Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - EmmaTransitFan
Hello van people!

I am finally in a position to buy a van to convert into a camper, and plan to spend the summer holidays each year travelling around the UK and beyond with my little boy.

I won’t bore you with the conversion details but wanted to ask you some questions about my dream base vehicle, the Transit L3 H3 (no arguing me out of this one I’m afraid!).

1. Is there more load space in the FWD than the RWD? How much?
2. Is there more load space in the post-2014 vans? If so does anybody know the measurement difference between the two load areas? I’m need as much height and width as possible.
3. Would any of you buy a post-2014 van with 140,000-150,000 mileage for this use? (Bear in mind I’m not planning on a resale but want it to last us at least seven years as a camper) Or would we be better off looking for an older model with less than 100K on the clock? My concerns with the older models are that if I’m not sure we’d get the max height and width (no, I want a Ducato!), but I don’t have the budget to get a newer van with less miles...
4. Finally, I don’t suppose anybody knows when the used van market is going to cool off a bit?! ;)

Thanks so much and apologies for my ignorance - this will be my first van purchase and I’m in the research phase.

x
Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - Steveieb
First thing we looked for when buying a Transit to operate in short runs was a a Euro 4 compliance. Need to go back to 2013 to find one and we were lucky.
No dPF s and EGR blockages to worry about which is great if you are not relying on a warranty. But I've heard that main dealers refusing warranty on Dpfs as they say you are not using the van correctly with mixed use.
Heard stories that small companies buying high mileage vans and budgeting to spend up to £4000 to refurbish the vehicle and rely on old technology.
Forgot to say you have chosen a really bad time to be looking as so many people are being made redundant and need a van to start a new career.
Thanks very much Steveieb that’s interesting about the DPF and not something I’d considered.

Completely agree about this being a terrible (perhaps the worst!) time to buy the van. Sadly it’s taken me over two years to get to the point of being able to afford it and I’m too impatient to hang on until the used van market drops unless it’s going to do so quickly as I want to be in the van by summer!

x
Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - Andrew-T

I'm wondering why you aren't looking for a camper. Do you have your own design for the interior, are you planning a DiY conversion, or is it a matter of expense? Campers should have been much less (ab)used than 7-year-old Transits. A neighbour of ours was recently widowed and sold on their camper, so s/h campers may be as easy to find as decent examples of s/h vans ?

Thanks for your response Andrew. I have my own very specific design for the interior (DIY but employing a professional for the scarier bits!). x
Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - daveyjp

Prices are high because interest in what you want to do has increased.

A local car insurance repair shop saw such a drop in trade over March to August they began converting vans to campers, they are stacked out.

With any van you need to see what it is like underneath. They aren't really built to last decades and 5-10 years of running on UK wet and salted roads can wreck the chassis and body very quickly.

Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - Trilogy.

With any van you need to see what it is like underneath. They aren't really built to last decades and 5-10 years of running on UK wet and salted roads can wreck the chassis and body very quickly.

My 2005 VW Transporter with 182,000 miles covered is in lovely condition both body and underneath.

Heard stories that Ford have refused to replace DPF s under warranty as they claim the owners have not driven a mixed type of journeys. Cost about £700

But the most common problem on Transits is clutches and duel mass flywheels. Most need replacing at 90 k otherwise they can damage the surround. Cost about £700 and symptoms are a noise which goes away when you depress the clutch.

But do try and avoid the Vivaro , Traffic as they are really not up to the job as their gearboxes are car quality and often fail together with injector troubles that are difficult to remove.

Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - mcb100

I'm no van expert, but I think you'll find a FWD Transit has a lower floor than a RWD one because it doesn't have to accommodate a propshaft and axle.

Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - John Boy

Isn't some of the information you want, Emma, given on this link?

vanguide.co.uk/ford-transit-dimensions

Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - SLO76
Tread carefully here. Used vans aren’t like cars, people don’t trade up because they just fancy a change, businesses offload vans of this vintage because they’re costing too much to keep on the road. The only used vans I’d recommend would be ex BT, NHS or utility firm vehicles which are offloaded at a set age and not due to reliability issues. Anything else will almost certainly be a huge money pit. These are more expensive as they’re in demand, especially BT stock which are well maintained. Used vans are a nightmare. You could strike lucky but most do not.

Transit clutch and dual mass flywheel is £1200 upwards depending on model and who is doing the job, the DPF is £700 plus, an injector fitted is £200 on most modern diesels and there’s 4 of them. Transits are notorious for timing chain failure which could ruin the engine and a fuel pump fitted is another four figure sum and you’re buying right at the point where major stuff like this will fail.

I hate to rain on your plans but I’d advise against this unless you can afford to write the thing off or pay out a substantial four figure sum for a new engine. A lightly used camper van would be a much safer but more costly bet.

Edited by SLO76 on 21/11/2020 at 17:40

Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - badbusdriver

As far as I am concerned, if you plan to spend a lot of time, money and effort converting a van into a camper which you plan to keep at least 7 years, what you need to focus on above all else, is to get absolutely the best base van funds will allow. And, IMO, a 120k+ mile Transit is not that.

Whether or not a Transit would be the best choice even with lower miles is debatable, though given you already seem to have decided that it must be a Transit L3 H3, it is a moot point.

You have not said what budget you are working to, but my advice would be to forget about the 'full conversion' at this point in time. Take most of what you are budgeting to convert the van and add it to what you plan to pay for the base van. The only thing you really need is to insulate it and line it, most everything else can be done in due course as time and funds permit. A camping stove, a couple of inflatable mattress, a couple of beanbags to sit on are all you need to get going. I'd also question whether or not you need such a large base van for just you and your son. A smaller van is not necessarily going to be cheaper to buy, but it will be easier to park, cheaper to insulate and line, and probably more efficient. Years ago my parents had a camper which my Dad converted from a VW T25 van, not very big at all, no high roof or anything, very basic inside. The only thing he'd do differently was to have it insulated properly and have a pop up roof so they could stand up in it.

Thanks for all the tips re pitfalls and for the link for measurements of the newer model. Badbusdriver I think your advice re putting more money forwards the base vehicle and converting it in stages is sound thank you. I will look into this plan seriously. There seem to be lots of safer bet options coming in for about £3K more than I’ve got (a couple are mess vans which already have side windows and roof vents...). Maybe I need to find that £3K somehow... I would go for a shorter van lengthwise but do want the H3 height. If I’m living in it for six weeks every summer I want to be able to stand up when I’m cooking and stuff. Also putting the kids bunk up top. was originally looking for a L2H3 but there’s hardly any about so didn’t think that was realistic. x
Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - bazza

I think you have sound advice from bbd and slo here. I've been toying with the idea for a couple of years but a smaller daily driver day van sort of thing. The used market is up about 25% so it's a bad time, though Jan might be as good as it gets at the moment. All the decent advice is to buy as new a van as possible and go from there. Look at ducatos too, all the bespoke stuff is based on that. You may not need h3, you can add a higher top bubble to it when you know you actually need it. About £2 to 3k. Remember a big van will only give you 25 to 30mpg, significant if you do a lot of miles. I wouldn't buy a cheap van and spend thousands on the conversion, you'll lose that value straight away, so keep it as new and simple as possible to start with. It's about what you do and where you go rather than the fanciness of the interior. An awning or tent will add loads of practically no n summer too. Best regards

I would go for a shorter van lengthwise but do want the H3 height. If I’m living in it for six weeks every summer I want to be able to stand up when I’m cooking and stuff.

I think you may be underestimating the interior height of a standard roof van. OK, they are going to vary, but to give an example, a few years ago when moving house, I rented a SWB low (or standard) roof Renault Master and was able to (just) stand up in the back (I'm 5'9"). So even accounting for a reduction in available height for insulation and lining, if you were 5'6", maybe 5'7", you'd manage with just that standard roof height. Now as I said, vans do vary in terms of interior height, but I think the Renault and its near identical twins from Nissan (NV400) and Vauxhall (Movano) have about the most interior height for vans in that class. Going up to a 'medium' (presumably H2 in Transit parlance) roof, obviously will give more space, especially in a van with less interior height as standard, but I don't think there is a need to go for the highest roof option.

Ford Transit - Questions for Transit owners - Will deBeast

Talking to some of the panel van conversion companies, they're currently doing new vans instead of used - there are some great deals around, especially on the big Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen vans.

I don't know what the market is like for transits, but I'd have expected similar.

Incidentally, the FWD Transit has an extra 10cm interior height over the equivalent RWD version.