First EV servive station - sammy1

The first EV charging station has opened in Braintree. Its aim is to fast charge EVs in about 20 mins while owners shop or use other facilities while they are waiting. The company operating the system also runs a solar farm some 40 miles away. Presumably they are selling electric to the grid and then buying back electric for its service station(s). I expect the company and its customers are laughing at the moment with the price of electric with no fuel duty or VAT How long can this be sustainable and what disadvantages to the tax payer and ICE motorists. EV owners with their own chargers will only use a station in an emergency or out of distance from home. Somehow I cannot see a demand for these stations other than in densely populated areas.

First EV servive station - badbusdriver

Its aim is to fast charge EVs in about 20 mins while owners shop or use other facilities while they are waiting.

The only EV's they will be able to charge in 20 mins are those with the capacity to take on electricity at that rate. That is not a long list, I know it includes the Porsche Taycan, but not sure how many, if any (at the moment), others.

First EV servive station - alan1302

Sammy1 - are you ever positive about anything?

First EV servive station - Andrew-T

Sammy1 - are you ever positive about anything?

Theory and large-scale practice can sometimes be very different, we must wait and see. And look at Brexit as another example.

First EV service station - Avant

Oh for heaven's sake.

People have been complaining, with some justification, about the shortage of charging stations (and in particular the unreliabilty of those provided by Ecotricity). Now when someone comes along with a service station specifically for charging EVs, you tell us that's bad news too.

"Gridserve is aiming to build similar charging stations across the UK ahead of the ban on petrol and diesel cars, which will come into effect in 2030."

It seems to be a British characteristic to be reactive when we should be proactive. So it's good to see at least one company looking forward and being ready for the demand when it comes - as it will, notably from people who live in flats or park on a street, and can't have access to their own charger..

Let's be positive, rather than just try to 'servive' (sic).

Edited by Avant on 08/12/2020 at 23:19

First EV service station - badbusdriver

I'm generally very positive about electric cars, just pointing out the fact that there are very few electric cars currently on the go which have the capacity to take on electricity at the rate needed to charge them in twenty minutes. Because it isn't just about the power at the charger, the cars themselves can only take on as much as their electrical system can handle.

The Porsche Taycan is one which can, thanks to its 800V system, but very much in the minority at the moment.

But I am absolutely in favour of electric cars. Were it not for the lack of off street parking, I'd very seriously consider an electric van for my job.

First EV service station - madf

In 2019 37,850 BEVs were sold in the UK

To November 2020,86,291 were sold.

So an increase of over 120% with Dec sales yet to come.

Many will be Company cars for the BIK.

They have to recharge somewhere.

If the year over year increase continues at that rate, by 2025 every new car will be a BEV.

(Of course the rate will slow down)

First EV service station - Chris M

youtu.be/FoN4WCpuxHY

20 minute piece by an EV YouTuber on the Braintree site.

Edited by Chris M on 09/12/2020 at 08:24

First EV service station - daveyjp

I"m sure the person who built the first drive in petrol station would have received a similar response had the internet existed.

This is the start of the future infrastructure we will see and all the arguments about people living in flats and extension leads over pavements will be seen as crazy in a few years time.

First EV service station - Andrew-T

This is the start of the future infrastructure we will see and all the arguments about people living in flats and extension leads over pavements will be seen as crazy in a few years time.

Maybe some of the many derelict or run-down petrol stations will be converted to EVs ? But realistically I guess EV-chargers will be on greenfield sites as often happens.

First EV service station - John F

For low mileage pensioners it doesn't make economic sense yet. Around 25p per kWh works out to be around 6p per mile. At around £5 per gallon, over 40mpg in our £17,000 Pug 2008 is around 12p per mile. At 5,000 miles a year that's £300 pounds a year extra for convenient liquid refuelling rather than time consuming recharging. Assuming relative fuelling prices remain constant, it would take twenty years to recoup the at least £6000 price premium for a similar size EV.

First EV service station - pd

Good to see them putting in the expensive chargers which will support the latest fast charge models. OK, so there aren't many at the moment, but there will be and they are looking at what sort of cars will be charging up in 5 years time as well as today.

I also suspect, in the long run, these sort of places will be cheaper to build than petrol/diesel forecourts. Those cost a fortune to build.

Edited by pd on 09/12/2020 at 09:47

First EV service station - Bolt

I"m sure the person who built the first drive in petrol station would have received a similar response had the internet existed.

I see extension leads over pavements now with some who can`t get their car in the drive, so park on the road, there are 3 Tesla`s not far from me and one in my road where the owner uses an extension lead, though the car is a bit wide for his drive anyway

IMO fuel stations will be Hydrogen fill up points, so there will I think be a use for the old filling stations

I see extension leads over pavements now with some who can`t get their car in the drive, so park on the road, there are 3 Tesla`s not far from me and one in my road where the owner uses an extension lead, though the car is a bit wide for his drive anyway

IMO fuel stations will be Hydrogen fill up points, so there will I think be a use for the old filling stations

The problem with old filling stations is oil/fuel pollution. Many sites will probably be unsellable without expensive removal of old tanks, all pipework and the canopies. Plus removal of ALL contaminated soil..- which may be a major issue with really old sites.

Edited by madf on 09/12/2020 at 12:07

First EV service station - Terry W

It is called future proofing!

They have the good sense to specify technology that WILL be commonplace in a few years, not that which supports the trivial number of EVs out there at the moment.

However I suspect that many EV recharging stations will be located in supermarket and retail park locations - drive in, connect up, do shopping, go back to fully charged car.

First EV service station - veloceman
Personally I would be quite happy driving an electric car. Liking the look of the new Fiat 500, with nearly 200 mile range will cover 95% of my driving.
Main concerns are price and whether technology moves so quickly I’ll be left with a worthless white elephant.
Fortunately I have a side drive therefore charging wouldn’t be an issue so if someone has a crystal ball that says it’ll be good for 10 years I would go for one.
Clean, quiet, comfortable, plenty of torque and cheap to run why wouldn’t you.
I guess we going over old ground here but as soon as the things are affordable to buy I’ll be there.
First EV service station - sammy1

I try to put opinions on subjects on here to prompt some discussion. There is a very recent thread on here about the site going down hill and its not just about the software problems. The comment of "am I happy about anything" is completely unjustified and personalises free comment.

From my point of view whether or not the company is a pioneer in the EV industry they are buying electric presumably at very favourable rates from the grid, adding a profit margin and selling it on as a service. Is it even viable without vast subsidy and how long will this last until some sort of equilibrium with fossil fuels. As others have commented how many existing EVs can charge in 20mins as the company suggests. The company even suggests that owners of EVs will not let their charge run right down but will be happy to visit frequently for a top up. From a personal point of view I hate visiting the petrol station especially at this time of year so why would EV owners want to put up with the inconvenience. I hope they have sound business plan as I do not see it with EVs stuck on the forecourt forever charging. Strange isn't it I was reading of the petrol station in Manchester fining people if they spent more than 15mins on site!

First EV service station - alan1302

I try to put opinions on subjects on here to prompt some discussion. There is a very recent thread on here about the site going down hill and its not just about the software problems. The comment of "am I happy about anything" is completely unjustified and personalises free comment.

I just get tired of seeing every comment/post you start is negative - can you not see anything positive in companies investing into the EV industry and pusging to help clean up the pollution that cars create? Surely you can see that as a good thing?

First EV service station - John F

I didn't think it was particularly negative. I thought it was a good opener for a debate and I enjoyed making a contribution. In future there will probably be many who live in flats or terraced houses with on street parking who choose to buy an EV even with no possibility of home refuelling - just like almost everyone with ICEs. Also, in future car ownership may decline, replaced by ad hoc leasing, which the video mentioned. I think Gridserve probably has a great future if it remains solvent in its early years. Just the sort of entrepreneurship this country needs.

In future there will probably be many who live in flats or terraced houses with on street parking who choose to buy an EV even with no possibility of home refuelling - just like almost everyone with ICEs.

If - as has been stated - only a few advanced EVs are able to tolerate a 'fill-up' in 20 minutes, it will need another giant step forward (not just a quantum leap) before fill-ups are possible in under 5 minutes, as is the norm with petrol or diesel.

I just get tired of seeing every comment/post you start is negative - can you not see anything positive in companies investing into the EV industry and pusging to help clean up the pollution that cars create? Surely you can see that as a good thing

Pollution is indeed a big problem. But the laws of physics" matter can neither be created or destroyed" apply to everything we do. Things can only be moved around. With cars the main pollution is the building and making of the raw materials. The pollution won't happen in your inner city but miles away in a factory or at some mine. The city resident won't be directly affected but someone will. To make your electric the same applies. Coal is being mined and transported to power stations, as is so called clean biomass imported from abroad shipped and driven in lorries to power stations Nuclear power the same building it the raw materials that go into the build. running it and the 100s of years decommission it. Green energy wind turbines, the making of erecting, servicing the things all takes energy and causes pollution. You then have the Carbon Credit system whereby polluters can buy and sell carbon credits to make them sells appear green. Eg you have EON a company which is allowed to advertise itself as supplying its customers with !00% renewable energy. It can only do this because it has offset a lot of production against carbon credits, legal but not in any true spirit.

The EV industry is no better than any other, the wind turbines are killing wildlife and the mining of the raw materials for the batteries is killing young people..

There is nothing negative about the above is but a short version of the reality

As far as climate change is concerned the whole of the GB was underwater in the not too distant past when humans where but a dream.

First EV service station - skidpan

Around 25p per kWh

Crikey, where do you buy your electricity?

We currently pay a flat rate 14p per kWh (24/7) on a normal EDF dual fuel tariff. Now we have the PHEV Superb been looking at the best options and EDF offer 2 that are specifically for people who need to charge cars off peak. The first offers 5 hours a night (35 hours a week) at 5p per kWh or another which gives 10 hours a night plus all weekend (98 hours a week) at 9p per kWh.

I see extension leads over pavements now with some who can`t get their car in the drive

If all manufacturers use cables the same as Skoda with the same requirements they should not be using extensions, clearly says so in the manual and on the cables themselves.

The cable supplied to charge via a 3 pin socket is as thick as your thumb, the cable to use at a fast(ish) charger is pretty much the same. Considering your average extension is not exactly highly specified It would appear to me that people are heading for trouble.

Extension cables on pavements are BAD:

1, people walking on them could damage the insulation: specifically the internal insulation does not like repeated twisting and stress. Band goes your fuse.

2. they are a danger to pedestrians : if one trips they can and probably will sue the owner - and the owner will be liable in law. Legal and medical bills could be £1000s)

First EV service station - Random

This company should be applauded for open the first EV service station, the first of many to come, one day they'll be common place.

<< The cable supplied to charge via a 3 pin socket is as thick as your thumb, the cable to use at a fast(ish) charger is pretty much the same. >>

If the cable supplying the 3-pin socket is not also as thick as your thumb there may be some overload somewhere - it will have to at least equal a cooker circuit.

First EV service station - mss1tw

FWIW Sammy I think BEV are a white elephant and are not even particularly "eco-friendly". Lithium mining, battery disposal (Which will always be dealt with in some unspecified way at some unspecified time by some unspecified organisation by some unspecified method) and the energy embedded within serviceable cars scrapped due to forced obsolescence or parts availability.

I got bored of being shouted down by zealots (Not here) so now I don't say anything.

I think PHEV have their place, depending on use, and I'm intrigued by the hydrogen storage tech being developed. Extreme E are sponsored by one of these firms.

That said I think that system Citroen(?) developed years ago using compressed air as regenerative breaking was so simple and could have made up for the truly fuel-wasting city driving where you come to a dead stop at every set of lights. Simply turning off the engine (stop.start) or lugging a battery round seem like such second rate measures.

Edit: As of 19:25 (So outside of business hours) the grid is still supplying 44GW and redlines at 55GW...sure a few thousand multi-hundred kW chargers won't make any difference....

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Edited by mss1tw on 09/12/2020 at 19:27

Maybe some of the many derelict or run-down petrol stations will be converted to EVs ? But realistically I guess EV-chargers will be on greenfield sites as often happens

The reason so many petrol stations went to the wall was they could not get the volume of cars through their forecourt to make a profit. The few independents left are also competing with the supermarkets on price and cars visiting.

My question is how are EV stations going to get a decent throughput to make a profit on selling electric. Each charger at the moment can only take 3 cars an hour based on 20mins a charge. This is only 72 cars per day per charger. Even working at full capacity just how many chargers will it need to make a profit, going to need a hell of a lot and competition and private charging will not stand still.

Independant garages make most sales from fuel - low margin as prices are visible and competition obvious. Some higher margin sales from basic groceries, sandwiches etc - but at a guess the typical fuel purchase is £10-50, the typical non-fuel purchae £0-5.

Contrast with a supermarket. The average fuel sale may be similar - but they are happy to almost break even to get customers into the shop where the typical sale may be £20-100. Gross margins in supermarkets are 20-50% depending on the product.

In summary:

• separate and indepedant fuel (EV or ICE) will rely on very high volumes and probably higher fuel prices to make a profit
  • supermarkets will be relatively unconcerned about fuel profitability if they can attract customers into the store

So my money would be on supermarkets radically upgrading their sites - starting where EV ownership is highest locally.

First EV service station - Sofa Spud

So my money would be on supermarkets radically upgrading their sites - starting where EV ownership is highest locally.

I agree that supermarkets are likely to become then main away-from-home charging choice for EV owners but that could be an opportunity for Gridserve to work in partnership with supermarkets in addition to their stand-alone sites.

First EV service station - Bromptonaut

Edit: As of 19:25 (So outside of business hours) the grid is still supplying 44GW and redlines at 55GW...sure a few thousand multi-hundred kW chargers won't make any difference....

www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

Looking at the figures for yesterday the peak was about 46GW @ 18:00 and while it was dropping after that the fallback is still slow; presumably the nation is cooking dinner.

Overall consumption is falling.

First EV service station - mss1tw

Overall consumption is falling.

Which is fine as long as the majority of car charging happens at night (Which most electric car fans will swear is the case...but I've never seen an empty Supercharger station at 4 - 5pm...)

The National Grid - and by extension the Government - are relying on Smart Meters to control domestic demand. A really good Smart Meter allows cheap recharging on Off Peak tariffs.. 5-6p a KWH at night..

Our Mark 1 Smart Meter is as much use as a chocolate kettle.

<< The cable supplied to charge via a 3 pin socket is as thick as your thumb, the cable to use at a fast(ish) charger is pretty much the same. >>

If the cable supplying the 3-pin socket is not also as thick as your thumb there may be some overload somewhere - it will have to at least equal a cooker circuit

I have no idea why the cable is so thick but since it has a normal 3 pin plug on the end and is intended for home charging there will be no need to use ultra thick cable to a normal 3 pin outlet. In reality it would probably be near impossible to terminate 10mm cooker cable into a standard 3 pin outlet and probably against iee regs. Like most modern properties our sockets are on a ring main with a 32 amp breaker and the board is protected by an RCD device thus its well up to the job of slowly charging the Skoda.

Its possible the cable is so thick to prevent damage should a numptie drive over the cable regularly if that is the only way to direct the cable.

All I was saying is Skoda make it perfectly clear that you should not use an extension and considering even the highest spec extension only uses 1.5mm flex I can understand why.

<< It's possible the cable is so thick to prevent damage should a numptie drive over the cable regularly if that is the only way to direct the cable. >>

If your gadget is intended for use in a standard 3-pin outlet it will only be able to trickle-charge, so you are probably right that the cable is armoured in some way. What is the fuse rating in the plug ?

Although the instructions forbid the use of extension leads, I bet some people will use them simply because of where the car is parked. If that extension is coiled some heat could be generated ....

If your gadget is intended for use in a standard 3-pin outlet it will only be able to trickle-charge, so you are probably right that the cable is armoured in some way. What is the fuse rating in the plug ?

The fuse in the plug is 10A.

Takes about 5.75 hours from 0 - 100% using the 3 pin plug. The battery is 13kWh.

Info says 3 hours at a charging station but even then the car is still charging at a lower rate than a full electric.

<< The fuse in the plug is 10A. Takes about 5.75 hours from 0 - 100% using the 3 pin plug. The battery is 13kWh. >>

That's interesting, I can't remember any domestic appliance using other than 3, 5 or 13 amp fuses. So this charger is less greedy than a normal kettle.

<< The fuse in the plug is 10A. Takes about 5.75 hours from 0 - 100% using the 3 pin plug. The battery is 13kWh. >>

That's interesting, I can't remember any domestic appliance using other than 3, 5 or 13 amp fuses. So this charger is less greedy than a normal kettle.

The charger may have a different value fuse!

First EV service station - jeeringtowser

Heron were one of the first self-service petrol station chains that I remember. Run by Gerald Ronson.

Fuses were originally mainly to protect the cabling, not the user or appliance.

A fatal current is 0.1 - 0.2 amps. So a 13 amp fuse (or even 3 amp) will protect no one.

A short circuit caused by an appliance failure should blow the fuse before the cable melts or ignites. The fuse used in the standard UK plug should reflect the capacity of the cable to the appliance, although most simply insert a 13 amp and assume it is OK.

It is probably of more academic importance these days than previously as residual current devices are usually incorporated in the distribution board.

For an EV I suspect cable size relates to the security of connection - there will always be a wire trailing from the wall socket to the car - a potential trip hazard however short..

First EV service station - dan86

For an EV I suspect cable size relates to the security of connection - there will always be a wire trailing from the wall socket to the car - a potential trip hazard however short..

On Thursday morning I nearly tripped over a extension lead connected to a tesla in the street. The cabel was draped from a 1st floor flat and a cross the pavement. It was dark at the time. This will become more and more of a reality. If someone with vision impairment was to have been walking along there they very well could of tripped and injured themselves. If someone does trip and suffer injury who would be liable? I'm guessing the property owner and could the injured person sue?

First EV service station - kiss (keep it simple)

Its likely the injured person could sue. After all they have the reg. number of the car. I was in the TV business and we were aware of the "professional tripper" when filming outside. We had to keep our cables very tidy. Could be a nice little earner.....

<< If someone with vision impairment was to have been walking along there they very well could have tripped and injured themselves. If someone does trip and suffer injury who would be liable? I'm guessing the property owner and could the injured person sue? >>

Tricky question - first point may be that anyone following a public highway has to look where he/she goes. Second question is about how unexpected or invisible an obstacle is. What about an overhanging branch which a home owner has failed to trim ? Raised flags are the fault of the council of course, so that's easy. Perhaps any trailing cable should be taped down with dayglo-yellow tape ?

<< If someone with vision impairment was to have been walking along there they very well could have tripped and injured themselves. If someone does trip and suffer injury who would be liable? I'm guessing the property owner and could the injured person sue? >>

Tricky question - first point may be that anyone following a public highway has to look where he/she goes. Second question is about how unexpected or invisible an obstacle is. What about an overhanging branch which a home owner has failed to trim ? Raised flags are the fault of the council of course, so that's easy. Perhaps any trailing cable should be taped down with dayglo-yellow tape ?

A pedestrian is more likely to trip on the path than by a trailing cable, you can always get a cable tidy to put the cable in to walk across, especially if they can afford a Tesla! -mind you- from the way some park I doubt they are concerned the cable is trip hazard?

Never seen a 10A fuse until this week and now I have seen 2.

Had to use my extension lamp this week and before I started I noticed the plug was damaged. Got a load that have been cut off dead appliances so simply fitted one and decided to fit a 3 amp fuse, its only a 10W energy saver bulb so why have a bigger one, old plug had a 5A. This was the last 3A fuse we had so when at Tesco we got a packet of 4 assorted fuses, 1 10A, 2 5A, 1 3A. As I said I had never seen a 10A before and had no idea what it would be used in, now I know. Never too old to learn.

Guess 10A fuses are like buses.

Edited by skidpan on 13/12/2020 at 10:13

A pedestrian is more likely to trip on the path than by a trailing cable, you can always get a cable tidy to put the cable in to walk across, especially if they can afford a Tesla! -mind you- from the way some park I doubt they are concerned the cable is trip hazard?

The council estate this car was parked on I doubt they can actually afford the Tesla. I'd rather spend my money on a nicer house but some people are all about image. I know the estate well as I do a lot of work in the area and its not a place many would chose to live unless you had a lot of customers in the area if you know what I mean.

I'd rather spend my money on a nicer house but some people are all about image. I know the estate well as I do a lot of work in the area and its not a place many would chose to live unless you had a lot of customers in the area if you know what I mean.

About 200 yards from where we used to live was a long terraced row quaintly called "Jubilee Terrace", that was Victoria's Jubilee. There were worse area's in town but at best they would be selling for about £80,000 (today). One of the houses had a new Maserati GT parked outside that was definitely worth more than the property.

I'd rather spend my money on a nicer house but some people are all about image. I know the estate well as I do a lot of work in the area and its not a place many would chose to live unless you had a lot of customers in the area if you know what I mean.

About 200 yards from where we used to live was a long terraced row quaintly called "Jubilee Terrace", that was Victoria's Jubilee. There were worse area's in town but at best they would be selling for about £80,000 (today). One of the houses had a new Maserati GT parked outside that was definitely worth more than the property.

I work in some very deprived areas and often see brand new BMW Mercedes jaguar landrover ect cars parked outside houses that you couldn't pay me to live in and I think to my self I'd much rather have an ordinary car that does the job and live in a nicer area but I guess some people like to portray an image of themselves that they're far wealthier than they really are

Can't help but think this has something to do with illicit substances.

Live close to your customer base - makes marketing and distribution much simpler. Drive a flash motor to clearly demonstrate you are in control.

First EV service station - RT

Live close to your customer base - makes marketing and distribution much simpler. Drive a flash motor to clearly demonstrate you are in control.

Sometimes people, like me, choose an expensive motor rather than new bathrooms or kitchens - it's not demonstrating anything, just that people are different.

Sometimes people, like me, choose an expensive motor rather than new bathrooms or kitchens - it's not demonstrating anything, just that people are different.

That maybe but I doubt you live on an estate where burglary and violent crime is rife theirs a difference between not having a new kitchen ect and living in what feels like a third world country

That maybe but I doubt you live on an estate where burglary and violent crime is rife theirs a difference between not having a new kitchen ect and living in what feels like a third world country

Certain parts of London have been like it for years, doubt it will change anytime soon unless the Government gets into it....doubtful?

Monday evening last I was watching a new edition of Police Stop Idiot and you never realise what happens locally.

An armed gang raised a shop in a nearby town and then carried out an armed raid on the shop at the bottom of our road. CCTV led the plod to the suspects and they carried out a dawn raid on a nearby property to capture the last one, he was already out on licence.

They got between 3 and 16 years for their evenings fun.

Never heard anything about it or saw anything in the press.

Its so normal now it does not make the news.

Certain parts of London have been like it for years, doubt it will change anytime soon unless the Government gets into it....doubtful?

I agree with you parts of London have been like it for some time. You may know my local area bolt its Elmstead woods in Chiselhurst people like to say its Kent just like orpington but it's part of a London Borough. I work for a neighbouring Borough with many rough estates that you just wouldn't entertain living on if you could afford not to unless like I said earlier you had many customers in the area. Don't think I'm being a snob either as I've had to work hard all my adult life to achieve what I have often working 12+ hour days 7 days a week. Im Originally from Deptford (before it started its gentrification) and grew on a few different council estates and that's what has motivated me to not live in those sort of areas. So I'd rather have a car that does its job but not cost the earth and live in a nicer area than have a flash Mercedes etc and live in a nicer part of town.

First EV service station - _

. So I'd rather have a car that does its job but not cost the earth and live in a nicer area than have a flash Mercedes etc and live in a nicer part of town.

Ditto!

Alsoworked hard, have a modest house in a nice area, a flat too, and swmbo has her flat still, with a sister living in it.

We often get told.... You can afford a Merc e or s class or a jaguar or a LR product.

No thanks, prefer to be anonymous, very anonymous.

IT'S SAFER too!.

. So I'd rather have a car that does its job but not cost the earth and live in a nicer area than have a flash Mercedes etc and live in a nicer part of town.

Ditto!

Alsoworked hard, have a modest house in a nice area, a flat too, and swmbo has her flat still, with a sister living in it.

We often get told.... You can afford a Merc e or s class or a jaguar or a LR product.

IT'S SAFER too!.

I agree with you on that why stand out and gather unwanted attention

Ditto!

IT'S SAFER too!.

I agree with you on that why stand out and gather unwanted attention

I agree as well, I know your area well too, go through there everyday to take Daughter to work as public transport is terrible and always full. I just wish a mini roundabout bottom of the hill from Station had the garden fence moved back as no one sees you coming from logs hill (or don`t want to?)

I agree as well, I know your area well too, go through there everyday to take Daughter to work as public transport is terrible and always full. I just wish a mini roundabout bottom of the hill from Station had the garden fence moved back as no one sees you coming from logs hill (or don`t want to?)

You're not alone in thinking that it needs a redesign along with the one at the top as I've seen plenty of near misses and a few accidents at those roundabouts.

You're not alone in thinking that it needs a redesign along with the one at the top as I've seen plenty of near misses and a few accidents at those roundabouts.

That bottom one was the one I mentioned in a post some time ago where the auto brakes come on before I could apply them, if it wasn`t for that I would have been another crash victim, and people moan about auto brakes?

Ps wasn`t there talk of charging points being put in other side of roundabout? I heard council was considering installing some?...though it might have just been a rumour..

That bottom one was the one I mentioned in a post some time ago where the auto brakes come on before I could apply them, if it wasn`t for that I would have been another crash victim, and people moan about auto brakes?

Ps wasn`t there talk of charging points being put in other side of roundabout? I heard council was considering installing some?...though it might have just been a rumour..

I've not had to use the auto breaks yet I've had the warning but not had them active but its a good job you had them. I've not heard anything about charging points but for EV drivers they could be a welcome installation.

I've not had to use the auto breaks yet I've had the warning but not had them active

You get the warning after they apply in the Civic, and they apply so hard you can feel the ABS when you put your foot on the brake pedal its that quick in applying.

There are a lot of Tesla`s around your way and a couple of Leaf`s, I noticed, but they don`t half drive slow, if anyone is going to hold you up they will and no way to pass them almost as bad as the Prius drivers lol

I've not had to use the auto breaks yet I've had the warning but not had them active

You get the warning after they apply in the Civic, and they apply so hard you can feel the ABS when you put your foot on the brake pedal its that quick in applying.

There are a lot of Tesla`s around your way and a couple of Leaf`s, I noticed, but they don`t half drive slow, if anyone is going to hold you up they will and no way to pass them almost as bad as the Prius driver lol

Whenever I see a Prius I look to see if it has a TFL PCL disc in the window and then give it a wide berth as it can only mean it's an Uber driver and they're driving is shocking.

First EV service station - Avant

I agree in principle, although one can make an exception for Mercedes estates which are often bought to do a job of work and do it well. The saloons tend to be more of corporate status symbols (corporate in every sense of the word).

I know that one of our occasional contributors, who is a sales director doing (in normal times) 40,000 miles a year, is on his second E-class estate and can't think of anything else that can do the job in a more comfortable, reliable and relaxing way. His is also an example of a situation where there's still a strong case for diesel.

I'd be fairly confident that he wouldn't consider anything made by JLR.

I agree in principle, although one can make an exception for Mercedes estates which are often bought to do a job of work and do it well. The saloons tend to be more of corporate status symbols (corporate in every sense of the word).

I know that one of our occasional contributors, who is a sales director doing (in normal times) 40,000 miles a year, is on his second E-class estate and can't think of anything else that can do the job in a more comfortable, reliable and relaxing way. His is also an example of a situation where there's still a strong case for diesel.

I'd be fairly confident that he wouldn't consider anything made by JLR.

There still is and will be for some time. Our work vehicles do up to 14 hours a day on the road being double shifted and diesel is the only option right now. We did have one of our older vehicles converted to electric but it couldn't do a full day on a single charge and had other issues. I'm sure in a few years time the technology will be there. We're in the process of tendering for 27 new full size RCVs and 3 small 12 tone RCVs, electric has been looked at but at the moment is to expensive and can't currently meet the demands required of our vehicles.

<< I agree with you on that why stand out and gather unwanted attention >>

A long time ago that was an argument against installing a burglar alarm. After a few years people had stopped taking any notice when one went off.