Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - Mr.Paws

I recently bought a Mazda 2 1.3 Tamura 2011. It's a really good car for what it is. I've owned a really good MX5 NC 2.0 Sport in the past which was fantastic, apart from it's slightly soft suspension.

I've read reviews about the Mazda 2, and this car isn't really the great handling car that they suggest. It's done 59,000 miles and is pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is how much it bobs around at the front. Pushing the car down at it's corners, it is much stiffer at the rear, but the front is pretty easy to push down at both corners. I'm thinking of replacing the front dampers at it looks like a really simple job. I've never driven another Mazda 2 before, and just wondered if they were so soft at the front. I understand it's similar to a Fiesta of a similar year, but having owned Focus's before I can't imagine it would be as soft as this thing is.

I'm probably going to change the front dampers, just hope I'm not doing it for nothing. Just after a bit of advice before I do. Thanks.

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - mcb100
It’s the springs that determine whether a car has a soft or a stiff ride.
By pushing down on the corner, you’re showing that the car is softly sprung, not under damped. The dampers are principally there to stop the spring oscillating, or ‘bouncing’ after having been compressed and rebounding back to full length.
The stiff springing at the back is to do two things - firstly to stop the springs bottoming out when the boot is fully laden, and to limit weight transfer when accelerating, thus helping to prevent a nose up/tail down attitude which lessens grip from the front tyres.
Does the car have a front anti-roll bar? That will also determine how soft the front end feels.
Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - Andrew-T

Bouncy suspension usually = weak shocks. But we can't test them here for you, so best take the car to a mechanic for a hands-on opinion.

Thanks very much for the replies. Yes the car has an anti roll bar. The car just bobs around too much at the front for my liking and is very easy to push down on the front corners. But I agree it needs checked out. Its not dangerous, just thought it would be better than it is from what I've read about them.

I went to a garage that 2 similar cars in stock. They were definitely firmer than this car at the front. So I've decided to replace the front dampers. I've noticed that QH are the cheapest, but I know nothing about them, so I'm tempted to pay a bit more for KYB. At least I've heard of them and know that they are supposed to be decent quality.

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - focussed

"Does the car have a front anti-roll bar? That will also determine how soft the front end feels"

But an anti roll bar does not have any influence on the suspension on a flat road does it? Only when cornering, when it limits the body roll, that's why it's called an anti -roll bar......Doh!

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - galileo

"Does the car have a front anti-roll bar? That will also determine how soft the front end feels"

But an anti roll bar does not have any influence on the suspension on a flat road does it? Only when cornering, when it limits the body roll, that's why it's called an anti -roll bar......Doh!

Jacking one wheel up will twist the anti roll bar. Pushing one side of the front down will also do this, won't it?

I've noticed that QH are the cheapest, but I know nothing about them, so I'm tempted to pay a bit more for KYB.

Quinton Hazell is an old brand which used to be well respected many years ago, but I have an idea that things may have moved on since then ?

I can't find anything much about what QH parts are like these days. I would imagine that loads of people use them as they are cheap. Cheap isn't always good though. I haven't a clue about the numerous amounts of low priced shockers that seem to be around, at least I've heard of that brand, not that that means much.

I'm also thinking of replacing the springs as they appear to be corroded. It's just the paint really, I guess I could coat them with something. But I guess they're 9 years old and if one snaps in the future it all has to come out again.

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - Peter.N.

Its difficult to find a car with soft suspension nowadays, manufacturers seem to think everyone wants to corner at 60 mph, after trying a lot of cars that were supposed to be soft I now have a Citroen C5, the only one I found that was.

Its difficult to find a car with soft suspension nowadays, manufacturers seem to think everyone wants to corner at 60 mph, after trying a lot of cars that were supposed to be soft I now have a Citroen C5, the only one I found that was.

But cornering would be to do with the anti-roll stiffness rather than the dampers ?

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - RT

But cornering would be to do with the anti-roll stiffness rather than the dampers ?

Dampers, springs and ant-roll bar all play a part when cornering - it all depends on the relative stiffness of each component.

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - galileo

Dampers, springs and ant-roll bar all play a part when cornering - it all depends on the relative stiffness of each component.

The original Lotus-Cortinas were well known to lift the inside front wheel several inches off the tarmac when raced by the likes of Jim Clark and Graham Hill. Still got round the corners though, usually in the leading positions.

Usually ahead of a Mini waving a rear wheel in the air.

Mazda 2 (2011) - Front Suspension Really Soft Is This Normal? - Engineer Andy

I recently bought a Mazda 2 1.3 Tamura 2011. It's a really good car for what it is. I've owned a really good MX5 NC 2.0 Sport in the past which was fantastic, apart from it's slightly soft suspension.

I've read reviews about the Mazda 2, and this car isn't really the great handling car that they suggest. It's done 59,000 miles and is pretty good. The only thing I don't like about it is how much it bobs around at the front. Pushing the car down at it's corners, it is much stiffer at the rear, but the front is pretty easy to push down at both corners. I'm thinking of replacing the front dampers at it looks like a really simple job. I've never driven another Mazda 2 before, and just wondered if they were so soft at the front. I understand it's similar to a Fiesta of a similar year, but having owned Focus's before I can't imagine it would be as soft as this thing is.

I'm probably going to change the front dampers, just hope I'm not doing it for nothing. Just after a bit of advice before I do. Thanks.

As a long-term Mazda3 owner, I can assure you that soft suspensions and Mazda of the modern era don't go together. I suspect there's faults with the suspension of both cars.

I've been driven in both a 2nd and 3rd gen MX-5 and driven Mazda2 courtesy cars over the years and have never come across a soft suspension in any (more like a bit too firm for my liking) or poor handling.

It could be that the suspension - not necessarily (just) the springs and dampers, but (also) the suspension links etc, which can easily cause issues when cornering. A previous owner may have had an incident such as going over a deep pothole, up a steep kerb too fast, etc which may have caused or exacerbated any normal wear-and-tear issues.

I should maybe rephrase it, the MX5 wasn't really soft but in humble opinion it had too much body roll and the ride height was too high. This was a 2006 MK3 NC 2.0 Sport with a low mileage. The facelifted version was slightly improved, with slightly lower suspension. I drove 7 MX5's before buying this one, I thought they were all pretty similar, with the facelifted ones being slightly better in the suspension department, but not by much. I improved my car by adding thicker anti roll bars off an RX8. I should've put decent coilovers on the car, but I hate how insurance companies fleece you. There was nothing at all up with the MX5 it was an excellent example. Just for what I was using it for and expected out of a 2 seater sports car it could've been a so much better car. Then again the cost of the MX5 makes it fairly cheap to buy to such a wide demographic of people whom may not want a firmer-lower ride, so I get why it is the way it is. The gap in the wheel arch on a standard NC MX5 is huge for a 2 seater roadster, just in my very humble opinion, it's like a 4x4...

I wasn't alone in this thought, lots of owners on the MX5 forum had changed the springs to Eibach's or replaced everything with coilovers, or uprated springs and dampers. I've driven an S2000 before and the standard suspension is way better than a standard MK3 MX5. Then again it was aimed at a different driver I guess. I thought the MX5 was a decent handling car, but I believe it could've been way better with decent quality uprated suspension. If I was in the market for another it's something I would definitely do.

You can't really compare it to this Mazda 2. It was way stiffer, but just my opinion of the MX5 made me question whether it was normal. After as mentioned above viewing other 2's I know this cars front suspension is shot.

Everybody is different what they expect from a car. I like a sports car to be more hardcore. The MX5 was a bit crashy, considering it had Bilstein dampers as standard. There was nothing at all wrong with my MX5, it was a superb example. It's just a short coming of the car for somebody like me, using at as second car, good weather toy. The price of car, the amount of choice made me pick one, most had a lot of surface rust underneath, that's the main reason I looked at so many.

I really wanted an S2000, but they were too expensive. I've also owned a Honda Integra Type R DC2. That was an amazing car, by far the best FWD car I've driven. Everything from the factory was perfect for what type of car it was. I would imagine most people would get annoyed with a car like this, it's ride etc, I loved it.

I just had a feeling that the MX5 with decent suspension would be an awesome car, as it was so direct and had such a complicated suspension setup. You could feel everything that the car was doing, it was just too crashy and leaned over too much for my liking.

Everybody to their own though. My reasoning is that I thought the MX5 was a bit soft for what it was, so expected a 2 to be even softer for what it was. This is just my reasoning comparing to Honda's. Although I used to have a Civic VTI-S MB6, the Rover shape, the suspension was poor on that for what it was. I upgraded it with Koni adjustable dampers, and Eibach springs. It's the only Honda sporty car I've had that I thought was poor in the suspension department, I've also owned an EP3 Civic Type R, good car, but no Integra.

Edited by Mr.Paws on 27/11/2020 at 13:25

I had the pleasure of demonstrating the Mk 3 MX- 5 GT (www.autoexpress.co.uk/mazda/mx-5/18782/mazda-mx-5-...t) to dealers, and that was much sharper than Sport Nav with Bilsteins.
Mk4 is a big improvement on 3, being lighter and more rigid. The 1.5 is slightly sweeter to drive than the 2.0, but I’d still take the bigger engine.

Yes I'd love to have an ND MX5. Everything I've read about it makes me think it's better than the Mk3. I't looks way better too, do prefer the softop one though. It's nice to see a manufacturer making something lighter for a change than the previous model, going back to what the car is actually aimed at in the first place.

If you've ever seen the episode of Grand Tour where Richard Hammond damages an ND in a desert sequence, that's the exact car that I used a few weeks previously to launch the car to the dealer network. I suspect it was crushed after Grand Tour finished with it.