Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - JCBBFC27

Hello, I've had my car a while now and serviced it when needed, a month ago I changed the oil and the filter, recently noticed I'm getting an oil check light which is never good! I've checked the oil which was fine but then inspected the filter and I think I've found tiny metal particles oh dear. The car has done 112,000 miles so it's getting on abit but from what I've read this is very bad especially after the timing belt was changed 6 months ago, is it time to look for another car or get it looked at? I feel this is gonna be an expensive repair.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - edlithgow

I'd assume an oil check light indicated low oil pressure.

If your oil level is OK this might suggest that the metal in your oil is coming from a failing oil pump.

OTOH low oil pressure could itself cause wear elsewhere, say in the cam journals

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - elekie&a/c doctor

There is no timing belt on these ,but you do have a timing chain. I suspect metal particles from the worn chain and sprockets have remained in the oil . You could try an engine flush to see if that prolongs the life of the engine. Certainly not worth doing any major repairs to the engine on a car this old and high miles.

I'd guess if your oil level is OK then the light indicates low oil pressure.

The metal in your oil could then be from a failing oil pump, but it could also be damage to other components that aren't getting enough oil, such as cam journals or lobes.

I'd probably have a look at the camshaft for visible damage first, then I'd do a blotter spot check on the oil to get an idea of its contamination level, and I'd stick a magnetic recovery tool (I have one that fits) down the dipstick tube and leave it overnight to see how much fuzz and chunks it picks up.

Beyond that I MIGHT consider getting a commercial oil analysis done, but would probably decide not to spend the money.

Then I'd probably get the oil pressure checked. You'll obviously have to run the engine for that, but I wouldn't drive any distance to get it done. Maybe ring around and see if there is a mobile mech who can come to you.

I'd probably buy a gauge and DIY. Everyone should have a hobby, and I can't play the piano..

www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8teB16U0LA

Cost of oil pump repair will depend on design and what, if anything, broke. Mine, for example, is chain driven so it might not cost a lot for me to replace the chain if I could get one, but getting someone else to do it would inevitably be expensive.

If the oil pump is OK, or if you get it fixed, the oil pressure should then give an indication of other damage, which will depend on how long you ran it with low pressure and what oil yoiu were using.

If its not too bad thicker oil (usually a good thing) might buy more time. Since you changed it a month ago, if the oil isn't very contaminated you could add a viscosity improver (assuming you can still get these. I have used Wynn's) rather than changing it again.

This MIGHT, at least temporarily, improve your oil pressure without repairing the pump, if the low pressure is down to general wear rather than actual failure.

OTOH it might finally finish off your oil pump some cold morning.

If DIY isn't an option I'd agree that the prognosis with these symptoms (low oil pressure in particuar) is poor.

Edited by edlithgow on 02/12/2020 at 06:58

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - Andrew-T

I'd probably have a look at the camshaft for visible damage first, then I'd do a blotter spot check on the oil to get an idea of its contamination level, and I'd stick a magnetic recovery tool (I have one that fits) down the dipstick tube and leave it overnight to see how much fuzz and chunks it picks up.

I remember when some drain plugs included a small magnet to do just that, but I think they disappeared many years ago - perhaps to save a few pence, perhaps because engines no longer created swarf while they ran ?

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - RT

I remember when some drain plugs included a small magnet to do just that, but I think they disappeared many years ago - perhaps to save a few pence, perhaps because engines no longer created swarf while they ran ?

They're still fitted on some cars - my Hyundai Santa Fe had that.

I have one, probably an aftermarket fitment by a previous owner. I'm not completely convinced its a particularly useful item, for several related reasons.

(a) The capacity and range is very limited, so its primary purpose and benefit is, I think, diagnostic rather than cleaning as such, BUT you only get that diagnostic information when you do an oil change.

This is too late, and too infrequent, especially on my 6 year OCI. A magnetic dipstick gives you continuous monitoring, yet I've never seen one and had to make my own.

Another patent opportunity blown. I'll never get my yacht

(b) I've seen reports that magnets in turbulent high-flow areas aren't very effective because of wash-off. I'd think the sump is probably a turbulent high flow area.

(c) Arising from that, I'm not sure its a great idea to have magnetised wear debris circulating in your engine. Stuff wiped off the sump plug is magnetised because it looks whiskery on a paperclip.

It may loose much of that magnetism at operating temperature, but it may also get it back as the oil cools, and then stick to steel ready to contribute to the start-up wear.

Does this matter? I dunno. Probably not, but the literature, such as it is, seems to be inconsistent.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - catsdad

My original Minis had magnetic sump plugs. They used to collect a nice beard of iron filings between changes. I thought it was because of the gearbox sitting in the same oil and creating swarf. I don’t recall if the old A series engine was prone to premature wear or not with all this crud. I was too busy holding back rust.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - Andrew-T

My original Minis had magnetic sump plugs. They used to collect a nice beard of iron filings between changes. I thought it was because of the gearbox sitting in the same oil and creating swarf.

I think you're right, the drain plugs I recall were probably on the several Maxis I had, or the Minis the daughters had a bit later. I guess it wasn't easy to find a grade of oil suitable for lubing both an engine and a gearbox. I don't think I ever found filings, just fine sticky grey greasy stuff - whether it arose mainly from the cylinders or the gears I can't guess.

Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 L, 2007 - Metal particles in oil filter - RT

My original Minis had magnetic sump plugs. They used to collect a nice beard of iron filings between changes. I thought it was because of the gearbox sitting in the same oil and creating swarf.

I think you're right, the drain plugs I recall were probably on the several Maxis I had, or the Minis the daughters had a bit later. I guess it wasn't easy to find a grade of oil suitable for lubing both an engine and a gearbox. I don't think I ever found filings, just fine sticky grey greasy stuff - whether it arose mainly from the cylinders or the gears I can't guess.

If engineers had designed a machine to destroy the lubricating properties of engine oil, it would be a Mini gearbox - the thrashing in skew gears is more than engine oil can take - that's why normal gearbox oil is a very different specification.

Whilst the gearbox in the sump was great for space utilisation it was pathetic for anything else.

If engineers had designed a machine to destroy the lubricating properties of engine oil, it would be a Mini gearbox -

Shared sump motorcycle.

This could make a dedicated motorcycle oil a good (if rather expensive) fit for a classic Mini.

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that the 20W50 was specifically introduced to meet the Mini;s shared-sump requirements.

Whether or not that's true, these days a commercial diesel-targeted 15W40 might be a better and more available choice.

Edited by edlithgow on 04/12/2020 at 01:09