can cause valve recession.

i mentioned coil pack as they are usually cheap , known to fail and can cause some of the OP's symptoms..

Thank you all for the answers guys. I am going to give you more deep details that i recently realised about my problem.

This symptoms happens more at cold engine, both LPG and gas. At normal operating temperature, much less feeling this problems, but still have. Also problem is lot more obvious at running with LPG.

Sometimes hesitation while accelerating not happens, gaining speed like a bullet. Sometimes it holds the car at 2k-3k, then it leaves. But sometimes it happens horrible, even flooring the gas not working, it just hangs at same speed. I think my gas pedal position somewhat affects that.