Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - Car

After 7 years the time has come to replace the misses car (16 year old Vauxhall Astra Auto).

Budget is £4,000 + Trade In Value so max £4,200 and looking for vehicles with up to 60,000, max age 8 years old, either manual or auto. Majority of mileage is within town, with occasional motorway journeys to see parents.

So far she likes:-

Hyundai I10

Fiat Panda

Renault Clio

Toyota Yaris

Doesn't like:

Nissan Note

Vauxhall Corsa

Fiat Punto

May Consider:-

VW Polo and its Seat & Skoda equivalents.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Edited by Car on 11/11/2020 at 21:39

Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - SLO76
Where roughly do you live? I’ll take a look for worthy options nearby if you want.
Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - Ethan Edwards

Suzuki Ignis

North Kent (ME post code). Willing to travel up to 40 miles, thanks

Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - SLO76
At this money the best bet is a private sale. A dealer will expect £1k worth of profit and they’ll usually be flogging some auction bought car with a hidden history of some sort. Not all dealers are the same of course but when funds are tight I’d remove the middle man and go direct to the current owner. Speaking to them at their home will tell you plenty about their attitude to maintenance. A nice clean and well funded household is solid gold to find when viewing a cheaper used car. Private sellers are much more likely to negotiate on price too with many dealers refusing to budge a penny piece on cheaper cars.

Look for cars that've been owned longterm and look out for cars for sale due to owner giving up driving or due to bereavement, both mean the car isn’t being sold for an underlying fault. You want a good service history (something many smaller dealers will fake) and take time to check the Mot history for mileage discrepancies and paintwork for poorly repaired accident damage. I’d HPI it too but a car at this money which has been owned by the seller for 3yrs plus is highly unlikely to have outstanding finance. I have noticed that a huge percentage of private sale cars in your area are write-offs but thankfully Autotrader state this on the advert. If unsure at all then pay for an HPI check. After two decades of buying and selling cars I trust a private seller over 99% of dealers I’ve met, myself excluded of course.

Here’s a few I spotted.

A nice wee one owner Mk III Yaris with the right engine and spec.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201105583...2

A very nice Kia Picanto, the Hyundai i10’s better looking twin.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200829308...6

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201016506...2

Wee Hyundai i10 auto. Easiest thing to drive on the road.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201026545...4

One owner Fiesta with the robust Yamaha designed engine. These are great little cars.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201019518...0

Tidy wee Polo. Not the best engine but robust enough and easy to sell on. Rides better than most superminis too. Don’t touch an auto though, the DSG box is notoriously fragile.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200831313...5

I’m a fan of the Panda too, if there’s one available when I’m on holiday at the hire desk it’s what I’ll take. Reliability falls off a cliff at 70k plus but fine up till then and cheap to fix.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200724165...6

A wee oddball this one but tough and reliable, basically a Yaris on stilts.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201011488...1

A cheeky offer of £3k would probably net this and I’ll wager that it’ll still be running in another decade. Bulletproof little cars especially with this engine.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201104579...7

If you must buy from a dealer the be wary and check any terms and claims limit on the warranty they offer, most aren’t worth the paper they’re printed on. You do have legal protection but most dealers flogging older cars are experts at wriggling out of their obligations so check reviews and ask friends for opinions as most local fly guys will be well known. Watch for faked service histories and poor accident repairs. I did see a few though worthy of a peak.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200828304...2

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20201103573...9

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200911360...3

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20200824286...5

Edited by SLO76 on 11/11/2020 at 23:27

Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - nellyjak

It would always be the Yaris for me..(but I would say that wouldn't I..lol)...you've got the best chance of really good reliability AND a good chance of having some reasonable value left in it should you want to eventually sell it on.

Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - pd

The Yaris Auto (which I think is actually CVT) is nice to drive and seems reliable enough. That's probably what I'd go for.

Private sellers are vastly fewer in number than they used to be and a lot seem to think their car is worth a dealer price anyway. Genuine value private sales exist but are not easy to find and when you do find one a dealer has got there first! So, if you find one, be quick.

Edited by pd on 12/11/2020 at 09:32

Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - barney100

A Focus would be on my list, loads about so you should be able to get a good one.

After a bit of discussion, she's decided she wants a supermini rather than a city car and her shortlist is:-

Ford Fiesta MK6

Honda Jazz

Hyundai I20

Renault Clio

Citroen C3

Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - elekie&a/c doctor
If it must be an auto , then are only 2 contenders here . The Honda or the Hyundai.
Newer Car For The Wife - Suggestions Please. - badbusdriver
If it must be an auto , then are only 2 contenders here . The Honda or the Hyundai.

If it has to be an auto, I'd be happy enough with a Fiesta as long as you choose the 1.4, which uses a torque converter auto rather than the 1.6 and later 1.0 (Ecoboost) which both use the Powershift DCT.

After a bit of discussion, she's decided she wants a supermini rather than a city car and her shortlist is:-

Ford Fiesta MK6

Honda Jazz

Hyundai I20

Renault Clio

Citroen C3

Given the Hyundai i20 is on this list, I was wondering if there was any particular reason why the Kia Rio wasn't?. Under the skin they are the same car, and most folk consider the Rio (3rd gen, 2011 onwards) a nicer looking car.

I'd be reluctant to go with the Renault Citroen though. Not to say they are all bad, but you've a better chance of a dependable car with the Fiesta (1.25 or 1.4), the Jazz or the i20. Personally though, with a £4k budget, I don't think it wise to rule out the Suzuki Swift, Mazda 2 or Toyota Yaris. Looks are all very well when it comes to choosing and buying, not so much when thinking about decent long term reliability in a relatively cheap car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/11/2020 at 13:26

Forgot about the Suzuki Swift & Mazda 2(both ow on list), she doesn't like the look of the (Kio Rio, Toyota Yaris)

Edited by Car on 14/11/2020 at 13:46