Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - Andrew Duffy

Hi folks,

The mechanism in the ignition barrel failed, causing the key to be stuck in the 'start' position. As a result the starter motor was engaged during running and has burned out, plus a fusible link somewhere has busted.

The main question is this: is the failed part of the ignition in the mechanical portion or the electrical portion? I cant tell if it's the switch that springs the key back to position II or the part the key is inserted into.

Thanks.

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - elekie&a/c doctor
The spring return is in the switch part of the ignition lock.

In a situation where you had to be 100% right for your answer to be useful, you were 100% wrong. I ordered a new switch and it made no difference because the return spring is in the barrel itself - the mechanical section.

I'm going to suggest that you don't bother answering a simple question if you don't know the answer to it, considering that's the whole point of these forums.

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - bathtub tom

I'm going to suggest that you don't bother answering a simple question if you don't know the answer to it, considering that's the whole point of these forums.

As elekie&a/c doctor has contributed enormously to technical queries on this forum, I for one will listen to everything he has to say.

On the other hand, I've NEVER had any useful advice from you!

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - John F

Were there lots of other keys hanging on the fob? I have read that this can cause ignition barrels to fail.

I don't give advice unless I'm 100% sure and cars are not my area of expertise hence why I'm here.

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - Metropolis.
Wow, how ungrateful. Eleckie is correct 99% of the time and gives advice at no charge to you or anyone else. Assumably in his free time as well. Even the experts make mistakes, and that’s in real life never mind a forum where we can’t even see the thing! Unbelievable.
Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - paul 1963
Wow, how ungrateful. Eleckie is correct 99% of the time and gives advice at no charge to you or anyone else. Assumably in his free time as well. Even the experts make mistakes, and that’s in real life never mind a forum where we can’t even see the thing! Unbelievable.

Totally agree! I've never met him but he's a b***** helpful bloke.

Edited by paul 1963 on 15/12/2020 at 09:06

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - Andrew-T
Wow, how ungrateful. Eleckie is correct 99% of the time and gives advice at no charge to you or anyone else.

Quite. But to be fair, all Elekie had to do was insert the word 'usually' to cover himself against what may have been an unfamiliar device. He did sound rather certain :-)

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - galileo
Wow, how ungrateful. Eleckie is correct 99% of the time and gives advice at no charge to you or anyone else.

Quite. But to be fair, all Elekie had to do was insert the word 'usually' to cover himself against what may have been an unfamiliar device. He did sound rather certain :-)

I too would trust elekie's advice based on his 99% + track record.

There is always a possibility that some examples of a model deviated from standard, I had Peugeots with different brands of front brake calipers on left and right, not apparently unusual at the time.

They gave an answer that was absolutely certain - there was no caveat at all - and no one else replied. Normally I would be more cautious and check multiple sources first, but I didn't double-check in this case because the answer was unequivocal. Based on multiple other accounts that this person is usually correct, I'm guessing other people wouldn't double-check either, therefore.

Why should a person who is usually 99% right be defended for being 100% wrong in one situation with one person? Either you're right or you're wrong. A fake £20 note in a stack of 99 genuine notes is no less fake. I have no experience of Eleckie prior to my question so I don't see how that's relevant.

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - skidpan

This is a Forum on which the advice is FREE.

A garage is an alternative place to visit for advice but normally they want to charge you for diagnosing the issue and then to fix it.

After paying the garage there is no 100% guarantee that they will get it right and they will cover themselves with weaselly words to ensure they get paid. If they didn't they would go bust.

Perhaps you should visit the Renault Forum next time.

Perhaps you should visit the Renault Forum next time.....

.....and although not strictly relevant, you still haven't answered my question.

.....and although not strictly relevant, you still haven't answered my question.

And what is that supposed to mean. The last post was my first in this thread thus you have not asked me a question.

Me thinks you have confused me with someone else.

(Edit: I'm fairly sure that John was addressing the OP.)

Edited by Avant on 07/01/2021 at 12:04

And what is that supposed to mean. The last post was my first in this thread thus you have not asked me a question.

Me thinks you have confused me with someone else.

Then why did JohnF quote my post. If was referring to a post form the OP quote that.

How hard can it be?

Indeed so.

Then why did JohnF quote my post.

I was just succinctly continuing from where you left off.....apologies for ambiguity, thought it was clear enough. And the OP still hasn't answered my question!

Scenic 2002 - Ignition Barrel Failure - Avant

Andrew - you're new to this forum, and you're very welcome: but please keep all your posts polite.