BMW125D - A couple of discussion topics - paulc924

For may years I have driven various types of industrial/agricultural vehicles with hydrostatic transmissions. You push the lever forward to go forward and backwards to go backwards which seems common sense. I have driven a couple of automatic cars many years ago and recently bought the vehicle above. I push the selector forward to go backwards and backwards to go forwards which is crazy to me. I guess it is a carry over from automatics that had mechanical linkages but are they not different now? It would make it easier for new drivers to have it the other way round surely?
I like to look after my cars and use the premium fuels. Whether they are worth it I am not sure. Anyway, when I used the premium diesels I understand they contain additives and when I lift the fuel cap it states no additives. A contradiction?

BMW125D - A couple of discussion topics - craig-pd130

On the autobox selectors, I think it's simply a carry-over from 50s/60s tradition which established the P-R-N-D-2-1 shift pattern.

The 'no additives' warning means no aftermarket additives, presumably as pump fuel in Europe has to meet the EN590 standard.

BMW125D - A couple of discussion topics - paulc924

Must agree on both points. Thank you.