"But the SL's beauty was more than skin deep - it was packed with technology"

and that's when I stopped reading.

Its the classics page, after all.

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - badbusdriver

On the classics home page. Mercedes SL review

Not really sure what you are saying?. Do you mean you don't consider it a classic due to that?. If so, that surely means you don't consider the Citroen DS a classic for the same reason.

Also, the term 'packed with technology' is very much a relative term, in this case, 'for 1989' meeds to be added. It certainly isn't packed with technology compared to current luxury cars.

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - edlithgow

On the classics home page. Mercedes SL review

Not really sure what you are saying?. Do you mean you don't consider it a classic due to that?. If so, that surely means you don't consider the Citroen DS a classic for the same reason.

Also, the term 'packed with technology' is very much a relative term, in this case, 'for 1989' meeds to be added. It certainly isn't packed with technology compared to current luxury cars.

I just felt (a purely personal reaction) that equating beauty with technology (which is what the journo is doing, and right at the start of the article, before anything else is said about the car) is odd in the context of classic cars.

In fact, come to think on't, its odd in any context, unless geekiness is your only thing.

To me, if I could afford one, the primary benefit and appeal of a classic would be simplicity.

The DS is tricky because its a great looking thing, and its technology gives real and outstanding-for-the-time advantages. (Think Starship Enterprise versus, say, The Golden Hind and you''d be exaggerating, but only a bit)

I don't know enough about the Merc to say if that applies (maybe I should read the article after all) but I know which way I'd bet. .

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - craig-pd130

For a couple of years in the late 2000s, my brother-in-law had one of the limited-edition 500SL Mille Miglia cars which celebrated Moss' win.

Lovely car with real iron-fist-in-velvet-glove performance. But it did suffer niggling problems, including a failed crank position sensor which stranded him a long way from home.

By the mid-90s (when his was built), Mercedes' QC was dropping as the accountants started to overrule the engineers.

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - daveyjp

Lots of tech but a fuel tank with baffles that can become dislodged!

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - John F

Back in the 80s I once considered a 'classic' SL. Under the skin deep beauty it was packed with rust.

Back in the 80s I once considered a 'classic' SL. Under the skin deep beauty it was packed with rust.

The 70s models used to rust very badly, as I recall. MB started using galvanised panels from the mid-80s which made a big difference.

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - _

The 70s models used to rust very badly, as I recall. MB started using galvanised panels from the mid-80s which made a big difference.

EVERYTHING rusted in the 70's. I remember the adverts for galvanised Audis... and anything BL then Rover rusted..as well as the obvious culprits.

EVERYTHING rusted in the 70's. I remember the adverts for galvanised Audis... and anything BL then Rover rusted..as well as the obvious culprits.

Indeed. Halfords etc used to flog a LOT of Plastic Padding and aluminium mesh ...

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - Trilogy.

Not if you've seen a W210.

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - _

A while back I helped a friend do a restoration project on a Mk1 Lotus Esprit.

He was a good mechanic until it came to the bodywork side of things, which is where it got expensive.

The only advice that I give now is. Treat it as a 2nd or 3rd car toy.. Have deep pockets. If you fulfill those two criteria enjoy.

There is a MK2 jaguar a few doors from me and the owner needs new power steering. I have located the parts for him, but he is reluctant to spend £2000 ish on parts, so it hasn't moved now for 4 years. It is a waste of a lovely car, and he "thinks" it is worth a fortune,

Edited by _ORB_ on 02/12/2020 at 19:26

A while back I helped a friend do a restoration project on a Mk1 Lotus Esprit.

He was a good mechanic until it came to the bodywork side of things, which is where it got expensive.

The only advice that I give now is. Treat it as a 2nd or 3rd car toy.. Have deep pockets. If you fulfill those two criteria enjoy.

Oh lord, a friend of mine had a JPS Esprit in the late 80s. He didn't buy wisely, so it wasn't so much a money pit as a money black hole.

If I remember right he had it for 10 months. In that time it lunched a gearbox, needed the 'doughnuts' in the driveshafts replacing, and needed a new radiator too.

The fatal blow was struck when it failed its MOT for chassis corrosion around the front suspension mountings. It was too far gone to weld, so needed a replacement chassis.

Not if you've seen a W210.

Indeed, Mercedes blotted its copybook badly in the mid-90s when the accountants started winning arguments over the engineers, as mentioned earlier.

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - Sofa Spud

Karl Benz's Patent Tricycle of 1885 was packed with technology. It had an engine with a cylinder and a piston, a crankshaft and a flywheel and it even had gears. Compare that to a horse-drawn cart of the time!

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - John F

Karl Benz's Patent Tricycle of 1885 was packed with technology. It had an engine with a cylinder and a piston, a crankshaft and a flywheel and it even had gears. Compare that to a horse-drawn cart of the time!

Siegfried Marcus built the first vehicle which could possibly be called a car. Daimler-Benz rewrote history.

It was rather ugly though, and I bet it was unreliable compared to a horse-drawn cart of the time.

Or a bicycle.

So I wouldn't want/have wanted one

Edited by edlithgow on 04/12/2020 at 01:32

Mercedes SL - Classic Appeal - Avant

On the other hand, in 1888 Karl Benz's heroic wife Bertha did a 65-mile trip in the Motorwagen (and back again a few days later). She had the inestimable advantage of no engine management light to come on, and no touchscreen to give idiotic negative messages.

On the other hand, in 1888 Karl Benz's heroic wife Bertha did a 65-mile trip in the Motorwagen (and back again a few days later).

Tach! Almost a brand new car. Hardly proof of long-term durability.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/12/2020 at 13:26