Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - daveyK_UK
Got a friend who wants another 0-12 month old car for the daily commute into London, looking at another 108/C1/Aygo (their current C1 turned 7 this week and is starting to have a few issues in the MOT) or an alternative small city car.

I have told him there is little value in auctions as a private buyer due to the excessive buyer fees. However he still wants to get one via auction as this is how he acquired his current car.

Manheim and BCA are still online only and trade only. Are any other of the bigger auction houses still holding physical auctions and if so are they open to the public?
Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - mcb100
I’ve not heard of any physical auctions, everything is virtual.
Cars are still at artificially high prices at auction, so may not be the bargain your friend is expecting, and lots of grumbles from the trade about cars not being anywhere near their description when they are delivered or collected.
The used car industry has been flying since June. but I’m seeing reports that it feels like the taps have been turned off over the past couple of weeks. Lots of cars with very little profit margin in them, having been bought in at inflated prices.
Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - mcb100
Just had a quick look online - you can get a 2019 108 from a Peugeot dealer for under £8000, it’s not worth the hassle or uncertainty of buying unseen from an auction.
Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - daveyK_UK
mcb100 - agree with your suggestion, but he won’t consider an alternative.

I would have thought a visit to the auction to see first hand the inflated prices plus extortionate sales fees on top would help change his mind.
Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - Sofa Spud

I've only ever been to car auctions for their entertainment value.

My golden rule for car auctions is:

Never take any means of payment with you.

Never make any gesture that could be construed as bidding.

Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - SLO76
I wouldn’t recommend auction as an option for Joe Public, the fees are far too high now to gain a real bargain and the volume of faulty cars that you don’t get a chance to properly assess is again far too high also. There are people who offer buying services, using their trade accounts and expertise to buy a car that fits your requirements. Personally I’d pay a bit extra for a dealer supplied car however. I’ve watched too many private buyers making mistakes at auction.
Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - Terry W

I used to buy cars from auction 20+ years ago. Buyers fees were low and it was possible to pick up a bargain (and occassionally a lemon).

Private buyer fees at BCA are ~£700 for an £8000 car + (no doubt) a few other charges. They are somewhat coy about the total - but I suspect you would be into £800-1000.

You get no road test, possibly an engineers report which covers major faults for a day, no real warranty except possibly balance of manufacturers if serviced and less than 3 years old, etc.

I would want to buy at auction for £6500 at most - or it is simply not worth the risk and costs.

Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - pd

Unless you have a trade account with online access it is a moot point anyway. No physical auctions and unlikely to be for some time.

Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - Westbury33

I heard that Aston Barclay will allow a viewing prior to auction. They always were the most user friendly of the auction centres for us private buyers.

As already stated though, the days of it being truely viable to buy from auction are financialy over. The fees do not make it a vlable proposition in my opinion.

I miss the days of getting to the auciton early, finding cars in the many pages of A4 catalogue of interest. Then locating them in the car park to check them out and hear them start when the time came. Then, the buzz of bidding in the hall, trying not to bid over my own maximum.

I loved buying a bargain car straight from the fleet, running it for a few months and selling it for what I paid for it. Running a modern late plate car for no cost. Alas, those days are over. All the best stock is sold before Joe public even gets near it.

These days, I buy privately where possible. Same come back as auction, but at least you get to see the owner and try the car our. Even room for a decent haggle on occasion.

Any car auctions since Covid open to the public - pd

Aston Barclay and Manheim both allow pre-sale viewing but it is a pain and rather defeats the point of online system. You still have to bid online so still need a trade account.