ANY - EV home start - paul 1963

Saw a van this morning advertising EV home start, presumably for those that forget to charge?

Guess it must be equipped with a large generator? never knew such a service existed.

ANY - EV home start - kiss (keep it simple)

Probably a man with an extension lead. "Can you pop this through the window guv and plug it in?"

ANY - EV home start - focussed

Beyond parody.

www.pinterest.com/pin/453245149990242210/

And to extend the range of your EV: to avoid having to go looking for a diesel generator:-

electrek.co/2020/02/19/french-startup-proposes-bat.../

ANY - EV home start - craig-pd130

Beyond parody.

And to extend the range of your EV: to avoid having to go looking for a diesel generator:-

Oh dear, the second link made me snort coffee out of my nose :-D

If only someone would invent the 'Mr Fusion Home Reactor' as seen at the end of Back to the Future, EV owners could have 1.21 gigawatts from an old beer can and a banana skin ....

ANY - EV home start - bathtub tom

A problem with the 'trailer battery' could be how many EVs have an approved tow-bar?

ANY - EV home start - Ian_SW

Charging a Leaf from a 22kVA mobile diesel generator must be a bit of a joke, though it is a good demonstration of why the AA have to recover stranded EVs with a flat battery rather than charge at the roadside.

The battery trailer may look a bit silly, bit as a concept it's a really good idea. Most cars travel less than 100 miles most days. All EVs can do that easily, but they can't do the longer trips which most people only do occasionally. Why pay for and lug around an extra few hundred kg of batteries all year for those occasional trips. Far better to attach it to the car only when it is needed. If this can be done on a rental basis so you don't pay the capital cost and they are interchangeable between different car types even better.

The French are far more into small trailers than we are. Over here we buy a big car with a large boot to carry stuff a few times a year on holiday and then spend most of the time driving it around 1 up in town with nothing in the boot. The French would instead buy a Clio and a small luggage trailer to use on those occasional trips when more space is required.. A far better option, and cheaper too.

ANY - EV home start - JonestHon

You may enjoy this www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVAoTrmCv6c

ANY - EV home start - badbusdriver
Most cars travel less than 100 miles most days. All EVs can do that easily,

No they can't. The Honda E might manage 100 miles in ideal circumstances, but otherwise it won't. The Mini Electric would also struggle, certainly in winter, and the new Mazda MX-30 has a similarly short range as the Honda.

ANY - EV home start - Avant

No doubt cars like the Mini Electric and Honda E will sell well, but only to people who have an ICE car as well. And if you can afford to splash out the best part of £30,000 on a city car, you almost certainly can afford another car as well.

Mat Watson of Carwow has now done two 'we drove these EVs till they died' videos on Youtube to see what the ultimate range of various EVs is (I think it's six cars in each video).

First one was won by the Tesla Model 3 (270 miles) with the Kia E-Niro (255 miles) a close second.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZH7V2tU3iFc

Latest one - smaller EVs, won easily by the Renault Zoe (229 miles) followed by the Vauxhall Corsa E (174 miles). The Honda E did 113 miles but the Mini exceeded its claimed range with 154 miles.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2ArceiJd0

Edited by Avant on 28/11/2020 at 00:31

ANY - EV home start - movilogo

Or just get petrol/diese (or even hybrid) car and problem solved B-)

Electric may be the future, but let us enjoy the present first.

ANY - EV home start - badbusdriver

Electric may be the future, but let us enjoy the present first.

Absolutely, and lets face it, there is plenty to enjoy about the present........................

ANY - EV home start - edlithgow

Beyond parody.

Oh dear, the second link made me snort coffee out of my nose :-D

Didn't strike me as particularly risible.

I was slightly irritated by this bit, though not enough to waste any coffee.

"Think of it as a low-cost alternative to battery swapping. Chinese EV companies are still trying to make that work, but the idea is dead in other markets."

Ain't dead here in Taiwan. Gogoro battery swapping stations for electric scooters are widely deployed, and the scooters are a large and growing proportion of the huge Taiwan fleet.

Oh and

"EV drivers would pull up to a station, autonomously hook the trailer to the car....."

What does that autonomously mean, and how would you hook up a trailer non-autonomously?

Irritated now. Need another coffee.

Edited by edlithgow on 30/11/2020 at 01:27