Japanese cars - Reliable cars - JCBBFC27

Hello, I am looking for a second small car such as the Vw Polo preferably models after 2015. Does anyone have any suggestions what are the most reliable small cars out there, I've heard good things about Japanese cars but just wanted to see what people thought.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - madf

Toyota Yaris: very very reliable. Hybrids unsurpassed.

Honda Jazz: even more reliable but boring to drive if you like driving

Nissan Micra : mixed stories

Hyundai (Korean) I10/I20. Very reliable.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - badbusdriver

I would completely ignore the Micra, earlier Japanese built cars are extremely reliable. But 2015 onwards is going to be either the last of the awful Indian built models (which ran up to 2016), or the first of the current model which is essentially a Renault Clio in a different suit, and as such, nowhere near Japanese levels of reliability (though some versions are better than others).

But in addition to the other cars mentioned by madf, add the Suzuki Swift and Mazda 2 to your list. Both are very reliable.

Edited by badbusdriver on 09/11/2020 at 17:52

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - up north

Have a 2007 Mazda 2 1.6 petrol in the family and just mot"d today, never had an advisory, low mileage at 90,000, built in Japan. Had a 2016 Mazda 2 1.6 and nothing but problems. Visit a Mazda dealer and you will see a ridiculous number of three year old and newer Mazda 2's on their forecourts, hardly shifting. Good mpg and handling, poor ride and terrible wind noise on the 2015 and 16 models. Cheap and uncomfortable seats, lots of road noise. Built in Indonesia. Not a keeper, unfortunately. Hence the numbers on the forecourt.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - nellyjak

You can't really go far wrong with a Japanese car..particularly petrol models..I buy nothing but Toyota but I wouldn't rule out Honda of course.

Reliability is almost guaranteed ...and they can still retain good value later in life.

The Yaris is fabulous little car..we've had 4 now and not a problem with any of them.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Kekettykek

Agreed, but people should be aware that Nissan aren't really Japanese any more. Renault have had a huge influence on the design and construction of their cars and it shows.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - SLO76
Open the net as wide as possible and buy on condition and history among the following.

Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol - don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost.
Mazda 2 1.5 Skyactiv petrol
Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol - The Hybrids are reliable but pointless.
Honda Jazz 1.4
Suzuki Swift 1.2 petrol
Hyundai i10
Hyundai i20
Kia Picanto

A well looked after Polo would also feature but the smaller petrol engines are very sluggish and the TSI petrols are expensive. A cheaper Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza would be worthy too but again the same problem arises. The 1.0 and 1.2 non-turbo petrols are gutless.

If all things were equal I’d favour the Fiesta, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift. All are fun to drive, reliable and cheap to run.

I'm glad everyone has the same idea I was thinking, just better to see what others thoughts are, the Suzuki swift and the Mazda 2 appealed the most as they seemed more exciting than others such as the Yaris. For the German cars like the Polo I heard too many bad story's about them, definitely can't be anywhere near as bad as my Corsa which was my first car, definitely one to avoid if you don't like seeing the mechanic every month.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - edlithgow

, definitely one to avoid if you don't like seeing the mechanic every month.

Unavoidable. I shave more often than that.

definitely can't be anywhere near as bad as my Corsa which was my first car, definitely one to avoid if you don't like seeing the mechanic every month.

Stick to the 1.2 and 1.4 petrol, along with the (Isuzu) 1.7 diesel and you shouldn't have many problems.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - skidpan

Hello, I am looking for a second small car such as the Vw Polo preferably models after 2015.

We test drove a Polo 1.2 TSi in 2015 and it was a truly dreadful car. At the time we has an 8 year old Micra 1.2 (our 2nd) and have to say it was refreshing to get back into it after the test drive.

But in 2018 we drove a Fabia 1,0 TSi and we loved the car immediately. That was the 95 PS version but after a very short drive in a 110PS version we ordered one and have never regretted it.

So far its averaged about 50 mpg overall, has brilliant performance, great space for passengers and luggage and is quite capable of doing long distances without leaving the driver/passengers feeling shattered.

Well worth consideration.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - jc2

I'm on my 4th.1.25 Fiesta-all have been excellent! Japanese designed engine in German built car.

Edited by jc2 on 10/11/2020 at 12:59

I'm on my 4th.1.25 Fiesta-all have been excellent! Japanese designed engine in German built car.

So certain models are good if I'm careful looking at Fiesta's as long as it isn't the 1.0 Eco boost?

Hello, I am looking for a second small car such as the Vw Polo preferably models after 2015.

But in 2018 we drove a Fabia 1,0 TSi and we loved the car immediately. That was the 95 PS version but after a very short drive in a 110PS version we ordered one and have never regretted it.

I've heard good things about the Fabia even though they're very similar to the Polo but somehow cheaper and more reliable, well from what people have said. Definitely a car I've considered.

So certain models are good if I'm careful looking at Fiesta's as long as it isn't the 1.0 Eco boost?

Yes, as SLO said earlier, the 1.25 and 1.4 (Yamaha designed) engines are fine.

Edited by badbusdriver on 10/11/2020 at 13:16

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Engineer Andy

I've heard good things about the Fabia even though they're very similar to the Polo but somehow cheaper and more reliable, well from what people have said. Definitely a car I've considered.

I doubt if they are much different reliability-wise given they use the same platform - more down to buyers being more discerning, realising what they want and getting better value for money and thus less likely to be disappointed, plus the liekly better dealership experience.

Skoda dealerships also appear to (on average) get better reviews for customer service than VW ones (obviously local varitions will exist and need to be accounted for).

Generally for reliability, go for the lowest specced model you need (i.e. not overflowing with electronic toys you don't use) as well as the usual good feeback on engine/mechanical reliability. Insurance will be cheaper too as a result (not a huge amount, but it all adds up).

To reduce ongoing costs further, make sure the car is shod on sensible sized wheels and tyres if at all possible - preferably tyres that are 55-65 profile and commonly available. That means they are less susceptible to damage, generally last longer, give better mpg and are normally a LOT cheaper to replace because there is lot of choice (including from the top brands).

We test drove a Polo 1.2 TSi in 2015 and it was a truly dreadful car. At the time we has an 8 year old Micra 1.2 (our 2nd) and have to say it was refreshing to get back into it after the test drive.

So far its averaged about 50 mpg overall, has brilliant performance, great space for passengers and luggage and is quite capable of doing long distances without leaving the driver/passengers feeling shattered.

Well worth consideration.

Welcome back. Sounds like the Fabia is going well.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - sammy1

I believe that it is a myth that Jap cars are more reliable. I think it is more to do with volume of sales It would take the volume of 3 o4 Jap companies to reach the volume of say BMW or Ford or Audi/VW group. I have owned different cars of all the makes, driven them with reasonable care and accepted problems as they occurred. Never had an engine or gearbox failure with any or any roadside breakdown other than a flat battery on a Pimera and that was my fault using the radio and wipers whilst enjoying the view when parked up.

I believe that it is a myth that Jap cars are more reliable. I think it is more to do with volume of sales It would take the volume of 3 o4 Jap companies to reach the volume of say BMW or Ford or Audi/VW group. I have owned different cars of all the makes, driven them with reasonable care and accepted problems as they occurred. Never had an engine or gearbox failure with any or any roadside breakdown other than a flat battery on a Pimera and that was my fault using the radio and wipers whilst enjoying the view when parked up.

?

Do you think the people who produce reliability statistics don't THINK of these things?

Seriously?

?

Do you think the people who produce reliability statistics don't THINK of these things?

Seriously?

Exactly, it is the percentage of breakdowns/issues/whatever in relation to the amount of cars.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - KB.

I don't think I've ever seen or heard, in the the past, say, 40 years, any serious report, observation or dialogue wherein there wasn't general agreement amongst sensible, balanced and well informed people that the Japanese produce the most reliable cars.

There may well have been views expressed (probably not since the late 70's though) to the effect that they used to go rusty prematurely or that the styling hadn't complied with European tastes compared to the likes of "our proper British motors" but I'm, again, going back to the 70's and, perhaps, early 80's.

Since then I can honestly say I don't ever remember anyone telling me that, when it came to reliability, the Japanese makes were "much of a muchness" when compared to the Italians, French ... and "British" makes. People will know what I mean by "British".

Maybe sammy could be thinking it's a conspiracy and there's been manipulation of the figures going on - although I would suggest that sammy's grasp of statistics isn't to be relied upon when he uses the ' there are less Japanes and more of the others on the road' argument to back up his theory. As has been said, I think the statisticians have caught on to that fact by now.

I saw that sammy started a post about "drifting" further upstream - but having made his point then absented himself for the remainder of the thread. I'm wondering if the same will apply here. A case of "light the blue touch paper and stand back and watch the fireworks"?

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Heidfirst

It would take the volume of 3 o4 Jap companies to reach the volume of say BMW or Ford or Audi/VW group.

Toyota's European sales are pretty much on par with Ford & Daimler & roughly 82% of BMW's. Hyundai+Kia European sales are higher than any of those individually. VW Group's European sales are way out in front but then it comprises so many brands/companies ...

On a global basis Toyota & VW Group are pretty much equal.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - kiss (keep it simple)

Sorry, posted in wrong forum! I have deleted it!

Edited by kiss (keep it simple) on 10/11/2020 at 16:27

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Steveieb

Had a real surprise to find that Lexus do make one unreliable car it’s the IS 220D, which has an awful reputation down to its Diesel engine.

Parts are a horrendous price with my indie reporting cancelling an order for a wheel bearing when he found it cost £1000. Ended up matching the bearing and fitting a pattern part in the hub.

As this is a UK forum I was only quoting my opinion of UK sales. As to reliability I was again referring to my own experience of ownership. To take it further as to overall quality of materials used in todays cars I think that the German cars and in particular BMW are still put together better than Asian cars. As to other remarks about statistic arriving at a conclusion in favour or Jap cars we all know that stats are easily swayed to give one answer that someone wants to project. Witness BJ and his latest advice from SAGE based on stats and algorithms. I am only giving MY opinion on here which seems a crime to some

As this is a UK forum I was only quoting my opinion of UK sales. As to reliability I was again referring to my own experience of ownership. To take it further as to overall quality of materials used in todays cars I think that the German cars and in particular BMW are still put together better than Asian cars. As to other remarks about statistic arriving at a conclusion in favour or Jap cars we all know that stats are easily swayed to give one answer that someone wants to project. Witness BJ and his latest advice from SAGE based on stats and algorithms. I am only giving MY opinion on here which seems a crime to some

I think that one of the best guides to reliability and hardiness of the mechanical and electrical bits (not bodyshell) is how many older cars of X or Y make and model do you see on the road?

If you keep their bodyshell in good order, then the rest normally lasts a long time and, aside from some not-so-successful ventures into making diesels, their cars (mine included) just keep going with little intervention.

I'd put good money on most of those non-'classic' cars that are just A to B motors are likely - with a few exceptions - Japanese, despite being outsold by Ford, Vauxhall, VW and BMW by several magintudes back in the 1980s and 90s.

One of the things that drew me to buy Japanese design and preferably made cars was that they used tried and tested designs that were easy to work on and simple to use. My old 90s Micra was a quite simple to do work on, but it rarely needed it. Fast forward 10 years and my then new Mazda3 had almost exactly the same layout for the steering wheel switches and positions of the parts in the engine bay.

On the other side of the coin, some of the European makes seem to delight in constantly changing where things go and how they work - it might look stylish or give that little bit extra mpg or lower emmissions, but often it's at the cost of reliability and easy of working on them. Remember all the stories about French cars and it taking an hour to change a headlamp bulb - but well under 5 minutes in most Oriental designed ones?

Of the German / European makes, I agree that BMW are probably the best on build quality, but I think they are still behind the best of the Japanese. And that's not confusing trim quality with engineering quality or handling/performance.

Yes, it may well be your opinion, which of course you are entirely entitled to, but your logic seems rather flawed.

First you say that you think it only appears Japanese cars are more reliable because they sell much less cars, therefore there are less to break down. Now regardless of whether or not there are less Japanese cars on our roads, the breakdown figures are worked out as a percentage of how many are sold, hence when you see these reports it says X amount of owners out of 100 have had problems. So the total number of cars sold has nothing to do with it.

Then you say it is based on your own ownership experiences, but unless you have owned a couple of dozen (at least) examples of each car you have owned, it is meaningless. I'm sure there are people out there with a 2.2 diesel Mazda who have had no bother whatsoever, but that don't make it a reliable car!.

And you seem to be under the assumption that because one car has a nicer feel to its interior materials than another, that means it is a better built car. This is also not the case, it just means that the manufacturer has spent more on interior plastics. This has no bearing whatsoever on how well 'put together' the car is, nor whether or not it is more reliable than a car with lower quality interior furnishings.

Then finally, just to cover all the bases, you throw in the conspiracy angle!.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - misar

Assuming the OP wants a new or fairly new car all these posts about how long-lasting (or not) X, Y or Z were 10, 20 or more years ago are pointless. The complexity of everyday cars, even the cheaper models, has changed out of all recognition in the past few years. That has affected some makes more than others, making past performance an unreliable guide.

I have never owned a German car but get the impression from forums like this that they are a good example of the problem. The reason may be that their manufacturers were once ruled by engineers. Now the buchhalter is more often the top dog.

Edited by misar on 10/11/2020 at 18:54

Has Mazda admitted their 2.2 diesel is unreliable or is it in the stats or just a favourite on here same as the DSG anti brigade. I have had a few DSGs excellent boxes

Whose breakdown figures do you quote, they wouldn't be by warranty companies by any chance totally meaningless percentages!

Has Mazda admitted their 2.2 diesel is unreliable or is it in the stats or just a favourite on here same as the DSG anti brigade. I have had a few DSGs excellent boxes

The problem with these engines arose from DPF regeneration issues, otherwise they would probably have been perfectly reliable. The issue was partly Mazda's fault but often due to customers with low mileage/short journey needs incorrectly buying a diesel. To be fair to them, pre-DPF diesels were fine with that use and the superiority of diesel cars was widely believed.

Back in 2009 I bought my first (petrol) Mazda 3. At the time every test by the motoring press lauded the diesel and implied choosing it was a no-brainer compared with the "puny" petrol engines. Mazda had plenty of both available but even the salesman tried to convince me that my 2L petrol was a foolish buy compared with a diesel at a similar price. Fortunately even then there were enough horror stories on the Mazda 3 UK forum to warn me off the diesel. Ten years on Mazda have virtually given up on diesels so it is no longer relevant for new cars.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - ifekas

The problem with these engines arose from DPF regeneration issues, otherwise they would probably have been perfectly reliable. The issue was partly Mazda's fault but often due to customers with low mileage/short journey needs incorrectly buying a diesel.

I don't think that was the only problem with the Mazda; the sump oil strainer was badly designed and could block easily causing expensive engine damage; cleaning this was not part of the service schedule.

The other models may be been perfectly reliable, but as a company the attitude of couldn't care less about a fault that wrecked owner's engines isn't great, and I certainly wouldn't entertain buying that make of car unless it was amazing in every other respect. You could say that others (like VW) behave the same, but some manufacturers are clearly better with the way they treat customers should there be a design fault. In my mind Toyota are particularly good; and of course one has a bit of peace of mind with the manufacturers that offer longer decent warranties - e.g Hyundai and KIA.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - MGspannerman

Sammy1 polarises the differences between subjective and objective realities. Do we construct meaning around our lived experience or scan data and assess it? How many times have you heard somebody say “my friend/father/neighbour smoked 60 capstan full strength from the age of 12 and died at the age of 96 having slipped over leaving the pub” and therefore cigarettes don’t kill you. OK I exaggerate to make a point but you get my gist, desisting from cigarettes is the single largest way of avoiding death and illness.

We now live in a society where opinion is regarded as valid as fact, and where people are proud to say they are innumerate (I don’t understand differential equations, the difference between mean, mode and average etc etc) yet would never dream of admitting to illiteracy and science in its broadest sense is increasingly poorly understood.

There is solid, verifiable data to support the argument that Japanese/Korean cars are more reliable. It is not an opinion but a fact. Well, I have a T shirt that says “The good thing about science is that it is true whether you believe it or not”. This is not to denigrate Sammy1 or anybody else, but the latter part of this discussion crystallises the point.

Can we just clarify, are you actually suggesting that unless the manufacturer admits there is a problem, there isn't one?.

If so, that is a new one for me!!!

Whose breakdown figures do you quote, they wouldn't be by warranty companies by any chance totally meaningless percentages!

No, what Car survey. So do tell, is that fixed?, and if so, by whom?.

Even if it was fixed, your conspiracy theory makes no sense, surely you can see that?. What would be the aim and expected result of rigging the results?. Surely the only point in doing this would be to increase the sales of Japanese cars, right?. Yet you said earlier that there were far less Japanese cars on the roads, so if reliability surveys were indeed fixed in favour of Japanese manufacturers, it is clearly pointless as it is having no effect.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - KB.

I think if sammy advises that he's had a few DSG boxes which were excellent then all those who have had examples that have had new clutch packs, replacement oil and software updates should hang their head in shame for being such a nuisance to VAG by complaining so vociferously. (by the way I, too, consider the boxes to be excellent to drive - but it didn't stop mine from needing all the above mentioned warranty work within the first couple of thousand miles)

Clearly I must be making it up when I say you can't look at any body of informed opinion that has experience of DSG boxes and which doesn't uniformly agree they have given a disproportionate amount of trouble. The Briskoda forum is just one representing VAG products and is well respected and offers a cross section of owners dating back many years - just pop in there and check, then come back tell me something different.

I'm sorry to say it, sammy, but, with the greatest respect, on this occasion, you're talking billhooks.

Simple way to resolve this argument is to look at what cars the Americans, Canadians buy. They have the lemon laws which give consumers much stronger rights, So mostly non home produced cars are Japanese or Korean.

The French And Italian manufacturers withdrew over 10 years ago because the Americans won’t put up with their reliability standards. Some German cars at the high end but not the volume.

Same in Australia where they say go into the interior in a Land Rover if you must but if you want to get back go in a Toyota

Simple way to resolve this argument is to look at what cars the Americans, Canadians buy. They have the lemon laws which give consumers much stronger rights, So mostly non home produced cars are Japanese or Korean.

The French And Italian manufacturers withdrew over 10 years ago because the Americans won’t put up with their reliability standards. Some German cars at the high end but not the volume.

Same in Australia where they say go into the interior in a Land Rover if you must but if you want to get back go in a Toyota

Indeed - and from what John Cadogan says on his YT channel, many of the 'less reliable' (and those who are poor on customer service) brands are doing very poorly on sales Down Under, even before the pandemic. Some have even pulled out of sales there altogether.

I suppose in countries with large distances to the nearest town and harsh environments, you just can't afford to just be 'stylish' without reliability.

We Brits seem to put up with that rather more than our former collonial cousins.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Archie35

I've just returned to the UK after living nearly 9 years in the Gulf, with a daily round trip commute of anything up to 300km (and rarely less than 100km). There the majority of the cars are Japanese or Korean, yet without doubt the majority of the breakdowns I would routinely see by the roadside were European cars, and Land Rover Discoveries (which so many Brits would buy unthinkingly when they arrived) were well known to be one of the least reliable of them all.

Sammy1 polarises the differences between subjective and objective realities. Do we construct meaning around our lived experience or scan data and assess it? How many times have you heard somebody say “my friend/father/neighbour smoked 60 capstan full strength from the age of 12 and died at the age of 96 having slipped over leaving the pub” and therefore cigarettes don’t kill you. OK I exaggerate to make a point but you get my gist, desisting from cigarettes is the single largest way of avoiding death and illness.

We now live in a society where opinion is regarded as valid as fact, and where people are proud to say they are innumerate (I don’t understand differential equations, the difference between mean, mode and average etc etc) yet would never dream of admitting to illiteracy and science in its broadest sense is increasingly poorly understood.

There is solid, verifiable data to support the argument that Japanese/Korean cars are more reliable. It is not an opinion but a fact. Well, I have a T shirt that says “The good thing about science is that it is true whether you believe it or not”. This is not to denigrate Sammy1 or anybody else, but the latter part of this discussion crystallises the point.

It's an argument that's been done a few times on this forum - individual experiences with their cars vs a larger set of data from the HJ forum or owner reviews here or some far larger survey data.

I suspect that, seeing some of the data myself on this, cars overall are more reliable for the main components like the engine, but seem to more often have annoying issues, which appear to be mainly electrics or electronics-related. Rather like a lot of modern home appliances, computers, mobile phones, etc - and often at the start of ownership.

One reason why the best Oriental makes are more reliable is that they tend to not take so many risks in putting their cars out to market with the latest tech. That often means they are seen as a bit 'staid', but it does at least mean they work as intended!

I myself have noticed that the majority of cars coming in to my local Mazda dealer for some fix for a glitch or such and such tend to be the higher spec newer models - probably as there's more tech to go wrong than the lower specced ones. Probably a similar story across most manufacturers.

To Sammy

My older son thought as you did and wanted a BMW

I argued with him to no avail. He bought a 9 year old BMW318i with Full Service history, 1 owner and 57,000 miles.

Four years later and several thousand pounds# later he bought a used Honda Civic which he still owns after 5 years. It has been faultless

# coils, brakes £1k, suspension £2k etc

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - veloceman
Interesting that Alfa Romeo and Fiat both sit 3 places above Suzuki in What Cars latest reliability survey.
Alfa being a credible 11th out of 31.

It’s even possible to reduce the odds against getting an unreliable Japanese car by checking the source of manufacture.

Cars built in Japan , which Lexus exclusively are, come top of the Which report o; reliability and Mazda which make most of their cars in Japan except the 2 which comes from Indonesia and which one report above doesn’t rate so highly !

My local Honda dealer initially refused to accept UK built cars until he was forced to do so and French produced Yaris s couldn’t match the reliability of the original Yaris. But import restrictions won the day.

It’s something I look for when examining a car!

Interesting that Alfa Romeo and Fiat both sit 3 places above Suzuki in What Cars latest reliability survey. Alfa being a credible 11th out of 31.

How many Alfas and (non-van) Fiats are actually sold in the UK nowadays? Not many I bet. I can't beleiev there's enough sold over recent years to make a representative sample for such a survey.

I used to see loads of Puntos about 15-20 years ago (a work colleague owned one), then practically zip from about 10 years ago. Even with there being an indie Alfa repair shop round the corner, I rarely see one on the road.

Lots of them canabalised out the front of the workshop though, plus a few presumably in for service/repair. Few under 5 years old though.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - nellyjak

Not a crime at all...just WRONG.

I argued with him to no avail. He bought a 9 year old BMW318i with Full Service history, 1 owner and 57,000 miles.

Four years later and several thousand pounds# later he bought a used Honda Civic which he still owns after 5 years. It has been faultless

# coils, brakes £1k, suspension £2k etc

What would you expect of any 9 year old car? As to the costs you quote, where on earth was it repaired. At any independent garage BMWs of any age are no more expensive to repair than any other and parts are also readily available and no dearer than other makes. On any 9 year old car you could expect brake pads discs and maybe some suspension problems especially as it appears to be 13years old when parted with.

The older cars that I frequently see are Golf, Bmw 3s and Toyota Avensis. How reliable they have been over the years is anyones guess

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Trilogy.

What would you expect of any 9 year old car? As to the costs you quote, where on earth was it repaired. At any independent garage BMWs of any age are no more expensive to repair than any other and parts are also readily available and no dearer than other makes. On any 9 year old car you could expect brake pads discs and maybe some suspension problems especially as it appears to be 13years old when parted with.

I wouldn't expect those faults on a BMW let alone any other car of that mileage or age.

As this is a UK forum I was only quoting my opinion of UK sales.

The actual UK v European nos. still largely turn out very similar but obviously on a smaller scale. Toyota are within ~ 10% of Audi, BMW & Mercedes, Hyundai+Kia outsell all of those. The big difference is Ford is the UK no.1 brand in the first half of 2020 whereas on an European basis it is no.7.

Edited by Heidfirst on 11/11/2020 at 14:03

Another confidential piece of information is the number of new cars written off as unfixable by main dealers and they do exist from what I understand.

Also the number of cars which are replaced under warranty under the sale of goods act. From what I have heard one company replaces more cars in a month than another in a year!

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - skidpan

Also the number of cars which are replaced under warranty under the sale of goods act. From what I have heard one company replaces more cars in a month than another in a year!

Could you give us more details, what you have written is totally pointless.

As this is a UK forum I was only quoting my opinion of UK sales.

The actual UK v European nos. still largely turn out very similar but obviously on a smaller scale. Toyota are within ~ 10% of Audi, BMW & Mercedes, Hyundai+Kia outsell all of those. The big difference is Ford is the UK no.1 brand in the first half of 2020 whereas on an European basis it is no.7.

Where did you get that data? If you are combining Hyundai and Kia you should compare with the total for VW Group brands.

UK passenger car sales 2019
www.marklines.com/en/statistics/flash_sales/salesf...9

Maker/Brand Jan.-Dec. Share
Ford 236,137 10.20%
VW 200,771 8.70%
Mercedes 171,823 7.40%
BMW 169,753 7.30%
Vauxhall 159,830 6.90%
Audi 138,924 6.00%
Toyota 105,192 4.60%
Kia 97,323 4.20%
Nissan 92,372 4.00%
Hyundai 83,284 3.60%

Skoda 75,053 3.20%
SEAT 68,798 3.00%

Edited by misar on 11/11/2020 at 14:48

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - bazza

The aspects of reliability, quality, build quality, feel, customer satisfaction are so inter-woven, it even appears in some of the so-called reliability surveys. Combine that with emotion and it's no wonder no two folk ever agree. Places like JD Power in the US tend to have very large sample sizes and are a good place to browse, not the What Car version, which is very poorly presented. There's no doubt that Japanese and Korean makes trend highest for reliability if you define that as problems/issues during ownership etc. From my own experience in Quality management in industry, Japanese customers have the highest and most critical attribute requirements, by far, so much that it was impossible for us to meet in some circumstances. At the other extreme, my personal ownership of vehicles has covered many makes, from very reliable French cars, to hopelessly problematic VAG models, even though I liked the "feel" of them.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - pd

Japanese cars got their reputation in the 1960s-1980s and it has kind of stuck? Do they still deserve it? In my view, just about, but not as much as they once did.

I reckon they peaked in the late 1980s - then the gap was huge but it has narrowed somewhat. European stuff has got better and the Japanese stuff isn't quite as good.

Do not fall into the trap of thinking Japanese cars do not go wrong or have design errors. They do, but overall probably not quite as much as some others. I also do not think the Korean stuff is as good as Japanese - start taking one to bits and you quickly find they still have a cheap'n'cheerful approach to quite a few design aspects and parts. It is surprising how often those 5 and 7 year warranties are needed.

As for Mazda they cannot be defended. An appalling design cock up and an absolutely terrible lack of responsibility. An appalling company when it really comes to customer service. As for blaming the buyers virtually every other manufacturer seems to be able to make a diesel which doesn't blow up when used on short journeys. What's Mazda's problem? It wasn't as if it was for a short while either - it was over several model generations.

As to small cars - yes, cars like Yaris, Jazz are all very good and generally very reliable as cars go but to be completely fair it isn't as if the motorways of the UK are littered with exploded Clios. I'd still rate a Yaris as more reliable and a better used buy from that aspect.

Let's also remember motoring is not all about reliability. Reliability isn't a big seller. You do need to actually like the car as well and enjoy driving it (this is meant to be a forum of motoring enthusiasts is it not) so it is all a balance.

Where did you get that data? If you are combining Hyundai and Kia you should compare with the total for VW Group brands.

SMMT data for the first half of 2020. e.g. www.best-selling-cars.com/britain-uk/2020-half-yea.../ (scroll down to "Best-selling Car Brands).

I can certainly see the argument for combining VW with Skoda & Seat as they essentially use the same platforms in very similar ways but I think that there is a bit more difference with Audi & certainly Bentley, Bugatti & Lamborghini - but we weren't really arguing about VW group's place as I acknowledged earlier that they are way out in front in Europe.

I can certainly see the argument for combining VW with Skoda & Seat as they essentially use the same platforms in very similar ways but I think that there is a bit more difference with Audi & certainly Bentley, Bugatti & Lamborghini - but we weren't really arguing about VW group's place as I acknowledged earlier that they are way out in front in Europe.

Don't agree with that but if you insist you should be comparing Audi with Lexus not Toyota.

Don't agree with that but if you insist you should be comparing Audi with Lexus not Toyota.

You are, of course, allowed your opinion but from my pov Audi engineering whilst drawing from a common pool of components often ends up quite different to VW/Seat/Skoda which imo are more alike mechanically

The particular line within this thread that I have been addressing is "It would take the volume of 3 or 4 Jap companies to reach the volume of say BMW or Ford " . There is no point bringing Lexus up as within Europe it is a minnow - if I was going to add another Japanese brand it would be Nissan at 127k sales in H1 2020.

The following figures show that as individual brands Toyota's volume on it's own within Europe in H1 2020 is higher than Ford's & a bit behind BMW but not by much.

ACEA sales figures for H1 2020

Ford 273k

Toyota 279k

BMW 286k

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - SLO76
From my experience (20yrs flogging the things) Japanese designed (not necessarily built) models are by far the best for longterm reliability. I’ve never had a major failure emptying my wallet on a Jap car. BMW’s are however a total money pit in their dotage and are best avoided on a tight budget. As a trader I avoided them.

VAG models are robustly built but you need to do your homework to avoid particular engines and gearboxes as they can be a bit hit and miss regards durability. Minor electrical and trim issues are common as they age too. I happily stocked them but most were simple petrol models with manual gearboxes.

There’s simply no comparison between the likes of a decade old Toyota Avensis and a BMW 3 series as a cheap workhorse, the Toyota will almost certainly provide reliable cost effective transport while the BM will be a constant drain. But with the availability of a company car allowance to offset the insane depreciation of a new car I too would pick the BMW, I just wouldn’t buy an older used example over a Toyota, Honda or Mazda petrol.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - BPL
Open the net as wide as possible and buy on condition and history among the following. Ford Fiesta 1.25/1.4 petrol - don’t touch the 1.0 Ecoboost. Mazda 2 1.5 Skyactiv petrol Toyota Yaris 1.33 petrol - The Hybrids are reliable but pointless. Honda Jazz 1.4 Suzuki Swift 1.2 petrol Hyundai i10 Hyundai i20 Kia Picanto A well looked after Polo would also feature but the smaller petrol engines are very sluggish and the TSI petrols are expensive. A cheaper Skoda Fabia or Seat Ibiza would be worthy too but again the same problem arises. The 1.0 and 1.2 non-turbo petrols are gutless. If all things were equal I’d favour the Fiesta, Mazda 2 and Suzuki Swift. All are fun to drive, reliable and cheap to run.

If you can run to a Suzuki Swift 1.6 Sport (they are non turbo) great fun, handle well, light and fast. Should hold their value OK.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - OceanMan

I'm guessing this point has already been made, but forgive me I haven't read the entire thread. Is it possible that the type of person who, generally speaking, buys an Audi or. BMW is more likely to drive recklessly and less likely to take care of their car, than the type of people who generally buy Toyotas and Honda's etc? I wonder how much car reliability is self fulfilling prophecy

The type of buyer who wants a car that will last will buy one with such a reputation, and treat it well so end up reporting fewer breakdowns. Type of buyer who wants a fun flashy car will buy a beemer with money they don't have, so they don't have much spare to pay for servicing etc. And so the cycle.continues

Edited by OceanMan on 11/11/2020 at 15:11

There are as many Yaris and Jazz bought on sub-prime PCP finance deals to people who really can only afford a £1k car who treat them like dirt and wreck them as anything else.

In fact, sometimes more. At least a fair percentage of the BWW and Audi sales start off on a maintenance contract lease so get some servicing sometimes.

According to Which the most reliable cars of all are the hybrids made by Toyota or Lexus.
Mainly down to the companies involved but also the cars are mechanically very simple with fewer moving parts compared with a non hybrid.
The gearbox is one mechanism that never disengages so it creates less wear than a conventional manual or auto gearbox. There is also no need for a starter motor or clutch.
These cars are used all over the world as taxis and in use 24 hours a day with several changes of driver.
Pretty sure that no other manufacturer can quite match this performance !
According to Which the most reliable cars of all are the hybrids made by Toyota or Lexus. Mainly down to the companies involved but also the cars are mechanically very simple with fewer moving parts compared with a non hybrid. The gearbox is one mechanism that never disengages so it creates less wear than a conventional manual or auto gearbox. There is also no need for a starter motor or clutch. These cars are used all over the world as taxis and in use 24 hours a day with several changes of driver. Pretty sure that no other manufacturer can quite match this performance !

I am not sure that is true. The Toyota system can drive the car using the ICE or the electric motor or both and that requires quite complicated engineering.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - moward

Its not quite as complicated as you might initially think. The greatest complexity in the system is the controls side of it, in the ECU. Mechanically the gearbox (if you can call it that, its more like a differential with only one set of gears) is simplicity itself. Certainly a lot less moving parts than a dual clutch type box. No clutch either which is a bonus (and one less thing for a careless owner to abuse).

I had a drive in a Lexus hybrid a number of years back and was mightily impressed at how smooth and seamless it was to just hop in and drive. All cars should be like this, would probably cut down on road rage incidents as we’d all to too chilled and relaxed to care :-P.

There are NO Japanese or any other far eastern makes in Octobers best sellers so maybe perceived reliability is taking a rest. The Nissan juke is in the mix but would not be on my reliability list. Modern sales seem to be more about the feel of the cars interior and dash technology than what is under the bonnet?

There are NO Japanese or any other far eastern makes in Octobers best sellers so maybe perceived reliability is taking a rest. The Nissan juke is in the mix but would not be on my reliability list. Modern sales seem to be more about the feel of the cars interior and dash technology than what is under the bonnet?

Not sure what sales figures have to do with reliability. If they were, some makes would never sell any cars.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Bolt

Modern sales seem to be more about the feel of the cars interior and dash technology than what is under the bonnet?

I would agree with that, most people I know who have researched into how good to drive cars are, have not taken any notice of its reliability.

how it looks, its interior, and infotainment are a priority along with comfort, reliability seems to take a back seat now, worry about reliability when it breaks down and not before, Or so it seems from family and friends.....Odd imo

There are NO Japanese or any other far eastern makes in Octobers best sellers so maybe perceived reliability is taking a rest.

Interestingly the top 10 best selling models in the UK in October only account for ~25% of total sales.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Trilogy.

If you're buying a car with the intention of only keeping it 3 years reliability probably won't come into the decision.

If you're buying a car with the intention of only keeping it 3 years reliability probably won't come into the decision.

But if it is four years, VW will disown you when three are up...

Maybe the sales figures of genuine Japanese cars has something to do with their cost.
With a humble Corolla costing around £28 k and a Mazda 3 around £23 k buyers like my partner turn to European cars such as her Captur 1.3 which she bought for £15k ex demo which looks amazing value against a three year old CHR! Costing £19k

Perceived reliability and longevity is not a seller. It is way down buyers lists. Most cars are thought of as "reliable" these days compared to 40 years ago in that most start in the morning.

It's more relevant on the used market but even there isn't something many buyers give huge consideration to when deciding what to buy. They maybe should, but they don't.

Maybe the sales figures of genuine Japanese cars has something to do with their cost.
With a humble Corolla costing around £28 k and a Mazda 3 around £23 k

Comparing an ex demo Captur with the list price of a Corolla is hardly fair. The list price for a Captur with the 1.3t engine starts at £22k for the mid range Ionic version (doesn't seem like this engine is available on the bottom Play spec). Plus, the Corolla list price actually starts at just over £24k.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Terry W

In a purely objective sense based on decent quality surveys, the Japanese and Korean makers head the list for reliability. German "premium" brands are fairly well down the list.

There is only a limited limkage between reliability and sales volumes - not as some would have it that the two concepts are inextricably linked.

But I suspect the headline hides some other issues:

• Buyers of BMWs, Mercs etc are often buying brand promises of speed, performance, glamour, precision etc - they drive them accordingly!
  • Buyers of Far Eastern machinery ar buying on reliability and quality - Lexus are streets ahead of their German rivals - they probably drive with less gusto
  • Japanese imports are limited - (not sure about Korean) which means they can increase prices to limit demand

At the time of buying the Captur Red Edition for £15 k ex demo with 3000 miles , she was looking at a Toyota CHR non hybrid from the main dealer 3 years old and £18995 so she thought buy an extended watrranty and hope for the best.

So far 12 months later nothing absolutely nothing has gone wrong to our complete surprise!

With a humble Corolla costing around £28 k and a Mazda 3 around £23 k

Comparing an ex demo Captur with the list price of a Corolla is hardly fair. The list price for a Captur with the 1.3t engine starts at £22k for the mid range Ionic version (doesn't seem like this engine is available on the bottom Play spec). Plus, the Corolla list price actually starts at just over £24k.

I was going to say the same - essentially for quite similar cars - the higher output 2.0 petrol versions of both (admitedly the Corolla being a full hyrbid), the price of the Corolla and Mazda3 are about the same.

To be fair to many of the non-German European brands, their prices have been quite competitive in recent years, with, for instance, the Mazda CX-3 being more expensive than the Captur, Seat Arona and a few others.

I think there comes a point where price matters more than raw reliability (in the case of Toyotas), handling (Mazdas) or a combination thereof.

It's why I (on another thread) noted how close both the latest Mazda3 (in SA-X form) and Corolla (2.0 hybrid) were in price to 'premium sports hatches/saloons' such as the BMW 1 and 2 series, which start at around the same price but with a lower interior spec, but not that much lower.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Catfood

Isn't it because all Japanese car, imported from Japan is subjected to the import duty (10%) ? All Mazda cars made in Japan hence more expeneive ? While some Toyota and Nissan models are currently made in the UK or in EU countries. Recently signed UK-Japan trade deal means the car import duty will be scrapped in few years time.

Correct me if I were wring, but it depends on the outcome of UK-EU trade talk, there may well be 10% import duty added on ALL EU manufactured car from 2021. £30k BMW may become £33k overnight.....

Think the 10% duty was dropped when EU signed Japan trade deal, hence less motivation for Japanese manufacturers to make in Europe.

This will presumably be carried over in January as we have agreed a UK deal with Japan.

Isn't it because all Japanese car, imported from Japan is subjected to the import duty (10%) ? All Mazda cars made in Japan hence more expeneive ? While some Toyota and Nissan models are currently made in the UK or in EU countries. Recently signed UK-Japan trade deal means the car import duty will be scrapped in few years time.

Correct me if I were wring, but it depends on the outcome of UK-EU trade talk, there may well be 10% import duty added on ALL EU manufactured car from 2021. £30k BMW may become £33k overnight.....

You're likely correct (same for pd once the EU-Japan FTA comes into effect), but it's odd how many makes like Mazda didn't seem to have a problem in the past being price competitive with comparable brands. I think it's more about their push to go up market in brand terms, as demonstrated by their very upmarket feel of the interior of their latest cars.

Personally I think they should have to demonstrate they are as good on the engineering quality/reliability front as Touyota/Lexus first before matching them on price.

Their current range of petrol engines (and aside from the rotary ones, most past ones as well, mine incluede) are highly reliable and long-lived, but their diesels have been an issue for a long time if not used in a very specific driving pattern.

I also have seen numerous instances at my local dealer and reported on forums of post Ford-era quality and electrical issues in new cars - the vast majoirty are resolved, but they are too numerous for my liking compared to those they appear to want to compete with.

I think the reason why Toyota/Lexus have such a high reputation is that they first demonstrated their engineering quality and post-sales customer care before going upmarket in terms of price.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 16/11/2020 at 11:12

"I think the reason why Toyota/Lexus have such a high reputation is that they first demonstrated their engineering quality and post-sales customer care before going upmarket in terms of price."

Try getting a LR dealer to find a fault and fix it. I am told by fleet owners service is pants.

My experience of Toyota and Honda - with much cheaper cars - that the one warranty claim we have had - pinprick hole in engine hose in second hand Yaris was resolved within a week..(delay due to obtaining part and agreeing fixing date)

I have mixed feelings about frequent comments that Mazda are expensive. On the one hand so much the better if it makes the brand more exclusive by discouraging the riffraff from buying. On the other hand it does make it appear that owners like myself are poor judges of value for money.

As I don't like wasting my cash, both my purchases of a new Mazda 3 were accompanied by much fact finding and spreadsheet gymnastics. Lesson one is that precisely comparing like with like is both essential and difficult. Back in 2009 I was seriously interested in a BMW 3 series and at first sight it did not seem that much more expensive than the corresponding Mazda 3. Once I started looking at "extras" on the BMW which I really needed (let alone many other extra features on the Mazda which I subsequently found very useful) its OTR price shot up into the stratosphere. I know the German's have improved on the "extras" front since then but they have increased their list prices accordingly.

With both purchases I found it very useful to compare with the closest spec Ford (because I bought them for many years). The list prices of the two can be surprisingly close once you go into the detail of what exactly you are getting with each trim/engine level. Its very likely the Ford dealers will give a bigger discount, not least because there are more of them competing, but it is also very likely that the Mazda will depreciate more slowly. Having said that, I also think Fords are good value but I happen to have a small local Mazda dealer which is vastly better than anything I encountered with Ford.

I am a massive fan of Mazda cars owning one as far back as 1974 but what surprises me is the view the second hand trade has of them . One word seems to come to mind and its rust!
I know it was justified with the MK .2 MX 5 and earlier 3s but my concern would also be with the U.K. Importers attitude to engine failures on their diesels.
Forcing some owners into the hands of engine rebuilders in Ireland when they got no assistance from their dealers sometimes recently after the warranty expires.
But are these concerns now be justified or when was the new era in year terms ?

Only time will tell with my current Mazda 3 but I can give a factual report on the first one (Gen 2 petrol Sport I-Stop) bought new in 2009.

When it departed after 10 years it had no rust at all, was on its original exhaust (still very solid) and the only faults were the I-Stop battery (replaced after a few months under warranty) and one leaking rear shock. Plus the usual tyres and a new battery during the winter before I sold it. To my relief all its many gadgets continued to work perfectly (before that one I always chose trim levels with as little gadgetry as possible - not even remote locking).

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - BPL

Hello, I am looking for a second small car such as the Vw Polo preferably models after 2015. Does anyone have any suggestions what are the most reliable small cars out there, I've heard good things about Japanese cars but just wanted to see what people thought.

Some of the well publicised reliability indexes are sponsored by aftermarket warranty companies and are based on claims to their policies. So if you have a Kia with a 7 year manuafractiurers warranty you won't appear in the stats on a level basis with a 3 year manufacturers warranty. I have quieried this with them.

Honda even managed to assist BL to make a reliable car in the Triumph Acclaim . Basically a Civic saloon styled to suit the Brits.

But when my work colleague Major Arthur Mallock , who developed the Mallock U 2 kit car , bought an Accord Mk 1 I knew he was on to something.

All the electrical connections were pot cored with resin so that cables were securely attached to the metal connector. This was up to aircraft standard and whilst the French were having endless electrical problems these were unheard of on the Japanese cars.

Same with the small trucks such as the Cantor. Coca Cola bought a fleet which the scheptics said would never last and they were proved wrong.

My son has a garden machinery business and I often see Honda mowers in for service which havnt been started for two years up and running after filling with fuel and a couple of starts.

Got to hand it to them , yet the rest of the world are catching up ,

Just my luck , I was offered what I thought was my ideal car , a Lexus 220 D but it turns out to be the one Unreliable car , even though it’s a Lexus made in Japan.

Contributors on this site relate about egr s blocking , poor gear change, poor fuel economy in the lower 20s but no DPF problems as they weren’t fitted.

Spare parts are a colossal price, a rear wheel bearing costing £1000 and shock absorbers at £200 .

How can this be ?

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Avant

Unless you need a big luxo-barge, I'm not convinced that a Lexus offers anything that a top-of-the-range Toyota doesn't.

If a petrol Lexus is beyond your budget, is there a petrol Toyota that would suit you? Or a Honda Accord or Mazda 6 (again, petrol)?

Unless you need a big luxo-barge, I'm not convinced that a Lexus offers anything that a top-of-the-range Toyota doesn't.

the Lexus are indeed usually based on existing mainstream Toyotas e.g. the CT is a glorified Auris, the ES is on an Avalon platform etc. etc.

DPF's (or more correctly DPNRs) were fitted to IS 220 Ds. Having had 2 cars with essentially the same engine I would strongly suggest that the reported EGR & low mpg issues in most cases will have been due to using the car in ways (e.g. short trips where the engine never really reaches normal operating temp.) that were not suited to a modern emission-equipped, common rail, turbo diesel.

There were some issues affecting a small % of that AD family of engines throughout the Toyota ranges up until ~2009 but certainly Toyota in the UK/Europe would fix them for free even out of warranty (but within certain parameters). I strongly suspect that Lexus would have offered the same.

Don't know about the gearbox in the rwd IS but the manual box used with that family of engines in the fwd Avensis & Auris was noted for being clunky into 1st & 1st>2nd particularly when cold. The complaint that I heard more of re. the gearbox on the IS 220 D was the poor choice of ratios.

Many thanks Heidfirst and Avant.

Im testing the theory of KISS by trying a petrol Corolla Verso Made in Japan. Not ideal for me after the fabulous grunt and all round drivability of my A,4 1.9 Tdi B5 which I am keeping just in case.
I took the Corolla as a part exchange against my A2 Tdi which I sold once the initial love affair wore off and the noise, ride and appalling reliability got to me.

My granddaughter calls it a Noddy car and insists I take her in the A4 when I visit , but at this stage of my motoring life perhaps a “Grand daddy” car is ideal ?

I know one swallow doesn't make a summer but here is something for the Mazda doubters to mull over.

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Avant

Presumaably, this report coming from the USA, we're talking about petrol Mazdas. I think most people agree that these are as reliable as other Japanese cars.

Maybe something to do with a high proportion of Mazdas been produced in Hiroshima rather than in overseas plants using local content parts, less reliance on turbos to boost power and remaining with TQ autos.

As far as I know almost all Mazda's UK sales are sourced from Japan whereas the opposite is true for the USA. Many of their USA cars are assembled in the USA or Mexico. In fact there are no Mazda plants anywhere in Europe.

Obviously having no diesels cuts down on the number of Mazda turbos in the USA but they have wider availability (and sales) of turbo petrol models than us. The UK is rapidly following the USA re diesels as Mazda UK are removing the option from many of the models.

Leaving aside diesels, Mazda sell cars with more or less the same engineering worldwide, simply varying the trim level combinations and engine sizes sold in each market.

Edited by misar on 20/11/2020 at 12:59

Japanese cars - Reliable cars - Paul_1

If you're considering VW polo, I'd take a look at the skoda fabia.

Skoda are part of the VW family and the cars are put together in Czech - they know what the're doing. Better option than the Seat equivalant. Also [part of the VW umbrella. Skoda trumps Seat imo.