Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - John F

Exactly a year and only 5268 covid miles from new, nothing has gone wrong apart from a mysterious rattle caused by a stray bolt rolling around in the depths of the B pillar. Mrs F and I remain very pleased with this nippy little SUV. The carefully run in engine seems good, the oil level has gone down only about 5mm from the maximum mark. Assuming one litre between the surprisingly large gap of 40mm from min to max on the dipstick, that’s about 125mls of oil burnt, assuming no fuel dilution – unlikely at this age.

The computer has two trip recorders for average speed, mpg and distance. The first has not been reset since we got it and reads 31mph/41.4mpg/5267 miles. I have reset it today to see what it will read after another year now the engine is run in, hopefully including some long distance trips which we have yet to do. On the second trip recorder I recently recorded two outings on A and B roads to nearby towns, driven by me, purposely economically but not slowly. The readings were 34mph/48.6mpg/38 miles and 39mph /44.7mpg/48 miles.

I’m particularly impressed with the low rev torque of its tiny motor, having thought such engines would be noisy little buzz boxes. Anything but! It lopes quietly across the countryside, the EAT6 always keeping the revs around 2000 rpm at non-motorway speeds. Fifth gear is 25 mph per 1000 revs and sixth is 30mph per 1000 revs. (My TR7 2.0 litre is much thrashier with fifth gear only 21mph per 1000 revs). For boy racers there is an ‘S’ for sport (holds lower gears for longer) and for rapid overtaking there is an instant ‘kickdown’ response, dropping gears to eagerly red-line at just below 6,000 revs. I hardly ever use the manual ‘tiptronic’ option, Mrs F never does.

Handling is crisp, as expected from a small car, with no obvious over or under steer tendencies, although I haven’t been brave enough to explore its limits. Roadholding seems excellent on the standard issue Goodyear Vector4seasons 205/50 17. Quiet too, as presumably softer rubber than ‘summer’ tyres.

Niggles? Pathetic single tone horn, unadjustable intermittent wiper speed (why didn’t the infinitely variable rheostat I remember on early Renaults never catch on?). Fancy alloys – a designer’s dream, a pain to clean. And that’s about it, apart from new car depreciation pain. (It cost £17K). Still, if it lasts as long as the Focus (and it certainly won’t be doing as many miles) that’ll be less than £1000 per annum (or under £90 pcm for those thinking in PCP mode)…and I might be a nonagenarian.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Andrew-T

Glad you and Mrs F like your Pug, John. If you are talking of things which should have 'caught on', I would offer the relay which the Triumph 1300 had 50 years ago for dimming tail lamps when headlights were on. A boon for drivers behind, and one we could do with today.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Engineer Andy

Glad you and Mrs F like your Pug, John. If you are talking of things which should have 'caught on', I would offer the relay which the Triumph 1300 had 50 years ago for dimming tail lamps when headlights were on. A boon for drivers behind, and one we could do with today.

Similarly that cars could use their parking sensors to tell the car to dim the rear brake lights (and fog light if on), especially the high brake light, if it detects something within Xm of the car.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Avant

Many thanks John. Running reports like this are one of the most useful things a motoring forum can do.

I have very happy memories of the Triumph 1300. When we were first married in 1974 we had a Maxi (the twin-carburettor HL, believe it or not very reliable), and needed a cheap second car. We had a 1965 Mini-Traveller, then a 1968/69 Triumph 1300. SWMBO still remembers the Triumph as one of the most comfortable cars she's ever driven.

It had a starter motor that sounded like old Hollywood sound effects for the fall of Babylon, and towards the end of its time with us used a pint of oil evey 100 miles: but it never let us down and we sold it for £200, half of what it had cost three years before.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - paul 1963

I agree , always good to read a "real" review, food for thought for us, currently compiling a list of potential next cars.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - daveyK_UK
I am a fan of the 1.2 pure tech, it pulled along nicely a Vauxhall Combo hire van fully loaded with printing.
The 6th gear makes a big difference with the fuel economy.

I have very happy memories of the Triumph 1300.

So do I. My mother had one and in my 1970s days of bangernomics, so did I. Bought it for £280, ran it for a year and sold it for £285. The starter was noisy because the toothed starter ring was exposed. I once parked on a thick grassy verge near a collapsed wire fence, and it picked up the wire when trying to start it. Took ages to disentangle it from the ring gear.

Just thought I'd add a bit more info for m.p.g. geeks. Long term trip computer now reads 33mph average and 43.4 mpg over 2,692 mainly local miles. Four weeks ago we did a high speed mainly motorway run - 60mph avr, 43.4 mpg, 121 miles. I thought the mpg would be better, rather than exactly the same as the long term average, but the cruise control was, ahem, set generously for the motorway component. Today we did a low speed mainly motorway run, never faster than 70mph and usually a lot slower, as much of this bit of the M1 is 60mph. - 49mph avr, 50.3 mpg, 96 miles.

This clearly shows that even small SUVs have the aerodynamics of a brick, with an extra 10mph or so resulting in a huge percentage increase in fuel consumption. I'm pleasantly surprised by the 50+mpg figure which partially made up for the tedious crawl.

No wonder I can't find out what the drag coefficient is - I doubt if the manufacturer wants us to know! It's now 18 months old, and with fewer than 8,000 miles it's hardly surprising nothing has gone wrong.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - SLO76
Good friend at work recently bought one. Paid over £25k for a high spec 1.2 turbo 2008 and I have to say I’m well impressed by my quick drive in it. Gutsy, comfortable and spacious but the ridiculous price tag means horrendous depreciation that means it’ll cost far more to own than a nice used Audi A4 or BMW 3 series either of which would make for a far superior ownership proposition. Personally I’d buy used instead of encouraging manufacturers with their insanely inflated list prices.
Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Lee Power

My 308 Purecrap 130 is currently returning 46.4 mpg average over the last 7 days according to the my Peugeot smart phone app.

The highest I've seen is 61.2 mpg average for one journey in the past

It only does short journeys of less then 10 miles around town.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Bromptonaut

My son has just bought a 2017 Pug2008 with a lower powered version of the 1.2 Puretech.

He's loving it so far.

The highest I've seen is 61.2 mpg average for one journey in the past

Presumably with a strong following wind. My single journey trip computer figures were for a return journey within 24hrs -and not particularly windy as I remember, thus negating gradient and windspeed influences. My adult son recently admitted that he got the most amazing mpg when he drove his Peugeot 309 (another car shaped like a brick) to Italy by foolishly following an HGV closely.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Andrew-T

This clearly shows that even small SUVs have the aerodynamics of a brick, with an extra 10mph or so resulting in a huge percentage increase in fuel consumption. I'm pleasantly surprised by the 50+mpg figure which partially made up for the tedious crawl.

Even thirty years ago I was mildly impressed that my Nissan Prairie could manage about 38mpg with its 1.8-litre fairly ordinary engine in a fairly heavy body. But I suspect that the brick effect was the reason for running out of petrol just short of my intended motorway exit. The Mk-1 Prairie was about the most brick-shaped vehicle possible.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - newguy2015

The new 2008 is a great looking car. I’ve not seen that many on the road and I looked at the Peugeot website and found out that they want near on £21.5k for a basic model. That’s nuts and maybe partly explains why there are not that many on the road. A Nissan Juke is. Just over £18.5k.

Maybe I’m out of touch. I spent £3k on 1998 mx5 about 5 years ago and it’s been cheap motoring since. Although it did Breakdown last week. It Needed a new battery to get it back running again

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Engineer Andy

The new 2008 is a great looking car. I’ve not seen that many on the road and I looked at the Peugeot website and found out that they want near on £21.5k for a basic model. That’s nuts and maybe partly explains why there are not that many on the road. A Nissan Juke is. Just over £18.5k.

Maybe I’m out of touch. I spent £3k on 1998 mx5 about 5 years ago and it’s been cheap motoring since. Although it did Breakdown last week. It Needed a new battery to get it back running again

Currency fluctuations over the past 5 years, significant extra safety and gadget do-dahs and now the combination of production issues and a shortage of computer chips makes cars a lot more expensive than the 'sweet spot' period around 15-20 years ago when such issues didn't exist.

It's why second-hand cars in decent condition, especially easy-to-maintain, reliable ones from that period-ish are in demand and prices of them have been going up over the last year. Especially when the future is a lot less certain, especially as regards economies/people's job security during and post pandemic times.

IMHO it'll be even more so once the stored-up inflation of the pandemic really kicks in over the next year or so.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - badbusdriver

I took our Suzuki Ignis to Glasgow recently and found that the fuel consumption on the return trip, into quite a strong headwind, was around 10% less (maintaining about the same speed).

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - mcb100
I drive to Glasgow a few times a year, and always keep an eye on fuel consumption. It’s about 240 miles each way for me, and it’s always cheaper to drive there than it is to drive home, using cruise for the vast majority of the route door to door. I’ve always attributed the difference to the fact that Glasgow is at sea level, whilst home is c700 feet above.
Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - badbusdriver
I drive to Glasgow a few times a year, and always keep an eye on fuel consumption. It’s about 240 miles each way for me, and it’s always cheaper to drive there than it is to drive home, using cruise for the vast majority of the route door to door. I’ve always attributed the difference to the fact that Glasgow is at sea level, whilst home is c700 feet above.

Not something I would have even considered, but then my starting point is also about sea level (185-ish miles North) so not a factor for me. Even so, when we are talking 700 feet, surely the difference between coming and going isn't going to be that big?.

But for me, even going to Glasgow the economy wasn't as great as might be expected at 45mpg (that was doing around 75 mph most of the time) and I'd put the blame for that squarely with the Ignis's tall boxy shape. At single carriageway A and B road speeds, it will do around 55mpg fairly easily.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - mcb100
I’ve not really thought too deeply about it, but it’s consistent.
I did drive back from Glasgow a couple of years back into a fierce southerly wind - rare I know. As I set off I had about the distance home plus 20 miles on the trip computer. As I’d spent the week around town, that 20 mile margin would usually increase on the M74 & M6. Such was the effect of driving onto a powerful headwind, I had to break the habit of a lifetime and add a splash of diesel from a motorway service station….
Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - newguy2015

Thanks Andy. That all makes sense.

maybe I’m just old fashioned. I’ve always paid cash for my cars and never gone down the pcp / lease route. I dare say I’m not the customer a car company wants. I suspect they Works prefer me to get on the credit bandwagon. My plan is to keep my existing car for as long as I can!

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Lee Power

PCP can work fine if its 0% intrest & you have the crippling balloon payment tucked away safely in a savings account.

Presumably the balloon is inflated by the usurious interest rolling up over the years when it is portrayed as not being paid (0%).

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Bromptonaut

Presumably the balloon is inflated by the usurious interest rolling up over the years when it is portrayed as not being paid (0%).

It may be. As ever buyers who are financially savvy and understand the numbers can win on PCP even if it is largely pitched at those focussing on the monthly payment and a 'new' car every three years.

Peugeot 2008 1.2 PureTech 130 EAT6 Allure Premium - Progress report - Lrac

I think these cars look great and would love to own one (I do already own 2 Peugeots) but I like to keep my cars forever so would not be able to stop myself worrying about cam belt fibres migrating into the oil and the other well documented direct injection issues. Sorry but its the elephant in the room. If I was only planning on keeping the car for about 4 years I wouldn't worry at all