Learning to Drive - studentman38

Would I be allowed to learn to drive in my stepdads mobility car for him to teach me so I can practice. I am trying to get lessons but no where in my local area will take me at least till April

Bump, does anyone know

Can someone answer, I'm a bit stuck here as no instructors can take me till at least April but I really want to drive

Learning to Drive - dan86

Can someone answer, I'm a bit stuck here as no instructors can take me till at least April but I really want to drive

Why not phone mobility and ask them?

But its not my car its my stepdads car, he is the one that owns and drives it

Learning to Drive - badbusdriver

Would I be allowed to learn to drive in my stepdads mobility car for him to teach me so I can practice. I am trying to get lessons but no where in my local area will take me at last till April

No (Sam, I assume?), you can't. If you already had a license, you could drive it, assuming there are no related age restrictions (some Motability cars can be driven by 17 year olds, some you need to be older), and assuming he had you down as the named driver.

Edited by badbusdriver on 03/12/2020 at 21:02

Would I be allowed to learn to drive in my stepdads mobility car for him to teach me so I can practice. I am trying to get lessons but no where in my local area will take me at last till April

No (Sam, I assume?), you can't. If you already had a license, you could drive it, assuming there are no related age restrictions (some Motability cars can be driven by 17 year olds, some you need to be older), and assuming he had you down as the named driver.

I thought it had a hint of Sam the football in it

Yes its me ok. I really want to learn to drive. I have no idea how to even start if no people can take me till April. I feel this is so unfair

So how on earth can I learn to drive. This is what I am getting so fed up about. All the driving instructors in my local area are fully booked until at least April. And all for a bit of flu! Its so annoying that I can't do that. Its been a crap few months, being diagnosed with cancer and even finding out my stepsister has now got a house with her boyfriend

Edited by studentman38 on 03/12/2020 at 21:28

Any body got any more advice what I can do?

Learning to Drive - Dag Hammar

I cannot help thinking the above question is an open invitation for some rather witty comments. Who’s going first ?

Edited by Dag Hammar on 03/12/2020 at 22:59

Learning to Drive - John Boy

I cannot help thinking the above question is an open invitation for some rather witty comments. Who’s going first ?

I think Concrete has already posted the polite version on 29th November in this topic:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/137301/the-last-po...t-

Learning to Drive - catsdad

Assuming it is a Motability car then it can only be used by, or for the benefit of, the person leasing the car. I doubt that arguments that you will do his shopping etc once you have passed will be accepted as there is no benefit to him while he is teaching you to drive.

You certainly couldn’t use it for your personal purposes once you had passed.

Learning to Drive - paul 1963

Merry Christmas Sam!

Learning to Drive - Bromptonaut

Keep searching instructors or find another relative.

Otherwise, if you start posting aggressively again, Arkle v Pressdram.

Learning to Drive - FP

A dreadful sense of déjà vu descends.

We've been here before - several times, in fact. The OP has mental health issues, has posted here repeatedly in the same vein and has failed to listen to any well-meant advice, to the frustration and annoyance of long-suffering members of the forum.

Encouraging and/or provoking the OP is not kind. I strongly suggest no-one adds anything to this thread, for the sake of everyone's sanity. Otherwise it will descend into unpleasantness - guaranteed.

Um mate, I have had b***** cancer this year (found out in August) I just want to get my life on track. There is so much I have missed this year. And to find out I can't start driving until at least April because if a flu that only kills 1% of people is wrong!

Learning to Drive - RT

Um mate, I have had b***** cancer this year (found out in August) I just want to get my life on track. There is so much I have missed this year. And to find out I can't start driving until at least April because if a flu that only kills 1% of people is wrong!

I had testicular cancer back in 1985, when the treatment regime was brutal - I hope you get through your cancer ok.

Fortunately, most people in the UK have a more realistic view of Covid-19 than you seem to..

Yes that is what I was diagnosed with as well

Here we go again blaming everyone and everything else for things not going how you want. Life isn't fare and deals you a bum hand from time to time. You have to learn to deal with. If you have to wait until April to start learning to drive you have to wait thats life.

Yes but its not life as its being controlled what the government are doing. I mean honestly, we have a vaccine now and they are still harping on about a third lockdown which will mean that will push driving lessons even further down. We have to get back to normal.

Edited by Avant on 04/12/2020 at 23:28

I don't know how to edit and delete that as that was out of order what I said there

(Done.)

Edited by Avant on 04/12/2020 at 23:29

Yes but its not life as its being controlled what the government are doing. I mean honestly, we have a vaccine now and they are still harping on about a third lockdown which will mean that will push driving lessons even further down. We have to get back to normal. Young people like myself are done saving old people, let them rot in hell for all I care. My life is being destroyed by people who are burdens to society

So old people and the disabled have no right to a life? You must me a very charming individual in person.

Of course they do. I take back what I said there. I was just stressed and got a bit angry thats all. I just want to be able to drive and feel a bit more free in life like my stepsiblings are able to do. They have got what they want but I don't

Learning to Drive - Avant

Agreed, FP. I don't want to stifle any sensible suggestions, but if there is any unpleasantness, I won't hesitate to close the thread, as I think Sam has already had all the advice we are able to give him.

Problem is I have contacted all the driving instructors in my area and none can take me on till at least March and no I haven't got another relative who can teach me

Learning to Drive - Maxime.

It is the effect of the lockdown...

My daughter cannot get lessons till end of march as they are all booked up and she wants to book a block of 20 lessons.

Lots of us can't do things we want at the moment, but we don't want the 1% to become even 1.1%.

Relax ,,, please...

Ok thats a good idea

Learning to Drive - focussed

Problem is I have contacted all the driving instructors in my area and none can take me on till at least March and no I haven't got another relative who can teach me

Plenty of time for you to get yourself sorted out then.

1 . Get provisional licence organised.

2. Get your eyesight checked - check that you can read a UK number plate from 20 metres in good light.

The instructor should check both of these before letting you into the car.

3. Study the highway code until you know it thoroughly.

4. Buy theory test books/DVD's and train yourself for taking the theory test which you can take before starting practical lessons if you have a provisional licence.

And good luck with the lessons ( from an ex-instructor)

Could you please delete the post I made

So as the other poster said I am just going to probably wait. That is all I can do so there is no point getting angry about it

So I think I am on somebody's waiting list but I have to wait till March which is annoying. I have no way of practicing or anything. Hopefully there won't be another lockdown for the flu otherwise I will go mad

Learning to Drive - RT

Good luck with your lessons.

Prepare yourself for another lockdown - the idea of a free-for-all for 5 days over Christmas means than another lockdown in January/February is inevitable as not enough vulnerable people will have been vaccinated by then.

Learning to Drive - Falkirk Bairn

Thanks Giving Day was 2 weeks ago - 50 million people in the US travelled - it's not a 1 day holiday - schools off for a week+ others off 4/5 days. This boosted infections, already high, all over the US.

Xmas here will have the same affect - our family have decided on minimal contact and NO family dinners etc etc - you might not agree BUT the "vaccine freedom" is only months away for many and too much to risk for a 5 day family meet IMHO.

Learning to Drive - skidpan

Xmas here will have the same affect - our family have decided on minimal contact and NO family dinners etc etc - you might not agree BUT the "vaccine freedom" is only months away for many and too much to risk for a 5 day family meet IMHO.

We have been very careful since March and even during the supposed respite over the summer we did not change our habits very much.

The wifes mother is 93 and has been in almost total self isolation since March since she is not in particularly good health. Over those 9 months she has been for an eye test, her flu jab and to our house to have her hair cut 2 or 3 times. The only people she has been in contact with are her brother who checks every day, my wife who delivers her shopping twice a week, sorts her medications, does her cleaning and washing. She also has a district nurse visit twice a week to dress her leg and I have been twice, once to fit new carpet tiles and then a new blind.

On Tuesday this week the wife collected her to have her hair cut and we both took her home later in the day after giving her lunch. She was struggling to walk since her feet were badly swollen. On Wednesday her brother rang to say walking was not possible so we suggested he ring the doctor who actually sent an ambulance crew who took her to hospital for an X-Ray. No broken bones but kept her overnight to see the physios on Thursday.

Got a call mid afternoon yesterday from the ward, as a matter of routine they had tested her for Covid on Wednesday and the result had come back positive.

They told the wife, her uncle and myself to get tested (we got a test within an hour, the uncle is being sent a test in the post) so now its simply a matter of waiting to see what happens.

Considering all that I think the OP needs to really think about life more before sending any more messages like this:

Of course they do. I take back what I said there. I was just stressed and got a bit angry thats all. I just want to be able to drive and feel a bit more free in life like my stepsiblings are able to do. They have got what they want but I don't

We all need to be a bit patient.

Edited by skidpan on 11/12/2020 at 12:24

The wifes mother is 93 and has been in almost total self isolation since March since she is not in particularly good health. Over those 9 months she has been for an eye test, her flu jab and to our house to have her hair cut 2 or 3 times. The only people she has been in contact with are her brother who checks every day, my wife who delivers her shopping twice a week, sorts her medications, does her cleaning and washing. She also has a district nurse visit twice a week to dress her leg and I have been twice, once to fit new carpet tiles and then a new blind.

On Tuesday this week the wife collected her to have her hair cut and we both took her home later in the day after giving her lunch. She was struggling to walk since her feet were badly swollen. On Wednesday her brother rang to say walking was not possible so we suggested he ring the doctor who actually sent an ambulance crew who took her to hospital for an X-Ray. No broken bones but kept her overnight to see the physios on Thursday.

Got a call mid afternoon yesterday from the ward, as a matter of routine they had tested her for Covid on Wednesday and the result had come back positive.

They told the wife, her uncle and myself to get tested (we got a test within an hour, the uncle is being sent a test in the post) so now its simply a matter of waiting to see what happens.

Hope your Mother In Law gets through that OK skidpad, tough going for a 93 year old. Fingers crossed you, your good lady, and Uncle haven't got it.

Edited by badbusdriver on 11/12/2020 at 13:39

Hope your Mother In Law gets through that OK skidpad, tough going for a 93 year old. Fingers crossed you, your good lady, and Uncle haven't got it.

Sorry, just noticed my computer decided I meant 'skidpad' rather than skidpan.

Learning to Drive - _

Having been through it, I wish your Mum-in-law all the best.

Make sure she eats while in hospital, try to get some snack things she likes delivered to the ward door. protein bars etc small fruit juice packs, if she likes them, and to accept every cuppa that is offered,

I was " only" diagnosed on my 3rd hospital admission, but antibiotics, rehydration, paracetamol and oxygen to support me (those little plastic nasal tubes) did the trick

We have a neighbour 90 who has had it with virtually no ill effects.

It certainly is a strange old bug!

Youngrovergirl is being tested twice a week with the home kits.

She is on the vaccine waiting list...and i am waiting too.

Edited by _ORB_ on 11/12/2020 at 15:34