Golf mk5 1.9 tdi, 2008, 150k miles - Weird sound from engine bay. - Frankley

www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1iod5LBwpo

Hallo everyone!

What might be causing the weird sound from my engine bay? (I can hear it from inside a car as well. I don't think it's normal. It sounds like some pump was about to die or maybe bad bearing?

I don't know too much about the car mechanics.

I've bought a car 3 months ago from a dishonest dealer. The dealer claimed that he did replace a timing belt, water pump and oil. When I've checked the reviews about him- the people been complaining that he doesn't know what he is doing (can this be a badly fitted timing belt etc?)

Today I was changing air filter- it looked like it never been changed. The engine light is on due to EGR emissions- if that's has something to do with my problem.

I am looking for advice or clue on internet first as I've already spent some money on this car fixing the things that you would expect to work well when buying from a dealer (like faulty brake system). Yes, I shouldn't buy a car on my own, but I had no choice :/

Can you help?

Edited by Frankley on 10/11/2020 at 18:45

Golf mk5 1.9 tdi, 2008, 150k miles - Weird sound from engine bay. - Oli rag
Not sure I can help as I can’t really hear clearly over the normal diesel clatter.

Good news is that this is one of the best Diesel engines ever made, so if you do get it serviced and running to your liking it should stay good.
Golf mk5 1.9 tdi, 2008, 150k miles - Weird sound from engine bay. - Frankley

Hi, I think I've sorted the problem :) I did have a problem with a carbon build in my car- hence the engine light on on my dashboard. I did buy an diesel adjective to help clean a carbon and I've drove for about 2 hours on motorway. The engine light is still on :/ but the car run much better and what is must important- the bothering me noise from the engine has gone away :)

Thank you for your reply :)