Build Quality - Martin Wall
There's an earlier posting about a Mondeo with a few glitches - missing seals, oil leak, etc. I took a look at Mondeo last month in my local Ford showroom and have to say the 'its almost like a Passat' line spun by What Car? among others had a hollow ring to it. The trim seemes very poor quality and the build quality seemed very poor. I know that it's supposed to be good to drive, but surely this doesn't augur well for long term durability? Or is it just a case that you should never buy a brand new model - give them a year to start putting them together properly and iron out the glitches?

In contrast the 'new' Passat, Volvo V70 and Rover 75 seemed very well put together from high quality materials.....surely the Rover or Passat is a better buy if not a better drive?
Re: Build Quality - Michael
guess it depends on what makes you happy and how long you intend to keep it. Personally, I like cars to have high standards of build quality and feel like they will last a long time, whereas others like the handling. I had a peugeot 405 for three years, beautiful handling and balance but terrible build quality. I loved it to bits when driving it, but would never buy another one due to the depression that came over me when forever trying to fix minor rattles, squeaks and component failures.
Re: Build Quality - Andy Bairsto
You pay your money and make your choice.I think thed Rover 75 is a superb car and sells through the model range at competative price against all commers.The base 75 costs 10500ukp upto the fully loaded with nav etc at 14500 in Germany,Mondeos base at 9800 upto 15500ukp
Re: Build Quality - Martin Wall
tell me these are 'pre-tax' prices....??? or are we *really* being ripped off in the UK
Re: Build Quality - Andy Bairsto
These prices include 16% German vat
Re: Build Quality - Martin Wall
That's outrageous - makes me consider running a LHD car in the UK. Are the specs vastly inferior?
Re: Build Quality - budu
My R-reg MGf had the worst build quality of any car I have encountered in recent years. Clearly, BMW's quality control had not been applied. I went back to tin-pot hatchbacks and was staggered to find that, for half the price, my X-reg Punto is first-class - except that it does not have the same excellent ride.