Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - NAthan smith
My front washers appear blocked. Checked for leaks etc could see anything. BMW forum suggests Milton baby fluid to clear and flush out any blockages? Is this a good/safe idea??
Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Bromptonaut
My front washers appear blocked. Checked for leaks etc could see anything. BMW forum suggests Milton baby fluid to clear and flush out any blockages? Is this a good/safe idea??

Milton is effectively bleach. While my kids were tiny I ruined several items of clothing. Eventually we moved to a steam steriliser. After that I just got the odd scald.....

In my experience you need to first sort out what's causing the problem.

If it's just gunk in the jets then a fine needle should clear them.

Is the washer bottle clean and unobstructed?

If there's algae or gunk that looks like paper tissue in suspension then you need to drain it. If you cannot remove the bottle then syphon it out, refill and flush again. Having done that you need to check the pipes working forward from the pump. If needs be separate them and pump clean water through.

If there's a need to kill off algae or other gunk then if you're careful Milton or bog standard bleach in a well diluted solution will do. Stuff sold in homebrew shops for sterilising brew kegs is better though.

Either way the gunk will probably hide somewhere and need re treating several times.

Took us three goes at least to stop stuff that looked like water soaked bog roll from populating the washer tank of the late Mother in Law's Astra.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 25/11/2020 at 13:59

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Andrew-T

Washer systems need to be emptied, flushed and refilled every year or two, to remove the fluffy white crud which grows in the reservoir. Bugs like to eat the screenwash/ antifreeze which garages like to charge you for. Not only do the jets get blocked, the stuff leaves smears on the screen after wiping. Probably an idea to use plain water with a bit of Fairy until frost becomes a worry.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - RT

Washer systems need to be emptied, flushed and refilled every year or two, to remove the fluffy white crud which grows in the reservoir. Bugs like to eat the screenwash/ antifreeze which garages like to charge you for. Not only do the jets get blocked, the stuff leaves smears on the screen after wiping. Probably an idea to use plain water with a bit of Fairy until frost becomes a worry.

Good screenwash additive deals with all that, avoiding the need for regular cleaning

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Gibbo_Wirral

Blockages might be due to scale in the pipes depending on the water in your region.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - paul 1963

I agree with RT, I use Autoglym screen wash concentrate, it's got a biocide added.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Manatee

Good screenwash additive deals with all that, avoiding the need for regular cleaning

I assume that's the case as I haven't suffered from it in the last 30 years. Makes me wonder what people put in!

I've been using whatever Costco sells, diluted 4:1 with water for as long as I can remember. Used to be Holts I think, and it's been Prestone for a while now.

If you just put water in, you'll get stagnant water and whatever goes with it.

Milton is a good thing for caravan water systems when you might actually be ingesting what comes through the pipes.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - RT

I assume that's the case as I haven't suffered from it in the last 30 years. Makes me wonder what people put in!

I've been using whatever Costco sells, diluted 4:1 with water for as long as I can remember. Used to be Holts I think, and it's been Prestone for a while now.

If you just put water in, you'll get stagnant water and whatever goes with it.

Milton is a good thing for caravan water systems when you might actually be ingesting what comes through the pipes.

I've only suffered it once - my Astra had something sticky used in the washers when it went for service, I had to flush it out.

I use Prestone now.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - _

I flushed ot the screenwash bottle on the Epica years ago when it was blocked/full of crud simply by putting a hosepipe in and letting it overflow till clear, Then filled up wiyh weak bleach solution, left overnight and the rinsed again till clear.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Engineer Andy

Didn't someone previously recommend using cheap vokda?

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - alan1302

Be cheaper to buy alcohol

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - concrete

Like others this is a problem I have not encountered in all my years (50 or so) of car ownership. I always top us the washer reservoir with a proprietary brand of screen wash diluted according to the season. Never had any 'gunk' in the system. But I suppose doing a fair mileage I used the contents regularly. Certainly wouldn't use Milton fluid or similar, too aggressive for some materials and possibly the paintwork. Cleanliness and using the contents before topping up with a good brand product seems to be the key.

Cheers Concrete

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Engineer Andy

Be cheaper to buy alcohol

Hence the 'cheap' prefix. Besides, last time I looked I think it was alcohol. :-)

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Avant

The best screenwash stuff I've found is the one VAG dealers sell. It prevents freezing, smearing anf formation of gunk, and surprisingly (given the source) isn't much more expensive than what you;d get at Halfords.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - Smileyman

I would very strongly advise against using plain water in the screen wash system. This nothing to do with gunk, or frost but something much more harmful. The same matter as people have been told to flush water systems in buildings that are not being used - toilets, sinks, showers etc. Same applies to hotel showers if the rooms are not used often.

Stagnant water can accumulate harmful bacteria and these can cause diseases eg Legionnaires disease if breathed eg from spray. For cars a little screen wash is all that is required to kill the bugs.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - BPL

I tried washing up liquid in my 2005 Golf and the washer jets never wrked again. Had to buy new ones.

Try taking the jet(s) off and see if it squirts

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - mcb100

I'm also in the 'never heard of this issue' camp. Supermarket's own brand ready mixed washer fluid keeps everything moving nicely.

Screen washers- Milton baby fluid - NAthan smith
Having tried Milton today it worked! Left in tank for 2 hrs with some water and it cleared it!