Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Steveieb

Been offered a 220 D with100k on the clock for £1650 from a neighbour.

Mot Til July 21 but no service history apart from a string of passes at MOT time.

Does this engine have a cam chain ? And will it be free of the DPF? And important to me what’s the ride like on the 45 profile tyres ?

Apart from new pads front and back don’t think much has been done for four years apart from the MOT.

Most grateful for your views but would need to dispense with my beloved 2003 Audi A4 1.9 Tdi which has no aircon but a full mot , which is worthless.

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - madf

This is the 2.2 engine with LOTS of issues.

Bargepole job..

Yes it has DPF.

Read www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=25...0

Dear Madf

So so grateful for finding me this review .

Im staggered because I always thought Lexus couldn’t put a foot wrong.

As you say barge pole job!

Steve

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Engineer Andy

From a neighbour and they have no service history to show for it. To me, and purchase with no or partial service history (if the latter is from the latest owner's period of ownership), then I would decline.

There must be other cars out there with a FSH for that price. Any diesel with a DPF is a ticking time bomb if the service/maintenance history isn't complete.

Better to get a petrol or another non-DPF VAG engined car that has a working A/C system. Might even be worth getting your Audi's A/C fixed (if that's what you meant) - probably cheaper than replacing the car - a known entity - for one that isn't by some margin.

Better the devil you know.

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - pd

It's a £1600 car at the end of the day and you'll be pretty shocked at how little that buys in the current market. A smorgasbord of tat and MOT failure disasters with major faults.

If it has done 100k and it is running OK, has a decent MOT/tyres etc and no sign of any sort of headgasket issue it might be worth a gamble as a cheap banger.

Biggest issue with these is they are horribly over geared - you need to be doing about 70mph for it to take 6th properly. They also have a generally not very refined drive line with rather clunky gearchange.

If it is otherwise clean and drives OK maybe worth a punt, I'd be inclined to simply drive it and if it packs up after 20k just consider it good value and scrap it.

As I said at the start, £1600 will not buy you much at the moment.

Edited by pd on 28/10/2020 at 17:45

Incidentally, if it has a MOT I bet the Audi is worth £600-£700 all day long.

I read in Parker’s that the 220D made in2006 has no DPF but the later 200D has a DPF and piezo injectors.

Is this correct please ?

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Heidfirst

Been offered a 220 D with100k on the clock for £1650 from a neighbour.

Mot Til July 21 but no service history apart from a string of passes at MOT time.

Does this engine have a cam chain ? And will it be free of the DPF?

What year is it?

Yes, this engine can have issues with head/headgasket but that was resolved in later production (same engine in Avensis resolved from Feb 2009 production iirc).

It's chain driven.

If it has a 2AD-FTV it will be without DPF (actually a DPNR), if it's a 2AD-FHV it will have a DPNR. Will your (& more importantly the previous owner's) typical driving profile be one that is suited to a diesel & allowing a DPF/DPNR to regenerate?

Not at all the car has only covered about 3000 miles local runs average over the last Four years.

Thats my sort of mileage too.

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - gordonbennet

If it checks out well and shows no signs of head gasket issues i'd buy it, then give it a jolly good full service including the brakes asap.

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Heidfirst

Not at all the car has only covered about 3000 miles local runs average over the last Four years.

Thats my sort of mileage too.

Don't buy a diesel for that sort of use imo.

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Avant

"Im staggered because I always thought Lexus couldn’t put a foot wrong."

That reputation is based on the petrol and hybrid models, as is Toyota's. Even so, you should still look for one with a service history.

If the Audi is still keeping going, you have time to look around. If your budget won't stretch beyond the price of that Lexus, keep the Audi and try to save enough for something that will be a bit less of a risk.

I agree with you Avant.

Who would have thought Lexus /Toyota couldn’t produce a reliable diesel?

And of course they have had massive problems with their automated gearbox’s .

So they have abandoned diesels and let the Europeans tackle the impossibly stringent emissions rules and concentrate on hybrid.

Smart move as they , i understand are , selling hybrid technology to MB in return for the small number of Diesel engines they still need for some European markets.

This has really been an eye opener for me !

In fairness, they can and have produced many reliable diesels. They had one particular period with one engine that had issues. Most of these have now been fixed or are in the car park in the sky.

For me the question with this car is whether you could live with the driving experience rather than if it is any more unreliable than any £1600 car at the moment. An IS250 auto is a very nice car to drive....a IS220 manual less so.

Personally, if the aircon is an issue on the Audi I'd be tempted to just fixed a cheap second hand compressor, gas it up and see if it works. Just because the recommended repair is to replace the whole system due to contamination doesn't mean it won't work if you don't.

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Mincey

Check the Lexus Owners Club www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/forum/127-lexus-is.../ I would say beware. Were it an IS250 auto, I would advise biting his arm off....

Edited by Mincey on 29/10/2020 at 16:19

Lexus IS220D - May I have your views please - Moodyman

We have a 2007 car in the family.

It belonged to my late brother who bought it new. His usage involved regular motorway journeys and it's suited to these. Since it came to the family, it only ever does local journeys. It's way over-geared and seldom gets out of 3rd gear. Very notchy gear changes. Very rattly and thirsty engine - mpg in mid to low 20s locally. Cramped rear space. In fact a Yaris of the same period has more rear space.

Loads of EGR and DPF issues due to local use.

Parts very expensive as limited aftermarket so confined to dealerships. I had to buy a shock absorber from the USA (£120 delivery and taxes) as British prices were ridiculous (£250+).

I'm a Toyota/Lexus fan normally, but this diesel variant is naff. Avoid.

Only reason we still have it, is sentimental value. Only memory my elderly parents have of him. Parents don't drive so don't understand the ownership pain.