Vauxhall Insignia 2011 - Rear brake pads and disks - Johngalaxy

Hi,

The questions I have are, as my car has an electric handbrake do i have to do anything different from having a manual handbrake?

Do I release the electric handbrake and wind back the piston as normal?

Is it the same process with all insignias regardless of the year?

Thanks for any help much appreciated.

Vauxhall Insignia 2011 - Rear brake pads and disks - John F

If it's anything like my Audi you will either have to reset the electrical gear's position via a computer or laboriously ratchet the innards back as per u-tube advice. You could do some expensive damage if you don't do it right. But do they really need attention? At 15yrs old and over 70,000 miles there is still a good bit of wear left on my original disc and pads, and with my present 3,000 miles a year I'm in no hurry to do it!

Vauxhall Insignia 2011 - Rear brake pads and disks - elekie&a/c doctor
The epb on these is one motor pulling on cables . So the procedure is as normal. Wind back pistons and reset system once pads are fitted.

Thanks for the info. Excuse my lack of knowledge.

Does epb stand for electric parking brake and when i rewind the pistons back into the callipers is one caliper turned clockwise and the other caliper turned anti clockwise?

Thanks again

Vauxhall Insignia 2011 - Rear brake pads and disks - Chris M

"Excuse my lack of knowledge."

In which case, a Haynes manual may prove useful. Available from £12.49 on a certain auction website.

Vauxhall Insignia 2011 - Rear brake pads and disks - John F

"Excuse my lack of knowledge."

In which case, a Haynes manual may prove useful. Available from £12.49 on a certain auction website.

True, but this is supposed to be a helpful site.

To the OP, epb does indeed stand for electric parking brake. The caliper wind-back tool only works clockwise. If you haven't got one, here is a helpful link....

www.google.com/search?q=winding+back+brake+caliper...3

Vauxhall Insignia 2011 - Rear brake pads and disks - Chris M

Indeed it is John F, but I can't remember a single car we have owned where I haven't bought a Haynes manual (current Astra excepted as there isn't one yet).

From what elekie says, the Insignia is more straightforward than an A8, but that doesn't mean there's not a right and a wrong way to do the job. For a start, the OP will require the correct wind back tool and perhaps some other tool he doesn't possess. A quick read through the relevant chapter flags these things up before getting started.

Thanks for the help much appreciated.

I have replaced the brake pads and disks. The problem i have now is the brake pedal travels to the floor. If I pump the pedal a few times it gets harder towards the top but if I wait say 15 seconds and press the pedal it goes to the floor. The brake does stop the car but I don't trust it something not right. What could be the problem?

Thanks