Skoda Octavia estate noise. - Oli rag

My son has use of a 68 plate Skoda Octavia estate 2.0 tdi and he was just saying how noisy he finds it, both engine and road noise.

I seem to remember people complaining before on here about the estate version. Is a petrol hatch octavia a quiet thing to drive?

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - bazza

I've had both but not recently, the estate is noisier in my opinion. The rear Tyres can wear oddly and contribute greatly to road noise. A change of Tyres makes a big difference. Noise aside, nice cars to own and drive, hugely practical. But for refinement, look at maybe the superb instead.

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - Big John

My son has a 16 plate 1.2tsi Octavia hatch that is pretty quiet. As well as being a petrol hatch this also might be the fact it's a poverty spec sitting on higher profile tyres (205/55 r16).

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - Manatee

I'm sure I've seen something about Octavias being noisy quite recently, possibly on here. Too little sound deadening?

Our Roomster had a real drone for the first 5 years of its life, always seemed to be from front wheels, usually the offside. It was seriously annoying and sounded to me like a wheel bearing or drive shaft. It disappeared when I changed all the tyres. They were Dunlops, like that from brand new. I've never had any luck with Dunlops, not that I've had many because years ago I had a set that just couldn't be balanced. The car is very quiet since it got some Goodyear Efficient Grips.

The type of noise is important. Oddly a quiet engine can sometimes highlight road noise which can be more annoying.

Edited by Manatee on 22/10/2020 at 20:47

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - gordonbennet

Tyre size make and type make the world of difference, and its possible to add additional soundproofing quite cheaply and easily for a reasonable DIYer, you'd be surpirsed what £50 worth of 10/12mm self adhesive insulation pads will do, beware though soundproofing can be addictive, next you'll find yourself remove the door cards and trimming in 8mm thick pads on the inner door skins :-)

A few duvets placed around the car, starting near the rear wheel arches, will help you eliminate the noise sources as it quietes down, engine noise means some contortions trying to infill lacking soundproofing around the bulkhead and front wheelarches behind those side trims in the footwell, it might need some additional bonnet insulation but that's got to be fireproof obviously.

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - Big John

you'd be surpirsed what £50 worth of 10/12mm self adhesive insulation pads will do, beware though soundproofing can be addictive,

Yes indeed. When I built a kit car way back when I found bitumen pads applied to most of the interior and door fibreglass surfaces made a huge difference to sound and more or less got rid of booming (which a fibre glass tub does!). I also put additional sound proofing felt behind the dash and around the transmission/rear axle tunnels.

Edited by Big John on 22/10/2020 at 21:32

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - bathtub tom

Our Roomster had a real drone for the first 5 years of its life, always seemed to be from front wheels, usually the offside. It was seriously annoying and sounded to me like a wheel bearing or drive shaft. It disappeared when I changed all the tyres. They were Dunlops, like that from brand new. I've never had any luck with Dunlops

Neither have I! I've had to ditch so many of them because of problems, I've never considered them (or their subsidiaries) for over twenty years.

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - daveyK_UK
Sound proofing is one of the cost cutting measures and why it’s badged Skoda not VW
Skoda Octavia estate noise. - Senexdriver

Oh dear. My wife’s Audi A3 came shod with Dunlop Sport Maxx SP2s. In 19,000 miles over 3 years I’ve been very impressed with them so when the Bridgestone Potenzas on my A4 perished rather worryingly, I replaced all 4 with the same Dunlops as my wife’s car. I suppose they have covered about 1000 miles so far and they seem fine. I hope they don’t give the same trouble as yours!

Skoda Octavia estate noise. - mcb100
I don’t know if it’s still the case on newer Ocatavia, but previous generation cars used to wear a ‘saw tooth’ pattern into the tread blocks of the rear tyres.
If you ran your hand around the tyre one way, it was smooth, but coming back the other way you would come across the raised edge of each block.
How many miles has it (or the rear tyres) done?