Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - wheelspin

Hi

Due to changes in legislation like many others living in London I'm having to replace my 04 Sharan TDI. I'm considering an Estima 2.4 Auto imported from Japan. Budget is around £6k.

Are there any changes to legislation that might be in the pipeline that may affect petrol grey imports in future.

Thanks for your advice.

Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - Falkirk Bairn

Hardly the cleanest! CO2 > 226. E4 - then again they are typically 10 -18 years old

www.nextgreencar.com/view-car/14225/toyota-previa-.../

Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - RT

Quite likely that grey imports won't be ULEZ compliant, so either not usable in London or a penalising daily rate.

Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - wheelspin

I've checked a few grey estima import registration numbers on this TFL link which states No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle.

tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle-35896

So for now there's no ULEZ.

Unsure whether its a risk to buy one with a change of law in the future?

Edited by wheelspin on 15/11/2020 at 17:58

Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - Engineer Andy

I've checked a few grey estima import registration numbers on this TFL link which states No ULEZ charge due for this vehicle.

It depends on the age of the car and where it comes from - noting that a Previa (the Estima's UK name) from 2006 I checked had no charge because it's an EU4 engine, but a much older one (same size engine) from 1998 did qualify for the charge.

I presume you're still referring to the specific charge for the car and not generally - the current charges are applying generally for cars of EU3 or below for petrols and EU5 and below for diesels.

Given politicians and officials are now clambering to go the 'green' route asap with new or uprated rules, ULEZ schemes and banning ICE cars much earlier, especially under the cover of the pandemic, I'd be very wary of getting such a car.

Besides, even the 2006 model I checked had a CO2 emissions rate of a whopping 259g/km (226 for the manual version), which means you'd have to pay VED of £580pa, never mind the likely woeful mpg!!!

The HJ website 'car chooser' offered up the following (including the newer version of your car) for your requirements - petrol included and for your budget:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/chooser/?t=123666&t=11964...0

The 'chooser' can be found by clicking on the Reviews tab near the top of the page and click on 'pick your next car' and go from there. What it doesn't say is how difficult it'll be to source one.

Note also that some (but not all) of these cars may come with dual clutch gearboxes (I didn't specifically check each, but some VAGs and Fords did appear on the list), which may not be the wisest idea reliability-wise on a car that may be coming up to 10 years old.

I hope the above was helpful.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 15/11/2020 at 20:19

Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - nellyjak

It depends on the age of the car and where it comes from - noting that a Previa (the Estima's UK name) from 2006 I checked had no charge because it's an EU4 engine, but a much older one (same size engine) from 1998 did qualify for the charge.

I presume you're still referring to the specific charge for the car and not generally - the current charges are applying generally for cars of EU3 or below for petrols and EU5 and below for diesels.

Given politicians and officials are now clambering to go the 'green' route asap with new or uprated rules, ULEZ schemes and banning ICE cars much earlier, especially under the cover of the pandemic, I'd be very wary of getting such a car.

Besides, even the 2006 model I checked had a CO2 emissions rate of a whopping 259g/km (226 for the manual version), which means you'd have to pay VED of £580pa, never mind the likely woeful mpg!!!

The HJ website 'car chooser' offered up the following (including the newer version of your car) for your requirements - petrol included and for your budget:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/chooser/?t=123666&t=11964...0

The 'chooser' can be found by clicking on the Reviews tab near the top of the page and click on 'pick your next car' and go from there. What it doesn't say is how difficult it'll be to source one.

Note also that some (but not all) of these cars may come with dual clutch gearboxes (I didn't specifically check each, but some VAGs and Fords did appear on the list), which may not be the wisest idea reliability-wise on a car that may be coming up to 10 years old.

I hope the above was helpful.

Imported vehicles from Japan are not taxed (VED) on emission levels...it's a flat rate.

I elect to pay monthly for my 3 litre V6 Estima @ just over £23 per month.

(btw..looking at my last MOT certificate the emission levels are fabuloulsy low.!)

ULEZ.?...dunno..never checked 'cos I'll never go there in it....certainly wouldn't risk it.

Toyota Estima - Future Grey Import petrols - focussed

Possible changes to the way that road use is charged for is under consideration right now. A vehicle that emits a lot of CO2 is going to be an obvious target for high charges. I posted on the proposals on this subject this morning.